Yonggao Yang, Ph.D.
Dr. Yonggao Yang is a tenured professor and the Department Head in the Department of Computer Science at Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) in Texas. He joined CS Department at PVAMU as an Assistant Professor in August 2002 immediately upon receiving a Ph.D. degree in Information Technology & Computer Science from George Mason University (Fairfax, VA). He worked as a faculty member at Southwest Jiaotong University (Chengdu, China) during 1987 through 1998.
Dr. Yang’s research interests include Smart Human Computer Interface, Smart Sensor Systems, Computer Graphics, Scientific Visualization, Distributed Virtual Reality Learning/Training Environment, and Computer Networks.
Major Research Projects
- “Intel HBCU Grant Initiatives (PVAMU),” Intel, $650,000, 9/2017—8/2020 (PI)
- “CBG – Establishing a Novel Livestock Diagnostic Information Delivery System Phase II,” awarded by Department of Agriculture with the total of $217,063, 5/2017—5/2020. (Co-PI)
- “Acquisition of Big Data Analytics Instruments for Research and Education in Big Military Data Intelligence at PVAMU”, awarded by DoD with the total of $498,819. 2016-207. (Co-PI)
- Animal Health Management Information Reporting and Sharing System,” PVAMU mini-grant, Summer 2016, $20,000.
- Center of Excellence in Research and Education for Big Military Data Intelligence (CREDIT)”, awarded by DoD, with the total of $5M. 2015 – 2020. (Co-PI)
- “Drone Controlling System and Application,” awarded by NSF (sub-contract), $8,500. June 2015 – July 31, 2016. (PI)
- “Using gaming technology to create a visualization of a hazardous operation,” Northrop Grumman, Sep. 2014 – Dec. 2015. ($18,000)
- “Mobile Environmental Massive Data Collection,” awarded by NSF (sub-contract), $8,500. June 2014 – July 31, 2015. (PI)
- “BPC -DP: Building Computing Aptitude, Confidence, and Engagement for Students (Computing ACES),”awarded by NSF with the total amount of $599,085. March 2010 ~ 12/2015. (Co-PI)
- “Intelligent Energy Supply Control System Study and Renewable Energy Science Education Initiative,” TMCF, $100K, 6/2011~7/2012. (PI)
- “Target Infusion Grant: Infusing the Tablet PC and Problem Based Learning into Computer Science Curriculum to Enhance Student Ability in Computing Problem Analysis and Software Design,” Awarded by NSF, $170K, 9/2010~12/2013. (PI)
- “Thurgood Marshall College Fund Technology Awards for Faculty Innovation in Education,” awarded by TMCF with the total amount of $60,000 for one year starting from Sep. 2010. (PI)
- “MRI: Acquisition of a PowerWall Virtual Reality System for Enabling Research/Teaching in Virtual Prototyping,” Funded by NSF (awarded no.: 0923447, awarded amount: $216,779), effective 10/1/2009.
- “Feasibility and Applications of RFID Technologies to Support Right of Way Functions,” Funded by TxDoT ($78,697); 2008~2009 (Co-PI)
- “Asset Management for Safety and Operations” , Funded by TxDoT ($104,553); 2008~2010 (Co-PI)
- “Benchmarking and Improving Texas Rural Public Transportation Systems,” Funded by the TxDoT ($25,244); 2008~2009. (Co-PI)
- “A Virtual Reality Infrastructure for Enhancing Undergraduate Math Teaching and Learning,” Funded by the Department of Education ($381,221). A five-year project starting from Oct. 1, 2007. (Co-PI)
- David Zhou, Y. Yang, and H. Yan, “A Smart Virtual Eye Mobile System for the Visually Impaired”, IEEE Potentials Nov./Dec. 2016.
- Y. Yang and L. Li, “A smart sensor system for air quality monitoring and massive data collection,” Proc. International Conference on ICT convergence 2015, Oct. 27-30, 2015.
- Y. Yang, etc., “Design and Implementation of a Remote Resident Power Monitor and Control System,” IEEE Potentials; July/August 2015, Vol.34, No.4, pp.19-23.
- Y. Yang and L. Li, “Design and Implement a Smart e-Receptionist,” IEEE Potentials, Vol. 32, No. 4, July/August 2013, pp. 22-27.
- Y. Yang, X. Wang, and L. Li, “Use Mobile Devices to Wirelessly Operate Computers,” International Journal of Technology and Human Interaction (IJTHI), Vol. 9, No. 1, January-March 2013, pp. 64-77.
- Y. Yang and L. Li, “Expose Engineering Students to Renewable Energy Science and Experiment Intelligent Energy Supply Control System,” American Journal of Engineering Education, 2013.
- Y. Yang and L. Li, “Turn Nintendo Wiimote into Handheld Computer Mouse,” IEEE Potentials, Vol. 30, No. 1, Jan/Feb 2011, pp.12-16.
- S Cui, Y. Wang, Y. Yang, F. Nave, and K. Harris, “Connecting Incoming Freshmen with Engineering Through Hands-On Projects,” American Journal of Engineering Education, Oct., 2011.
- Jian-ao Lian and Y. Yang, “A New Cross Subdivision Scheme for Surface Design,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 374, Issue 1, February , 2011, pp. 244-257.
- Y. Yang and J. Lian, “Make 3D Object Surfaces Smoother: Two New Interpolating Subdivision Schemes,” IEEE Computing in Science and Engineering, May/June 2010, pp. 44-50.
- Jian-ao Lian, Yonghui Wang, and Y. Yang, “Circular Nonlinear Subdivision Schemes for Curve Design,” Applications and Applied mathematics: An International Journal (AAM), Vol.4, No. 1, June 2009, ISBN: 1939-9466, pp 1 – 12.
- Y. Wang, S. Cui, Y. Yang, and J. Lian, “Virtual Reality Mathematic Learning Module for Engineering Students,” Technology Interface Fournal, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2009, pp 1 – 10.
- Y. Yang and J. Lian, “Make 3D Object Surfaces Smoother: Two New Interpolating Subdivision Schemes,” submitted to an IEEE magazine; 2008
- Y. Yang, A. Lodgher, and S. Xing, “Bring Rigid Bodies to Life,” IEEE Potentials, Vol. 26, No. 5, Sep./Oct., 2007, pp. 26-31.
- Y. Yang, A. Lodgher, and W. Zhang, “Reconstruct 3D Objects from 2D Boundaries,” IEEE Potentials, Nov./Dec., 2006, pp. 8-13.
- Y. Yang and A. Lodgher, “Use 3D Graphics Learning Environment to Help Comprehend Non-Intuitive Concepts,” Computers in Education Journal, Vol. XVI, No. 4, October/December 2006, pp.51-57.
- Y. Yang, V. Soto, and A. Lodgher, “Raster to Scalable Vector Graphics Conversion,” Journal on Graphics, Vision and Image Processing (ICGST), Special Issue on Image Retrieval and Representation, March 2006.
- Y. Yang, M. Beheshit, and X. Wang, “Blurry When Wet: Animating Raindrop Behavior,” IEEE Potentials, August/September 2005, pp. 33-36.
- Y. Yang, J. Chen, and M. Beheshit, “Nonlinear Projections and Magic Lenses: 3D View Deformation,” IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications, Vol. 25, No. 1, Jan./Feb., 2005, pp.76-84.
- Y. Yang and J. Chen, “Real-Time Simulation: Water Droplets on Glass Windows,” IEEE Computing in Science and Engineering, Vol. 6, No.4, July/August 2004, pp. 69-73.
- Y. Yang and J. Chen, “Gene Expression Clustering and 3D Visualization,” IEEE Computing in Science and Engineering, Sep./Oct., 2003, pp. 37-43.
- Y. Yang and J. Chen, “Nonlinear Projection: Using Deformations in 3D Viewing,” IEEE Computing in Science and Engineering, Vol. 5, No.2, March/April 2003, pp. 54-59.
- Y. Yang and J. Chen, “Rendering Avatars in Virtual Reality: Integrating 3D Model with 2D Images,” IEEE Computing in Science and Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 1, Jan/Feb 2002, pp. 86-91.
- J. Chen, Y. Yang, and X. Wang, “Physics-Based Modeling and Real-time Simulation,” IEEE Computing in Science and Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 3, May/June 2001, pp. 98-102.
- Y. Yang and J. Chen, “3D Graphics Formats and Conversions,” IEEE Computing in Science and Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 5, September/October 2000. pp. 82-87.
- Y. Yang and Q. Pan, “The Design and Analysis of a New Reliable Multicast Protocol for DVE,” Chinese Journal of Computers, Vol.22, No.4, May 1999.
- Y. Yang, “A Network Architecture and Protocol for DVE,” Journal of Southwest Jiaotong University, Vol. 31, No.2, February 1999.