Technology @ PVAMU
- Duo - Two Factor Authentication: Campus-wide implementation date: November 6, 2017
- Data Use Agreement: Due Date: November 30, 2017
- Spirion - Data Loss Prevention Tool: Deployment Date: October 31, 2017
- IT Project Management Framework
Information Sessions available on
- October 20, 2017 @ 10AM
- October 27, 2017 @ 10AM
- November 3, 2017 @ 10AM
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a training/information session for your department, please contact Midhat Asghar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is some information regarding the upcoming initiatives.
Data Use Agreement
To comply with State of Texas (SB 1877) and Texas A&M University System requirements, all employees are required to sign PVAMU Data Use Agreement. The purpose of Data Use Agreement is to inform users of their principal obligations concerning the use of Institutional Information Resources, and to document their agreement to agree and abide by these obligations.
Click on the link to read and sign PVAMU Data Use Agreement
Let’s Do the Duo – Two Factor Authentication
DUO is an easy to use, two factor authentication solution to protect you and University Data! DUO is developed by DUO Security (www.duosecurity.com)
Key Dates for DUO Roll-out:
- Volunteer Opt-in: Enroll me in for DUO –Until: November 6th, 2017
- Campus-wide Roll-out: November 6th, 2017
- All users will be required to use DUO to access webmail and VPN after November 6th, 2017
For additional information on Duo, please visit Let’s Do the Duo
Information Technology Services will be deploying Spirion (formerly known as Identity Finder) to your workstations by October 31 2017. The deployment will not cause any disruption for users.
What is Spirion: Formerly known as Identity Finder, Spirion is a Data Loss Prevention tool. It helps identify location of stored confidential/ Personally Identifiable Information data such as Social Security Numbers, Driver License Numbers, Bank Account Number, and Credit Card Numbers. Spirion will search for Personally Identifiable Information (PII) in stored files, emails, and folders. Once the scan is complete user is prompted to review the results and remediate (false positive/ignore, delete, quarantine, etc.) PII found during the scan.
Why Spirion: Protecting University data is a shared responsibility. Confidential/PII data should NOT be stored on workstations or emails (PVAMU UAP IR 29.01.03.P0.22: Encryption of Confidential and Sensitive Information 29.01.03.P0.22). Spirion will help is identifying if such information is stored on users workstations.
Frequency of Scans:
- Scheduled Scans: Office of Information Resource Management will run monthly scans on 1st Friday of every month.
- On Demand Scans: User can initiate a scan at any time by launching Spirion application. Enter password to view/review results. Click on start button.
User Experience: The initial scan might take several hours to complete, but since the scans will be utilizing minimum CPU resources, users will NOT experience a change/drop in performance. Once the initial scan is complete, subsequent scans will be done much faster.
User Expectation: Users are expected to take action and remediate the results of the scans. If you have confidential information on your computer, please remove/delete it. If you have to retain it for legitimate business need, it should be stored on a network drive or Syncplicity – and NOT on workstations.
Additional information regarding Spirion can be found at www.pvamu.edu/spirion
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
IT Project Management & Prioritization:
Information Technology Governance Committee has developed Project Management Framework for all IT related Projects.
Project Intake Process:
- All other IT related projects should be submitted to the Chief Information Officer’s Office by emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Student Information System (Banner) related projects should be submitted to the Student Information system Governance Committee (SISGC) by emailing email@example.com
Project Classification & Prioritization:
- Project Complexity and Risk Assessment Template and Project Prioritization Matrix will be utilized to classify and prioritize projects.
- Projects can be submitted throughout the year; however, projects will be prioritized quarterly.
- Project scheduling cycle – Quarterly (December, March, June, September)
If you have any questions, concerns, comments, please feel free to contact us at ASKIT@pvamu.edu. If you would like to setup a meeting to discuss your IT needs, we would be happy to meet with you and your staff.