Substance Abuse Workshops

Where is Dr. Angela Broadus? The training specialist at Prairie View A&M University’s Texas Juvenile Crime Prevention Center could be anywhere. Her job involves educating the public about substance abuse and how to prevent it.

“When I began my journey at PVAMU two years ago, I developed an educational program that focuses on reducing juvenile delinquency and crime in Texas,” said Broadus.

Broadus has provided more than 40 workshops across the state of Texas to criminal justice and social service professionals such as police officers, teachers, attorneys, and social workers. She also offers the workshop to churches.“My goal is to educate as many people as I can.” Her workshops assist individuals who work with juveniles and teenagers. The workshops cover a variety of topics that build awareness around substance use, misuse, and dependence, including how attitudes and beliefs drive behavior and how to reduce the risk of substance use and misuse. Each two-hour workshop provides two continuing education units as well.

“I’m doing these workshops as a service to the citizens of Texas and to provide awareness of all the great things that are happening at PVAMU,” said Broadus. “The workshops are a great way to help agencies across the state because many agencies have limited budgets. We, however, can provide training at no cost or limited cost to these agencies. The training sessions are a valuable resource to raise awareness about drug use among our youth and reduce the stigma that surrounds the disease of addiction.”

To learn more about Dr. Angela Broadus’ substance abuse workshops with the Texas Juvenile Crime Prevention Center, contact her at 936-261-5258 or adbroadus@pvamu.edu.

###

-This story by Marchita Shilo originally appeared in Academic Insights.