Now that your employment with Prairie View A&M University is coming to an end we hope the experience has been a positive contribution to your growth and development. To ensure that the experience remains positive, there are certain steps that must be taken to make your transition a smooth one. The information below provides a guide as to what needs to be done to complete your departure process from the university.
Effective January 10, 2014, all faculty/staff exit clearances will be performed through the Clearance Portal. For your convenience we have provided a Clearance Portal Tutorial for assistance with the steps in the clearance process. Thank you for all of your hard work.
Off – Boarding Process for Voluntary/ Involuntary Terminations
- The employee submits a letter of resignation to his/her immediate supervisor if resigning.
- The employee meets with his/her immediate supervisor to discuss the employee’s last day, in case of resignation.
- The supervisor provides the employee with a letter accepting the notification of resignation
- The employee schedules a clearance/exit meeting with the Leave Administrator and brings the letter of resignation/ termination.
- Department submits the Employee Payroll Action (EPA) to separate the employee as of his/her separation date.
- The employee must contact the Office of Human Resources to schedule a clearance/exit meeting prior to their last day in the case of a resignation or immediately after the date of termination.
- On the scheduled exit interview date, the employee will come to the Office of Human Resources, located in Harrington Science, Room 109 to complete the exiting process.
- The Leave Administrator will provide the employee with all of the necessary information and forms during their exit interview. In the exit interview, the employee completes the following items:
- Exit interview questionnaire
- W-2 forwarding mailing address
- Clearance Form and choosing an option for remaining vacation leave
- Teachers Retirement Withdrawal Form, if needed
- Cobra information
- The Leave Administrator sends out notifications to all appropriate parties as part of the University Clearance process to include:
- Department Head, Dean or Immediate Supervisor
- Treasury Services
- Information Resources
- Auxiliary Services
- Travel Office
- Financial Services (Pro-Card)
- Human Resources
- University Police
- Financial Services (Time and Effort)
- Each of the departments notified must respond within 24 business hours to the Office of Human Resources to confirm that the employee is cleared.
- The Leave Administrator will receive notifications from the clearing departments on if the employee is effectively cleared from the perspective areas.
- The Leave Administrator checks for the EPA terminating the employee as of their effective termination date.
- On the employee’s last day, he/she will turn in all keys, uniforms and any other departmental assets/items to his/her department.
- Once the termination process is complete, the Leave Administrator will file all personnel and leave information.
- An employee may elect to be paid in a lump sum upon separation. If it is mutually agreeable to both the employee and employer, an employee may elect to remain on the payroll in a budgeted or wage position for the period of accrued vacation. An employee who remains on the payroll in this status will retain all group benefits, but may not use their sick leave, accrued sick leave, or accrued vacation leave.
- If a lump sum termination pay is elected, the employee’s department and the Office of Human Resources are responsible for reconciling the employee’s unused leave balance to ensure the correct balance is identified. The number of reconciled hours will be documented in a Lump Sum Payment letter from the Office of Human Resources to the terminating employee’s Supervisor.
- The terminating employee’s Supervisor is responsible for initiating the lump sum termination pay request for the reconciled number of hours by completing a Payroll Adjustment Form and processing it through the normal approval channels.
Should you have further questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com
Prairie View A&M University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Ms. Alexia Taylor, Title IX Coordinator, has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies.
Ms. Taylor can be reached at P.O. Box 519; MS 1100 A.I Thomas Bldg. Suite 102 Prairie View, Texas 77446 or by calling 936-261-2123.
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, visit http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OCR/contactus.cfm `for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.