Graduate Studies Forms

The Office of Graduate Studies is the primary source of information for advanced degrees at Prairie View A&M University. Similarly, the Graduate Catalog is the official sourcebook to graduate programs at the University.  Faculty, staff, and students should refer to the forms below for most graduate academic policies and procedures.

Please note forms related to the Thesis, Dissertation, and Doctoral Project can be found using the Thesis and Dissertation Process link.

Forms related to scholarship opportunities can be found using the Funding Your Graduate Education link.

Academic Degree Plan and Candidacy

A graduate student should file a degree plan within the first semester of matriculation in the university. The major advisor, department head, academic dean, and dean of Graduate Studies review and approve the degree plan.

A graduate student admitted to full degree status does not automatically become a candidate for the master’s degree. A candidacy form must be submitted and approved by the department head, academic dean, and dean of Graduate Studies.  Advancement to candidacy for doctoral programs is governed by the procedures of the program. Information for the specific program is found in the graduate catalog under the degree description.

Degree Plan

Candidacy Form

Transfer Credit

Graduate credit earned at another accredited institution, not exceeding six (6) semester hours, may be transferred and applied toward the master’s or the doctorate degree at Prairie View A&M University. Only courses with a grade of “B” or better may be transferred.  Under no circumstances will transfer course work be considered that will be more than six (6) years old at the time the degree is awarded.

Transfer Credit Form

Request to Revalidate Course(s)

A student must complete requirements for the master’s degree within six consecutive years after the first date of enrollment in Graduate Studies. Credit for individual courses completed in residence between six and seven years before all requirements for the master’s degree are completed may be re- validated by special examination given by the department concerned. A course in which a grade of “C” was earned cannot be re-validated.  Information for specific doctoral programs is found in the graduate catalog under the degree description.

Request to Revalidate Courses

Approval to Revalidate Courses

Academic Dismissal Appeal

All graduate students are required to maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade-point average. If a student’s cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 during any semester of enrollment, the student will be placed on academic probation. In the next semester of enrollment, the student must raise his/her GPA to 3.0 or above or be dismissed from Graduate Studies.

A student wishing to appeal an academic dismissal must complete the Graduate Student Academic Dismissal Appeal Packet.

Academic Appeal Packet

Graduate Student Academic Appeal College Recommendation Form

Undergraduate Request to Enroll in Graduate Courses

A University senior who is within 12 semester hours of completing the requirements for an undergraduate degree may, upon being recommended by the department head and the dean of the school or college, register for up to six (6) semester hours of graduate courses while completing undergraduate degree requirements.  A student must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75.

Undergraduate students may take up to six hours

Undergraduate Request to take Graduate Course Form (pdf)

Application for Graduation

A student who plans to receive a degree from Prairie View A&M University must apply for graduation online via PantherTracks, a semester before the anticipated graduation date. Students are to apply by the published deadline available on the website via the academic calendar for each graduation semester (fall, spring, or summer).  Students completing work required for a degree must be enrolled during the term in which the work is completed and the application for graduation is filed.

Application for Graduation

Registration in Absentia

Students wishing to register in absentia for a given semester must have met all requirements for a specific degree.  Registration in absentia allows a student to participate in activities required of an enrolled student such as facility use (e.g. library) and the ability to apply for graduation.

Registration in Absentia Form

Nonresident Tuition Waiver

An individual employed at least half time by a public institution of higher education in Texas as a research or teaching assistant, and his/her spouse and children, may enroll while paying the resident tuition rate.

Nonresident Tuition Waiver Form

Reevaluation of Credentials

Reevaluation of Credentials Form

Office of Admission Graduate Student Recommendation Form

The Office of Admission requires three letters of recommendation for application to graduate study.  Students may use the form below, but should inquire directly with the intended program to determine if a written letter is required for admission consideration.

Recommendation for Graduate Study Form