International Faculty & Staff

Hiring Foreign Nationals

When seeking to hire a non-immigrant worker, hiring departments should consult the Office of Human Resources prior to making any offer of employment.

H1-B Temporary Workers

The H1-B category can be used by Prairie View A&M University to employ a foreign national as a temporary worker in a "Specialty Occupation."  The law defines specialty occupation as an occupation that requires the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge to perform the occupation and requires the completion of a specific course of study, culminating in a baccalaureate degree or higher in a specific occupation specialty.

The position offered can be permanent in nature, but the employment relationship with the foreign national must be temporary.  The H1-B status can be obtained initially for any increment of time up to a three year period and may be extended to a maximum of six years.

J-1 Exchange Visitors/Professors/Scholars

Non-immigrant visa issued to exchange visitors who participate in programs that promote cultural exchange.

Employment Eligibility

The employer is required by law to complete the I-9 Form on all individuals to verify identity and employment eligibility.  The Office of Human Resources processes the I-9 Forms on the employee's first date of hire during New Employment Orientation.  Please visit HR Forms for the I-9 Form.