The Tri-Ag Volume 1, No. 6 September 2015

Page 1

College of Agriculture and Human Sciences

September 2015 Vol.1 No.6

Prairie View, TX

McNary Awarded

10,000 SCHOLARSHIP

$

1

Thank You for your participation in the Fall2015PVCAHS 2

Career Fair

Goat or Cow? You decide.

is published by Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, Department of Marketing Communications & Information Technology Dean and Director of Land Grant Programs Dr. Alton B. Johnson Director of Marketing, Communications & iT LaRachelle Smith Editor and Media and Publications Coordinator Maurice Perkins Photographer/Graphic Designer Michael Thomas Contributing Photographers Maurice Perkins Yanique Rhule Paris Kincaid Contributing Writers Maurice Perkins Danielle Hairston-Green Michael Thomas Jimmy Henry

Jakari Bates In America, people generally eat beef,

chicken, pork, or fish when they want to add more protein to their diets. Meats other than the four types of meat mentioned are not as commonly eaten and are considered ethnic or specialty meats. Mutton is a type of meat that is very common in many parts of the world, but not so popular in the United States. Mutton, another name for goat meat, is actually the most widely consumed meat in the world. So why don’t Americans love to consume goat like the rest of the world? In many ways, goat meat is healthier than cow meat, which is the preferred red meat of most Americans. Goat meat is a red meat that is rich in protein like beef, and is very lean. It is considered a healthy alternative to beef and chicken because it is lower in calories, fat, and cholesterol. Goat meat has about .79 grams of saturated fat per serving, which is relatively low when compared to beef and chicken, which have about 3 grams and 1.7 grams, respectively. In addition, Goats are also easier and less expensive to raise than cows. Many researchers and farmers are trying to improve the image of goat meat in the United States, with the hopes of goat meat appearing more often on American dinner tables. Researchers at Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) have joined the effort in giving goats a bigger place in American cuisine and agriculture. “Developing Value-Added Caprine Products at PVAMU” is a research project being led by Dr. Eric Risch at PVAMU’s Cooperative Agricultural Research Center. The research is focused around developing more food products from goat meat and goat milk. The development of these products is mainly to accommodate the American palate, which is accustomed to chicken and beef. The products include items such as goat: sausage, cheese, and milk ice cream. Many people think of goat meat as being a tough, chewy meat which requires several hours cooking in the oven that also has a strong and pungent flavor. The researchers are developing sausages that use different ratios of goat meat, along with other types of meats, such as beef and pork, to make the taste more appealing to Americans. They also seek to develop methods of improving the shelf life and processing time of these products. For more information about Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences goat research, visit: www.pvamu.edu/carc.

3

Contributing Proofreaders Wash Jones, PhD KellEy Redmon Danielle Hairston-Green Crystal Wiltz, PhD Joaquina Kankam This work is supported by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, the EvansAllen 1890 Research Formula Program and the 1890 Extension Formula Program project under Section 1444 and Section 1445. The contents are solely the responsibility of the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences and do not necessarily represent the official views of the USDA or NIFA.

Send news, story ideas and comments to:

250 E.M. Norris St. | P.O. Box 519, MS 2001 Prairie View, Tx 77446 cahscomm@pvamu.edu This publication available electronically www.pvamu.edu/cahs/e-publications

www.pvamu.edu/cahs

 

Current Locations Prospective Locations

Homeowners Benefit from Program

T

he Community & Economic Development Unit of the Cooperative Extension Program at Prairie View A&M (PVAMU) has partnered with USDA Rural Development to train, counsel, and provide business opportunities to entrepreneurs interested in starting a business in energy auditing and

home weatherization. The Rural Energy Efficiency Training (REET) and Outreach Initiative is a program that originated from the need for residential and commercial buildings to be more energy efficient, minimize energy consumption, and reduce the strain on nuclear plants to produce energy.

Making an Impact

Partnerships Grow In total, 22 of 30 individuals passed their building analysis written exams exceeding the national testing average of 40%. One participant tripled her business income since finishing the course, recently received three $100,000 contracts and plans to expand and hire others from the training

Another participant received a $100,000 contract and is looking to get more. (Statewide 2014)

4

The program was designed to provide opportunities to limited resource individuals aspiring to become business owners in a new and growing green industry. Cities in Texas, like Austin, now require energy audits on homes and businesses that include remodeling, new construction, and real estate sales. With there being a shortage of available local professionals who can conduct energy audits in Texas, and the growing need for this service throughout the State, the benefits of this program were obvious. Program participants are trained and certified to become Building Analysis Professionals capable of conducting energy audit reports and simple repairs that address air loss, duct leakages, heat exchange, and potential building safety hazards. Participants are taught how to assess air pressures in the home, identify air leakages, measure carbon monoxide levels, determine insulation requirements, suggest lighting types and make appliance recommendations. PVAMU and its partners designed the program to include prep-course training, 1-week of building analysis exam training, 1-week of building analysis field exam training, 1-week of Energy Audit business training, and 1-week of internship opportunities.

that Efficiency The certification received is recognized nationally by energy providers and the

Energy Audit Industry and required by most energy companies when contracting with them. As a part of the program, Prairie View A&M University Cooperative Extension Program staff works with the participants to establish their business and connect them with potential business clients such as local energy providers and local contractors through networking events. To supplement business start-up costs, energy audit equipment is made available on loan during the 1st year of the program, a savings of up to $7,000.00 for each business owner. Homeowners benefit greatly from this program as well, receiving greater access to Energy Auditors. Energy audits pinpoint deficiencies in the home, which in turn will save the homeowner on their monthly utilities and well as add life to their home. There are governmental programs available, which subsidize energy audits. Contact your electric provider or the Public Utilities Commission of Texas for more details on how you may qualify. by Jimmy Henry, CED Program Leader

Rural Energy Efficiency Training To participate contact Christopher Cotton ,

PVAMU Community and Economic Development Program Specialist (936) 261-5123

5

F l ash b ac k

Cover Story

F l ash b ac k

Monsanto Fund Awards PVAMU’s Kaylin McNary

10,000

$

Scholarship

E

Maurice Perkins

very year, approximately 25,000 jobs in agriculture remain unfilled due to a lack of qualified applicants. The field of agriculture is more than farming—there are thousands of careers in a variety of fields, including science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) and much more. The Monsanto Company has been committed to recognizing high achieving students from underrepresented groups interested in pursuing degrees in agriculture and STEM related fields through their scholarship programs. One such recognition is awarded to Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) College of Agriculture and Human Sciences student, Ms. Kaylin Rénell McNary. Ms. McNary is a recent recipient of the $10,000 Monsanto Fund 1890s Student Scholarship. A native of Houston, Texas, Kaylin graduated in 2012 from Kashmere Senior High School as Class Valedictorian. Her high school achievements include President of the National Honor Society and Captain of the Varsity Cheer Squad. Additional awards and scholarships include the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Metropolitan Scholarship and the PVAMU College of Agriculture and Human Sciences Scholarship. In spite of a busy academic and civic schedule, Kaylin still finds time to participate in social activities and organizations. Kaylin is the President of the campus Livestock

6

Team, Historian of Minorities in Agriculture Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS), Eta Beta chapter Corresponding Secretary of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc., and the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and Rodeo Club. Kaylin will use the scholarship to continue her undergraduate degree in Animal Science from PVAMU and pursue a Master’s degree from Texas A&M University. She looks forward to a promising career with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) under the Animal Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS). Ms. McNary credits Dr. Wash Jones, Professor, PVAMU College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, for advising and sharing agricultural opportunities, particularly, the Monsanto Fund 1890s Student Scholarship. The Monsanto Fund 1890s Student Scholarship is part of the company’s broader focus on innovation and investment in agriculture. To meet the challenges the world faces in feeding nine billion people by 2050, Monsanto is investing in future leaders who are pursuing STEM careers in food and agriculture. The company’s belief is that the next generation of innovators will be the ones to rise and meet the challenges of global food security. To learn more about Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences efforts and contributions to global food security, visit

www.pvamu.edu/Project2050 or use this QR Code

Interview with Kaylin McNary Junior Animal Sciences Student in the CAHS

What made you decide to attain the degree you are pursuing?

I have always had a huge interest in animal science and a passion for livestock especially cows and horses. Agriculture is such an amazing field that encompasses so much and I didn’t see a better field because, in actuality it (agriculture) is the basis of everything.

Explain your childhood.

My parents have been extremely supportive throughout all of my endeavors. They have always emphasized the importance of education and have gone the extra mile to make sure that I was excelling and succeeding in everything I did.

Were you interested in Ag as a youth?

Yes, I was interested in Ag because as a child, I along with my cousins would ride in the back of my grandpa’s truck to go feed the family cows. It was always exciting and I couldn’t wait to go out there and be around the cattle. It was always very interesting to me but I didn’t expect my interest to grow as much as it did. As I grew up and I started working very closely with my father, is when I became interested in every little detail, from the overall keeping of cattle, working and vaccinating to all aspects of ranch management.

Why PVAMU?

I chose to attend PVAMU because I was told that they had a very competitive ‘ag program’ and I wanted to go to school somewhere where the classroom sizes would be smaller and I would be able to truly grasp what I was learning and be able to have a great relationship with my professors. I am also a fourth generation student at PVAMU, from my great-grandmother on down to my sister are all PV graduates and over 40 of my immediate family members have attended PVAMU. It is truly a family legacy and I wanted to continue that.

What will you do with your degree?

I have hopes of entering into a promising career with the USDA under the Animal Plant Health Inspection Services concentrating on animal health and animal welfare. I also have a special interest in large ruminants and beef cattle, so alongside my career, I plan to be involved in the beef cattle industry.

What was your first reaction when you found out you were a recipient of the Monsanto Fund 1890s Student Scholarship?

I was very ecstatic and excited when I got the phone call because I knew there were many that applied for this scholarship and I was glad the scholarship board saw fit for me to be one of the recipients. The first person I told was my grandmother, and she began to tell me how proud of me she was. A few minutes before telling her about the scholarship, I told her I made all A’s this semester so she told me multiple times how I am making her proud and that I can do anything I put my mind to.

Any hobbies?

My hobbies include attending rodeos and participating in barrel racing events, raising and working with cattle, reading, participating in community service projects and spending time with family.

7

Insure Your Life knowing that the life insurance existed, they simply do not know

I am a grandma! Yes! I never knew how much of a blessing it would be to become a grandma because initially I was more concerned

where the policies are, what insurance company the policies were

about being so young (I was 36 when I found out my first grandbaby

drawn under, or who is the beneficiary (which is another set of drama).

was coming). But as the years progress, and grandbaby number 2 and

When my father passed he didn’t have his own individual policy but he

3 arrived, I began to realize that this ‘grandma thing’ is pretty cool.

worked and had the policy through his employer. So, it made it easier

Every year millions of babies are born to young families confused and

for us to identify where the policy was but because we didn’t know

unprepared for the challenges of raising a family. Of course, with the

who the beneficiary of the policy was it was a nightmare trying to get

support of family and friends it becomes easier, more manageable, and

the financial information about the policy in order to properly plan out

ultimately more enjoyable. But, the one thing that is often overlooked

his home going services. We spent days having every family member

in many conversations is discussions concerning “Life Insurance”.

call the insurance company just to find out that it was my oldest sister who was the beneficiary (why we didn’t realize it was her in the first

Despite popular belief, research shows that African American families DO buy life insurance and that many decisions regarding life

place is a WHOLE ‘nutha blog) but what a relief! At that point we felt

insurance is connected to the idea that black families don’t want

confident that burying my dad would be an expense that we could

to burden their loved ones with financial hurdles upon their death

manage. So, just recently, a few months after the birth of my grandsons,

which has been known to cause such a divide in families; arguing over expenses, where to bury a loved one, who will plan the repasts, who

I purchased life insurance for all of my grandchildren. I spoke with

will eulogize the services, can the family afford the tombstone/marker

their parents about the insurance, where I will have the policies

etc. In fact, a “2013 study conducted by LIMRA, an insurance marketing

stored, the face value of the policies, and the beneficiary. I also have

and research consortium, stated that while 85 percent of Americans

two individual policies for myself, a policy with my employer, and

realize the need to purchase life insurance, only 62 percent of all

individual policies for my children. Although no one wants to believe or

Americans actually have it. The study also said that 44 percent of U.S.

even talk about death or life insurance (when a child is born) or when

households had individual life insurance as of 2010 — a 50-year low.

a loved one begins to age or become ill, it is critical. Failing to invest

In 1960, 72 percent of Americans owned individual life insurance” (as

in life insurance can cost your surviving family members emotionally

cited in Nelson, 2015). Additionally, the same research revealed that

and financially and can ultimately damage the family unit. If you are a member of that 28% of Americans without life insurance

African American families tend to own more life insurance policies than the general population (76% African American, 62% White American,

or have not already prepaid funeral expenses (as my mom did), this is

52% Hispanic) as reported by the Life Insurance Marketing Research

the time to consider investing. Insuring Your Life is the best thing that

Association and the Non Profit Life Foundation (Dilworth, 2012).

you can do for your family. Don’t leave your family devastated and unable to properly mourn. There is nothing worse than trying to figure

However, many Americans are still without insurance, and as a FACEBOOKER, I have witnessed several families over the past year

out how you will bury someone you love because of his or her failure

reach out to their friends via GoFundMe in a desperate plea to receive

to plan.

donations to help bury their loved ones. Family members scampering

by Danielle Y. Hairston Green, Food and Nutrition FCS Program Specialist

to uncover the mystery of “where is mom’s policies” because, despite

8

I

had the pleasure of visiting Selma, Alabama and walked the Edmund Pettus Bridge. My visit was about 30 days after President Barack Obama and thousands of other Americans visited to recognize the 50 years that mark the beginning of the deadly and gruesome march from Selma to Montgomery to fight for equal voting rights.

What does Editor’s Commentary

Historical really mean?

In comparing Selma to Prairie View, I notice perplexing similarities,

The College of Agriculture and Human Sciences is moving in

like many small rural towns where other HBCU land-grants reside.

the right direction, with the creation of a course, Land Grant and

Economic stability seems to be challenging. Two historic places, 671

Food Security Systems, to educate students about our Land-Grant

miles (10 hours) apart; both engraving an important part in African

status. Once we educate our family, we then make a big deal

American freedom and equal rights and neither capitalizing or

out of the 2nd Morrill Act, annually. Each year Prairie View A&M

unifying to catapult their cities.

University should treat this just as Homecoming, inviting media,

As I reflect on the 125th Anniversary Celebration of the 1890 Land Grant (2nd Morrill Act) at Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU), I

governmental dignitaries, especially state officials. Prairie View Produces Productive People, but what happens

think of the obstacles and challenges I witnessed facing the Planning

to the productivity of a city that has the influence to take the

Committee. This got me to wondering, “What was so much more

steps toward change, but continues to remain the same. We

important than the reverence owed to such a momentous occasion

stifle ourselves with political propaganda and the thought of “how

that should have been honored with excitement and enthusiasm?”

things has always been,” that many times, we can’t see that the

The evidence of slow progression in our community speaks to the

world is evolving around us. My 2 cents.

forgotten purpose upon which we were founded; a purpose filled with the hope of giving opportunity and economic development. If only the impact that the 2nd Morrill Act played and still plays in the life of Prairie View A&M University were celebrated each year. Perhaps having a campus wide landmark celebration planned and executed would not have been so challenging. What I have learned speaking with committee members from various other 1890 Land-Grant Universities, this isn’t just a Texas thing. This is an issue nationally. The struggle to plan a grand celebration was a huge obstacle for many other universities as well.

9

F l ash b ac k

4Common Confusions by Eliza Azarm

Complement vs. Compliment A complement is a fitting addition, while a compliment is a piece of praise. Examples: A new briefcase was the perfect complement to his interview suit. She accepted the compliment gracefully.

Bad vs. Badly One often hears, “I feel badly about...,” but it isn’t correct. To say you feel badly could mean that you’re unskilled at feeling. Incorrect: I feel badly about spoiling your surprise. Correct: Anne felt bad about missing the anniversary party.

Less vs. Fewer Here’s how to remember the difference between these two similar words: If you can count it, use fewer. If you can’t count it, use less. Examples: I drank fewer glasses of water today than I did yesterday. I drank less water today than I did yesterday. (You can count glasses, but you can’t count water.)

Between vs. Among In the majority of cases, this rule will yield the correct choice: Use between when you are writing about two things; use among when you’re writing about three or more things. Correct: You can choose between two appointment times. You’ll need to choose among the office chairs offered in the catalog.

Administrative Assistant's Area 10

Maurice Perkins

reducing and finally eliminating the number of hungry and poor

The current world population of 7.2 billion is projected to increase by 1 billion over the next 12 years and reach 9.6 billion by

people. Investment in primary agriculture should become a top

2050, according to a United Nations report launched in 2013, which

priority and needs to increase by some 60 percent since agriculture

points out that growth will be mainly in developing countries, with

not only produces food but also generates income and supports rural

more than half in Africa.

livelihoods.

The report notes that India is expected to become the world’s

Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU), College of Agriculture and

largest country, passing China around 2028, when both countries

Human Sciences (CAHS) is answering the call to assist in addressing

will have populations of 1.45 billion. After that, India’s population

the challenges related to a population increase. The mission of

will continue to grow and China’s is expected to start decreasing.

natural resources and environmental sciences research is to serve

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s population is expected to surpass that of the

specific needs of the clientele in local areas and the broader needs

United States before 2050.

of the state of Texas in general through basic and applied research directed to the problems and their impacts on Texas’ natural

Due to better medicine and better agriculture, the overall

resources and environment.

human life expectancy is projected to increase in developed and

The primary research work in this area is to investigate the

developing countries in future years. Globally, life expectancy is projected to reach 76 years between the years of 2045 and

principles, processes, and applications associated with the efficient,

2050 and will increase to 82 years in 2095-2100. By the end of the

environmentally sound, and watershed-based allocation and use

century, people in developed countries could live on average 89

of natural resources such as soil and water in Texas that would

years, compared to about 81 years in developing regions.

be used to promote best agricultural and watershed management practices. Soil and Water is the fundamental agent that links all

The demand for food is expected to continue to grow as a result; both of population growth and rising incomes. Demand for cereals

components (living and non- living) in agricultural production, natural

(for food and animal feed) is projected to reach some 3.3 billion

resources, and environmental management. A substantial need exists

tons by 2050. Annual cereal production will have to grow by almost

for research on water science, water resources, and watershed

a billion tons (2.2 billion tons today), and meat production by

management. The ultimate goal of this research program is to promote sound

over 200 million tons to reach a total of 470 million tons in 2050, 72 percent of which will be consumed in developing countries, up

water management practices using advanced technology and modeling

from the 58 percent today. The production of biofuels could also

and provide a solid foundation on which to build sustainable water

increase the demand for agricultural commodities, depending on

resources management in Texas with conflicting land usages (urban,

energy prices and government policies.

agriculture, and conservation) and for different stake holders including private citizen, homeowners, growers, crop production

Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)

manager, and staff of local, state and federal agencies.

called for stronger interventions to make faster progress towards

The Effects of CAHS

Project2050 “

The world may not

be able to feed itself by 2050 if it doesn't increase food productivity.” 2014 Global Harvest Initiative report

11

Eureka

The DOMCiT Offers Technological Solutions

I

Michael T. Thomas

n the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS), the faculty and staff have been incorporating new technology to assist professors in lecturing and improve the learning experience for students. The DOMCiT (Department of Marketing, Communications and Information Technology) team has recently introduced new smart technology including airplay, iPads, wireless projectors, and monitors in some of the classrooms. Spring 2015 is the first semester in which professors have been able to take advantage of the enhanced smart classrooms. Dr. Richard McWhorter has also been taking advantage of the classroom enhancements in his graduate Human Sciences classes. Dr. McWhorter has been teaching at Prairie View for almost 18 years. He says, “The potential is great because it gives the instructor the freedom to move around the classroom and yet still control the projection.”

He feels that the new additions are a nice supplement to his lecturing. “It’s very supportive for the professor” he said. Dr. McWhorter also incorporates his iPad into other aspects of his teaching. “I use my iPad for just about everything,” he said. “I’ve got my grade book on it. I’ve got my attendance on my iPad…” he said. The DOMCiT team is continuing to develop new ways to enhance and improve the learning experience for students and the teaching experience for professors. The team expects to have all CAHS classrooms equipped with the smart technology by the time the department moves into their new academic building in Fall 2015.

s n o i t a r c e i n n r u o m c m

co

Outlook on Agriculture Taking Giant Baby Steps Maurice Perkins

‘O

utlook on Agriculture’ (OOA) got its humble beginnings from an online show started in 2010 aired at www.blogtalkradio.com/ pvcooperativeextension. Since its inception, the mission has always been to inform and engage the local community about all the opportunities and benefits offered by the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS). Hosted by LaRachelle Smith and Maurice Perkins, the radio show delves into the vast and innovative services within Prairie View A&M University’s CAHS. The show provides national trends and news within the agriculture industry and celebrates the richness of the nearly 140-year heritage and tradition of Agriculture at Prairie View, as well as the 125-years of service as an 1890 landgrant university. Since the beginning of 2014, the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences have been utilizing the university’s radio station, KPVU-91.3 FM as an avenue to highlight accomplishments within our college, with an addition in the latter part of the year to HBCU Radio. The HBCU Channel is an informational and musical offering on Sirius XM Radio Channel 142. HBCU Channel is a service provided by Howard University in Washington, D.C. The HBCU Channel is offered by Howard University to other historically black colleges and universities, including Prairie View A&M University to highlight and focus on the activities of each institution and its contributions to the African Diaspora. The OOA hosts personify excellence and experience. LaRachelle S. Smith, a

1994 graduate of Prairie View A&M University with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, began her career as a Project Engineer working in aerospace. A passion for information technology and entrepreneurship led her to Internet marketing and eventually a Blog Talk Radio show discussing various topics from community service to inspirational guest interviews. Upon earning an MBA in 2009, LaRachelle came to Prairie View A&M University in the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences and currently serves as the Director of Marketing, Communications and Information Technology. Maurice Perkins is no stranger to radio as he is also the current host of “The Greatest Show on Earth...Evaaa! with DJ Mo Phatt” being broadcasted in various cities across the US, as well as in Osaka, Japan. Maurice is a 1999 graduate of Prairie View A&M University with a B.A. in Radio & Television Communications. While serving his country in the United States Army, Mr. Perkins continued to pursue his radio career, which began at KPVU-91.3 FM in 1996. Maurice also serves as the Media and Publications Coordinator in the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences and PVAMU. Outlook on Agriculture’s new season will kick back into gear, Fall 2015 on the airwaves of KPVU-91.3 FM, as well as HBCU Radio. You can tune in to OOA at 91.3 on your FM dial in the Prairie View listening area, stream at www.pvamu.edu/kpvu (KPVU) or www.hbcuradionet.com (HBCU Radio).

www.pvamu.edu/cahs

12

COL LE GE OF AGR ICULTURE AND HUMAN SC I E NCE S

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.