Dietetics Internship Program
The Dietetic Internship (DI) Program is offered through the Department of Agriculture Nutrition and Human Ecology at Prairie View A&M University. The program is based upon accreditation standards established by:
The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the credentialing agency for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000,
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
1-(800)-877-1600 ext. 5500
Students who successfully complete the internship will be verified for eligibility to write the Registration Examination leading to credentialing as a registered dietitian (RD).
For questions or more information, please contact Dr. Sharon McWhinney, Professor & Internship Director, at (936) 261-2510 or slmcWhinney@pvamu.edu.
Second Round Match Instructions
For instructions on the second round application process, please go to the Admission for the Dietetic Internship webpage.
Mission & Philosophy
The mission of the Prairie View A&M University Dietetics Internship (DI) Program is to provide excellent supervised practice experience and high quality education that will provide students with the necessary education and professional competencies essential to entry level dietetic practitioners.
The goals of Prairie View A&M University dietetic internship program are as follow:
|I. The program will promote diversity in the field of dietetics.
- Graduates of the DI will represent a diverse population with no more than 80% non-minority over a 5 year period.
|II. The program will attract, retain, and graduate qualified candidates in the field of dietetics.
- Over a 5 year period, 80% of the DI graduates will successfully complete the registration examination as first time takers.
- 80% of graduates seeking employment or admission to graduate programs will be successful within 3 months of program completion.
- 90% percent of interns enrolled in the DI program are expected to complete all program requirements within 150% of the time planned for completion.
- When surveyed at least 90% of graduates will rate themselves as satisfied with their level of preparation.
|III. The program will prepare graduates with leadership and professional development experience.
- All interns (100%) will indicate participation in leadership workshop activities during the internship program.
- All (100%) interns will indicate active participation in conferences or other professional activities during the internship program.
|IV. Prepare graduates for employment in School Foodservice Management [SFSM] positions.
- 100% of graduates will indicate satisfaction in their preparation for employment in school foodservice management positions.
- When surveyed at least 90% of employers of graduates in SFSM will indicate satisfaction with graduates’ performance and knowledge.
- Over a 5 year period at least 30% of graduates will have worked in a food service position.