Dr. Paul Johnson, Research Specialist in the Cooperative Agricultural Research Center (CARC), and his team members Dr. Ojumu, Oluwagbemiga of the PVAMU College of Business, and Brett L Cornwell of Texas A&M University (Mentor) received funding for his proposal from the National Science Foundation I-FAST commercialization grant. This award is given to eight (8) team each year to seek funding opportunities for their project. He has previously receive funding for the 1890 Capacity building Grant program to develop an app which will help farmers with animal health issues. Dr. Johnson is presently working with Dr. Yang from the computer science department in developing this app.

Realizing the commercial possibility of this app, he was encouraged to seek available opportunities towards commercializing his idea. His application was one of the eight that was chosen for funding. As noted on the USDA-NIFA website, the aim of the I-FAST Competition “is to develop and implement the Innovations in Food and Agricultural Science and Technology (I-FAST) Program. USDA NIFA in partnership with the National Science Foundation (NSF) Innovation Corps (I-Corps) provides entrepreneurship training to USDA NIFA grantees under this I-FAST program. The goal is to identify valuable product opportunities that can emerge from NIFA supported academic research. Selected USDA NIFA I-FAST project teams will have the opportunity to concurrently participate in the educational programs with NSF I-Corps awardees.”

Dr. Johnson and other USDA NIFA supported teams in the I-FAST program will learn what it will take to achieve an economic impact with their particular innovation. The final goal of the I-FAST Competition is to facilitate technology transfer of innovations that can make an impact in the marketplace and the global economy. His project aims to expand upon two previously funded projects. He and his team will be seeking commercialization opportunities for the app he is developing.

This funding will allow Dr. Johnson and his team to receive additional support in the form of mentoring, training, and funding to accelerate the translation of knowledge derived from fundamental research projects into emerging products and services that can attract subsequent third-party funding. He and his team will be required to participate in Entrepreneurial Immersion courses provided by the NSF I-Corps program. Each team is required to participate in the following NSF I-CORP activities: 1) Attendance by the entire team at an on-site three-day NSF I-CORP Entrepreneurial Immersion course; 2) Participation in the I-CORPs weekly Webinars following the in-person three day on-site meeting; 3) Completion of approximately 15 hours of preparation per week over the duration of the program; 4) Attendance at a two-day lessons learned in-person meeting at the end of the training.

The NSF I-Corps is a program specifically designed to broaden the impact of select, basic research projects by preparing scientists and engineers to focus beyond the laboratory.

Paul Johnson, Ph.D.
Paul Johnson, Ph.D.
Research Specialist
(936) 261-5029
pmjohnson@pvamu.edu

Dr. Ali Fares
Ali Fares Ph.D.
Associate Director for Research
(936) 261-5019
alfares@pvamu.edu