Scholarship FAQ’s


How do I apply for undergraduate scholarships at Prairie View A&M University?

Incoming freshmen and transfer students are automatically considered for the University Merit and Transfer scholarships upon successful admission to the university. Students currently enrolled at Prairie View A&M University should complete the general scholarship application in order to be considered for scholarships offered through the Office of Student Financial Aid.  All students should also contact their individual college or department and financial aid administrator at their extended campuses for additional scholarship opportunities.  The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is highly recommended, even if you think you may not be eligible for any funds.  The FAFSA is required for those who wish to be considered for need-based scholarships and grants.

If I receive a scholarship from Prairie View A& M University that will pay my tuition, must the scholarship be applied to tuition only? What happens if I have more than one scholarship that is supposed to pay my tuition?

Most scholarships at Prairie View A&M University with a tuition value are not restricted to paying tuition only.  Scholarship funds can be used to pay for other educational related expenses or charges if other resources, including another tuition specific scholarship will pay your tuition. However, if the scholarship specifically states that it may cover tuition only, then another form of aid may be reduced in lieu of the tuition only award. One tuition only payment, in some cases, may cancel out another tuition only payment.


If I do not qualify for any university scholarship as an incoming freshman and the FAFSA determines that I have no “financial need”, are there any other funds available that I may apply for?

Yes. Check with your college or department to find out if you are eligible for any of the scholarship funds they administer; you must however complete the applicable application and complete the review process. You could also explore funding through external resources such as any religious affiliations or the Prairie View A&M University Alumni Association chapter in your area. As another alternative, you may also visit the financial aid office to inquire about loans.

Do I need to accept my scholarship once I am awarded?

Incoming freshmen, current students, and transfer students who are awarded a Scholarship must accept or decline the scholarship offer by the due date indicated on the award agreement.  If the scholarship is not accepted by the due date, the scholarship funds will be forfeited.

As a University scholarship recipient (Regents and Presidential), can I drop below the required 15 semester hours in a fall or spring semester and retake the class that I dropped in the summer?

No.  All academic scholarship recipients must complete a total of 30 credit hours at the end of the Spring semester and earn a cumulative G.P.A. of  a 3.0 for Presidential and Regents must earn a cumulative G.P.A. of a 3.2.

If I have questions regarding my University Scholarship, should I talk to my academic adviser?

No. All questions regarding your University scholarship should be addressed by a member of the scholarship staff within the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Can my University scholarship be extended beyond eight semesters?

A student’s university scholarship may be extended beyond eight semesters in approved circumstances only. Any scholar who wishes to extend their university scholarship must request consideration in writing and provide supporting evidence to the university scholarship appeals committee.

Can I transfer my university scholarship to another university?

No. University scholarship recipients who choose to leave Prairie View A&M University to attend another university will NOT be allowed to transfer their University  scholarship. Students must apply for scholarships at the university they plan to attend.

How is my University scholarship applied to my fees?    

All University scholarship funds are applied to the students’ account upon complete registration.

Can I receive a University scholarship to attend graduate school if I do not use all of my scholarship funds awarded to me within the eight semesters?

No. Once a student completes his/her undergraduate studies, that student has then concluded the tenure of their academic scholarship.

If I accept a co-op who do I need to notify?

You must notify career services to complete a Leave of Absence Form.  This form must be signed by the director of career services and must be accompanied with a copy of the offer letter to co-op from the company.  Your University scholarship will be placed on hold for one spring or fall semester.

Will I be charged out-of-state tuition if I accept the University scholarship?

Yes. All out-of-state students will be charged out-of-state tuition, however recipients of the Regents and Presidential Scholarship will receive an out-of-state tuition waiver.

If I fall below 30 semester credit hours and/or a cumulative of a 3.0/3.2 G.P.A. at the end of the Spring semester will I lose my scholarship?

Yes. You must maintain all scholarship requirements to continuously receive your University scholarship.

If I forfeit my scholarship, can I re-apply for the University  scholarship?

No. Students may not re-apply for a University scholarship. Students have the option, however to apply for other scholarships that may be available.

Do I have to complete a FAFSA to receive a scholarship?

No. We highly recommend that a FAFSA be completed each aid year. Completing a FAFSA may help to qualify you for additional need-based funding such as work-study, grants, and even need-based scholarships and loans.

How will I know if I have been awarded a University scholarship?

You will receive correspondence to your University email informing you of your scholarship offer.


Due to limited funding, all students that apply for a scholarship will not necessarily receive funds from a scholarship for which they might otherwise be eligible.  Every effort is made to distribute available scholarship funds to as many eligible students as possible.

Prairie View A&M University makes every effort to provide accurate and current information.  The university reserves the right to change without notice any statement due to federal, state, or university changes in policies, procedures, or regulations.

How are third party scholarship checks submitted on behalf of a student attending  Prairie View A&M University?

Click here for more information on Third Party scholarship check submission