The Tri-Ag Volume 1, No. 8 November 2015

Page 1

College of Agriculture and Human Sciences

November 2015 Vol.1 No.8

Prairie View, TX

Holding PVAMU on His Back Lone Cowboy

The Jeremy Brown, Jr. Story

1

COL LE GE OF AGRIC U LTURE AND HUMAN SC I E NCE S

Education Vision 1 Strategic Plan

Student Magnet The CAHS will lead and facilitate initiatives that establish PVAMU as a student magnet. The College will support and promote visible initiatives that differentiates PVAMU and capitalizes on core strengths and resources in agriculture and human sciences.

Mission Directive 1 Create new opportunities and attract students with potential for building careers in the field of agriculture and human sciences to solve the major issues that face our society.

2

Goals 1. Proactively brand and establish agriculture and human sciences as sustainable and innovative careers of choice.

Objective 1.1 The College will actively increase recruitment and enrollment of students; actively attracting top tier students.

Objective 1.2 The College will develop a recruitment system that utilizes diverse (e.g. Alumni and others) support to attract and grow a diverse population of competent Agriculture and Human Sciences students.

Objective 1.3 The College will develop a retention tracking process with measureable outcomes to help assess student’ academic success.

Objective 1.4 Facilitate an initiative to create opportunities for students and faculty presence beyond high school which includes elementary and middle school campuses.

Objective 1.5 Develop opportunities to leverage our strengths in value added resources such as goats and farmland to enhanced experiential student career preparation.

Objective 1.6 Develop a marketing and communication system that reaches students, families and communities in social media networks and promotes the CAHS experience as a magnet for students.

2.

Provide

student resources that are conducive to student success. Objective 2.1 Objective 2.2 Maintain an instructional environment that supports experiential learning.

Objective 2.3 Create experiential learning and professional development opportunities for students to engage in community and global programs.

3.

Maintain

Objective 3.1

Dean and Director of Land Grant Programs Dr. Alton B. Johnson Director of Marketing, Communications & iT LaRachelle Smith Editor and Media and Publications Coordinator Maurice Perkins Photographer/Graphic Designer Michael Thomas Contributing Photographers Maurice Perkins Paris Kincaid Contributing Writers Maurice Perkins Danielle Hairston-Green Joaquina Kankam Michael Thomas Eliza Azarm Contributing Proofreaders Kelley Redmon Wash Jones, PhD Danielle Hairston-Green Eliza Azarm Joaquina Kankam This work is supported by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, the EvansAllen 1890 Research Formula Program and the 1890 Extension Formula Program project under Section 1444 and Section 1445. The contents are solely the responsibility of the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences and do not necessarily represent the official views of the USDA or NIFA. Opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, PVAMU or the Tri-Ag editor.

Send news, story ideas and comments to:

Secure resources to support first class academic programs.

is published by Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, Department of Marketing Communications & Information Technology

250 E.M. Norris St. | P.O. Box 519, MS 2001 Prairie View, TX 77446 cahscomm@pvamu.edu This publication available electronically www.pvamu.edu/cahs/e-publications

www.pvamu.edu/cahs

an instructional environment that expands utilization of technology. Expand learning to create an environment to include state of the art technology.

Objective 3.2 Retain, train, hire and build faculty capacity to expand utilization of technology to teach and reach millennial generation students.

The College of Agriculture and Human Sciences does not discriminate against anyone regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity.

3

 

Current Locations Prospective Locations

What’s on Your Plate?

Campus leadership is an important aspect of helping freshman students as they transition into a semi-independent living situation -- moving from the comforts of home to an environment where they must manage their lives without the direct input of family and/or caretakers. Leadership is also important in modeling health behaviors for students especially on the college campus, which, at times, could perpetuate overconsumption of unhealthy foods due to accessibility of foods that are not enriched with nutritional benefits. These health behaviors could be any action taken by a person to maintain, attain or regain good health and prevent illness.

by Danielle Y. Hairston Green, MA, Program Specialist, dyhairstongreen@pvamu.edu

What choices are you making today that will influence the decisions of students on campus? The rising obesity rates and the prevalence of harmful weight management strategies by college students have piqued the curiosity of researchers. In fact, The American College Health Association, in a national college health assessment, gathered data which suggests stress as the number one health impediment to students’ academic performance, with depression and anxiety ranked number five. That same assessment revealed that over 15,000 of the 56,637 students surveyed were overweight or obese. As high school students transition into the semi-independent lifestyle of college life, they are faced with added responsibilities of making choices that could have a profound impact on their physical, mental, and nutritional health. Understanding and identifying factors that encourage or discourage certain health practices of college students could be key to students’ nutritional health behaviors.

4

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), schools can have a significant impact on the nutritional health behaviors that are changed or developed by children and young adults. Schools provide students with opportunities to explore a variety of meals. Since students spend approximately 8 hours or more a day at school, this time imbalance leads to unhealthy nutritional decisions. When making decisions throughout the day regarding your nutritional and physical health, recognize that you have an opportunity to encourage others positively in making the best choices of their lives in a health conscience perspective. You are your own testimony which becomes a testimony to all.

Derrick Banks

Nickname “Dee” Position and Location Agriculture and Natural (AGNR) County Extension Agent, Fort Bend County

CAHS Employee Since April 2015 What is your favorite part of working at CAHS? Being able to work one-on-one with producers on issues I’m concerned about as individual

Where are you from? Houston (Brookshire), Texas What is your guilty pleasure? Fishing If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? Ironman- always taking on other people’s challenges and problems for them

Who has been your biggest inspiration in your life? My mother- I can write a book on everything she has been able to overcome in her life. She has shown me that anything is possible with hard work and putting God first. List 3 top highlights of your life 1. Being named the first African-American President of my FFA Chapter 2. The first African-American to be named Grand Champion-Calf (actually won twice) 3. Graduating from college with a degree in agriculture

Favorite Song? “Troubadour” by George Strait Movie? 8 Seconds Book? Bible Comedian? Bernie Mac What is on your “Bucket List?” To travel the whole world; navigate the seven seas

John Levell Miles Nickname “Scooter” or “Driver” Position and Location AGNR County Extension Agent, Nacogdoches County

CAHS Employee Since April 2015 What is your favorite part of working at CAHS? Working for CEP allows me the opportunity to help and teach people

Where are you from? Valdosta (Clyattville), Georgia What is your guilty pleasure? Smoking Cigars (an agricultural product) If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? Captain Planethe brought pollution down to zero by utilizing all natural resources. He worked to save the Earth.

Who has been your biggest inspiration in your life? a. My Granddaddy- He was a black man who lived from 1910 to 2004 that acquired a lot of land in South Georgia and he never lost any of it. He provided a life for everyone, including the community members from his land and farm. He started a school board for black people and was the first black person to have a library in home. I got everything from him, including my passion for agriculture and education.

List 3 top highlights of your life 1. Graduating from Fort Valley State University with a degree in Agricultural Economics 2. Being in a position to help my mom in Georgia from Texas 3. Working in a field that is my passion- agriculture and helping people

Favorite Song? “I Don’t Mind Waiting” by Juanita Bynum Movie? Harlem Nights Book? Bible Comedian? Rudy Ray Moore “Dolemite,” Robin Harris and Bernie Mac What is on your “Bucket List?” To skydive out of a plane by Joaquina Kankam , jokankam@pvamu.edu

CAHS Employee Spotlights 5

F l ash b ac k

F l ash b ac k

P

by Michael Thomas

assion is like the scary-pyscho killer from outer space who seems to comeback every time you kill him. You can’t run or hide from passion; it’s always waiting to find you. As you sleep, it wakes you. You find yourself telling people about this passion, but no one believes it. Somehow this becomes a scene from a horror film circa 86. If you don’t face what you’re passionate about, it will drive you crazy. At the age of 15 the rodeo was a scary- pyscho killer for Jeremy Brown, Jr. The ever aggressive blue collar sport seemed to be on his mind virtual every second of the day. “It was my sophomore year of high school when I really took it forward and practiced hard,” Brown said. While traveling on the outskirts of Waller County to his home, I began to see how rodeo was his true passion, and was something he could not escape.

1-man A Talk with Jeremy Brown Jr. To show his competitiveness and seriousness of this passion, he dedicates close to six hours a day of practice and preparation with hopes to be among top professionals like Cory Solomon and Fred Whitfield. With any sport, it is imperative that the experienced athlete helps the rookie; as such Solomon offers pointers and the two practice together every now and then. “… Those are the two main guys because you know they are African American,” Brown said while explaining who inspires him by being in predominantly white male sport. Yet, this hasn’t stopped him from embarking on the rough and rugged (literally) journey of his passion. Growing up in Acres Home, a rural montage of North Houston, Brown was always around animals, and things of nature. “...my parents showed me as far as being a mechanic and working on cars. Farming basically which pertained to taking care of animals that I had.” said Brown. Hence, it was that same upbringing that led him to enroll at Prairie View A&M University to study animal science at the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences. Jeremy completed his associate’s degree from Wharton Junior College where he competed on the rodeo team. Upon his arrival to PVAMU, he noticed there was only a rodeo club, not an actual team. However, with support of the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences and dean, Dr. Alton B. Johnson, he decided to start a rodeo team. This task would prove to be more difficult than he could ever imagine. Because there is a lack of funding for the team, he couldn’t find any other people that would join the team. Taking the courage instilled in him as a child, he decided that he would represent PVAMU as a one man team. “It’s an eye catcher because being the only one to represent Prairie View A&M, I’m trying to make us look good. I’m trying to put us on top, so its pressure…but I think I can handle it.” Brown stated enthusiastically.

6

Why Animal Control? Knowing about different animals, getting into their natural habitat, being able to get animals and learn how to capture them without harming them is interesting.

How has it been being the only one representing PVAMU?

team Pressure is becoming the face of this young man for not just singly representing the university and College in this arena, but feeling the brunt of personally financing most of his entry fees with the assistance from the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, travel costs to fulfill his passion and pave the way for those coming after him with the same goal. Jeremey is a true example of what it means to follow your dreams and letting passion guide you. From his selfdiscipline when it comes to practicing to his selfless acts of endorsement into the rodeo team, Jeremey Brown truly exemplifies the mantra that Prairie View Produces Productive people.

Well, like I said it was an African American School and I didn’t know if Prairie View had that program or a group like that at this school. I felt that it would be cool if I stepped forward and said let me try it or let me be a representative for the school to rodeo for ya’ll.

Who are some of your influences in Rodeo? I would say Cory Solomon and Fred Whitfield. Those are the two main guys because they are African-American. But there are other guys like Cody O., Marty Yates are young guys I kind of watched and came up with. There are a number of them; Blare Burk, I could go on, you know it’s a long list.

How often do you practice? Pretty much every day, I try to rope practice something every day. I try to ride my horse every day. I would say five to six hours a day. I get up in the morning saddle my horses; ride my horses. Then by the afternoon I might go over to a friend’s to rope some calves or tie some depending on how the day goes.

Have you won any rodeo calf roping events? Yes sir! I have won a handful of rodeos; most of the time a lot of jackpots. I haven’t gone to a lot of professional rodeos. As far as college rodeos, I have placed once or twice. They aren’t that tough; it’s just all about having a good horse and the support. At the time, I didn’t have a really good horse or rope as far as the other guys that were winning. That was my downfall.

Do you receive the support that you need from the PVAMU College of Agriculture? I would say yes. I mean at this moment in time, we do not have a practice facility or a team. As far as a coach, I would like to have a coach standing alongside of me representing Prairie View as well. But by me being there by myself, it is a little bit more pressure because I am handling everything. As far as entering myself for the rodeo and making sure everything is ready to go for me to travel to these rodeos. So I would say that yeah I would like a little more support, because I have to pay out of pocket quite a bit, to represent the university. But that is up to me to speak up for myself and ask for that support.

What made you decide to obtain the degree that you are pursuing now? Well, my background because of what my parents showed me as far as being a mechanic and working on cars. Farming basically for me is pertaining to taking care of animals that I have. Cows, different crops and things like that, I figured an animal science degree would be beneficial.

What is the average size of a college team? Ten people is the average size. There are many teams, as there are a bunch of schools. Unfortunately Prairie View does not have a team at all.

What would it take to get more people to rodeo?

What made you interested in AG as a youth? I would say my parents teaching me and showing me different things that are Ag related such as farming and the responsibilities of taking care of animals.

What are you going to do with your degree once it’s obtained? I’m looking forward to moving and maybe working for the USDA doing something animal related. I am not opposed to working in animal control or something like that.

7

Putting the word out there. Getting kids telling them they have the opportunity. Giving Scholarships. Or giving kids the chance. I’m pretty sure there are scholarships it’s just a matter of speaking out about it and letting the dean know. I’m not on any scholarships. It is just something that I need to look into.

How do you deal with pressure? Pray, I pray about it and talk to God.

To support students like Jeremy go to page 12

All my life

I have looked up and to my mother; a strong, independent entrepreneur. But, you never really understand the battles your parents have fought until you are in the position of caregiver. To be honest, I felt a bit intrusive going through all of my family’s documents while searching for answers. Beginning around November 29, 2009, I started the painstaking journey as a private investigator. On this date, I lost my grandmother, former Prairie View A&M University English Professor, Dorothy Bowman, to the wickedness of dementia and Alzheimer’s. I didn’t know the full stint of how wicked this disease could be until years later.

Alzheimer’s Editor’s Commentary

No Longer an It is a Silent Killer! It was during the planning of my grandmother’s funeral when I noticed things about my mother’s state of mind that resembled my grandmother’s state of being. Could it be? As a son, I hoped this was not happening to my mom, but the realization soon set in that she too had been struck with the disease. The signs were gradual, but evident. What do I do, how do I feel and who do I turn to? The strong, independent woman was going to be a distant memory. How do I prepare myself and her for this unfortunate adventure? As I share a bit about my mother, Deborah Bowman Jackson, she just celebrated her 65th birthday, despite the prognosis of doctors stating she would not live to see that day. She beat that odd. I felt confident and hopeful. My mom graduated from Prairie View A&M University with a degree in Sociology and worked as a social worker for many years. However, her entrepreneurial spirit took over and she single-handedly owned and operated two successful businesses in Colorado. She has always been a busy lady, assertive and attentive about politics and dedicated to her sorority (Alpha Kappa Alpha). So if there was such a thing as, “not a typical Alzheimer’s/dementia patient”, she would be it. The more I educated myself and pondered the past 20 years or more certain things and behaviors of my mom, I can now see that the early signs were there. Unfortunately, I just didn’t know what I was seeing. I beat myself up daily. I often wonder, “What could I have done differently?” or “What if I knew the signs sooner?” By educating myself, I learned Alzheimer’s is the 6th leading cause of death in America and it CANNOT BE PREVENTED, CURED OR SLOWED. What does this mean to you? If you notice any of the warning signs in yourself or someone you know, don’t ignore them. Instead, explore treatments that may provide some relief of symptoms and

help maintain a level of independence longer. For instance, being proactive may increase your chances of participating in clinical drug trials that will help advance research. Hence, this knowledge did not prevent my self-reflection regarding my mom. She started exhibiting signs of the diseases in her 40’s. Although many believe Alzheimer’s and dementia are diseases for the elderly or senior population, I can tell you from firsthand experiences

8

F l ash b ac k Dedicated to Deborah Bowman Jackson

Age Thing such sentiment is untrue for my family and me. Like cancer, Alzheimer’s and/or dementia is nondiscriminatory and devours its prey as slowly or quickly as it sees fit. And in a blink of an eye, my mother became one of its victims and her progression of the disease has been rapid since 2009. Upon researching the disease, I have learned that it has 7 stages. It was the sixth stage in which my grandmother succumbed at the age of 89. Yet, my mother who is 65 is stage 7c and that means my mother has lost the ability to communicate and respond to the environment around her. Hence, as a son, I am preparing for the unthinkable as I am about to lose my role model, cheerleader and advocate of life. The Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) component of Prairie View A&M University’s College of Agriculture and Human Sciences facilitates workshops on several topics of mental health through their Total You Wellness Lecture Series including the most recent discussion on Alzheimer’s and Nutrition. This topic is also included in a curriculum that is currently in progress, co-authored by FCS Specialist, Danielle Y. Hairston-Green. The Total You Wellness lecture series takes place in various counties and venues including Harris County, Waller County and Washington County. The lectures are research based, interactive, informative, free and open to the public. Although there is no cure for Alzheimer’s, early diagnosis is key. It has been discovered medicinally, Lemon Balm has a calming effect: one study showed an oral dose taken daily for four months appeared to help reduce agitation and improve symptoms of mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease. Additionally, Curcumin have been linked to decrease common brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s. Consult your or your loved one’s Geriatric physician, before administering any medicinal plant doses. Although by the time this article is published, my mom, Deborah Bowman Jackson will be called home, I hope to continue to bring awareness and offer assistance to those that may not be aware. Only 45% of people with Alzheimer’s disease or their caregivers report being told of of their diagnosis. Compare this to more than 90% of people with the four most common types of cancer have been told of their diagnosis.

Learn more about Alzheimer’s at

alz.org

Explore workshops by PVAMU FCS at

pvamu.edu/cahs

or use this QR Code 

9

By Eliza Azarm Are you one that always wants to

be ‘liked’ at work? Nice guys really do finish last. University of Sheffield’s researcher Dr. Nikos Bozionelos (England) has researched personality and career success and found that workers who were the most agreeable, conscientious and sensitive to the needs of others were less likely to be promoted. Those that are self-sacrificing and compromising to make others happy, are not only receiving the low-profile tasks no one else wants, and less effective at your job, but they are allowing their pay checks to suffer.

The Effects of CAHS

Project2050 Trying to Please Everyone Here are a few things you gain when you let go of being liked in the workplace:

 Saying “no” stops being a problem. It’s a lot easier to say what you think when you aren’t worried about pleasing people. Steve Jobs believed avoiding direct communication to save someone’s feelings was actually selfish.  You build confidence. Placing your focus on results shows others that you stand for certain opinions and values. It can also give you and your co-workers more confidence in the decisions you make because you’re more self assured.  You’re more focused. Trying to please everyone can distract you from what matters. Your work can ultimately suffer because of an unrealistic need to be liked. Ultimately, focusing on your goals is better for business.  When you need to say no,

it won’t bother you. You empower yourself to express what you think without worry. It’s a lot easier to say “no,” “not now,” or “how about this idea instead” if you’re not hung up on whether or not you’ll please someone with what you think. More importantly, you won’t fall victim to doing something or agreeing to something just to keep everyone happy.

Administrative Assistant's Area

PVAMU Family and Consumer Sciences Impacts 5th Ward in Houston

By Maurice Perkins In partnership with Harris County Precinct One, Prairie View A&M University’s Family and Consumer

Sciences (FCS) Extension Agents, Ashley Moore and Marcus Glenn, engaged 4-H Health Ambassadors in public speaking and food prep/cooking classes at Finnigan Park in Houston’s Greater Fifth Ward. As a predominantly African-American community that originated in 1866, this event offered skill development and exposure to new experiences with education on healthy living that will prepare youth and adults for college, careers and life. More than one-third of Greater Fifth Ward residents are under the age of 20 and of African American decent. Nearly half of the population in this community is below the poverty level; 74% of all residents have incomes less than twice the poverty level. Due to the economical disparities within the community, many believe they are unable to eat healthy and provide proper nutrition for their families. In an effort to prepare for the anticipated despair in 2050, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU), acknowledges a vast number of communities similar to Greater Fifth Ward could benefit from its extension programs. Fortunately, Project 2050 is the University’s continued effort to educate and prepare these communities along with recognized USDA StrikeForce counties to participate in changing efforts by creating life-long advocates for a healthy lifestyle. PVAMU College of Agriculture and Human Sciences strategically targeted these communities to engage and inform of ways to enhance their overall way of living. 4-H Health Ambassadors learned public speaking skills related to nutrition topics as tools to be a representative in the community and effectively conveyed healthier dietary options. FCS Agent Ashley Moore introduced ambassadors to food preparations and cooking techniques to encourage healthy food choices, despite economic setbacks. This dynamic weekly event allowed 4-H Health Ambassadors to increase their cooking skills, practice basic safety and sanitation, learning how to adapt recipes, knife safety and special measuring techniques. The Health Ambassadors were active in community service learning projects: Houston Food Bank and the Buffalo Soldiers Museum. Finnigan Park Community Center donated all food and equipment for this initiative. To the success of county events volunteers like Ms. Edith Grant from Greater Fifth Ward made this program a huge success, Ms. Edith Gant.

To learn more about Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences efforts and contributions to global food awareness and security: Visit www.pvamu.edu/Project2050 or use QR Code 

10

11

Donating to the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences will help it’s student organizations, and is taxdeductible. Your gift will provide assistance with increasing our students’ ability to compete in collegiate competitions as well as support their community commitment. These agriculture and human sciences organizations develop soft skills that will prove valuable for their future careers. Your donations will aid in the education of deserving students who are pursing careers in the agricultural and human sciences sectors. Remember your gift is tax-deductible and no amount is too small.

Thank you for your support.

You are the CAHS of Change!

Easy donation Options Mail a check Carden-Waller Cooperative Extension Building 250 E.M. Norris Street P.O. Box 519; MS 2001 Attn: LWAB Coordinator Prairie View, TX 77446

Visit us online

www.pvamu.edu/cahs Click on ‘Opportunities’ Go to ‘Ways to Give’

Access us directly Using this QR Code

Thank you!

www.pvamu.edu/cahs

12

COL LE GE OF AGR ICULTURE AND HUM AN SC I E NCE S

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.