The Tri-Ag Volume 1, No. 5 July 2015

Page 1

Prairie View, TX

July 2015 Vol.1 No.5

Paving the since 1876 Way for Limited Resource Texans

A Legacy of Academics, Extension and Research Working Together to Serve the Community

Project2050 Finding solutions to meet the demand of a growing population

Celebrating 125 years

in Texas and around the world; 7.2 to 9 billion

of 1890 Land Grant University System Providing Access and Enhancing Opportunity PVAMU is the largest in the system.

1

The Effects of CAHS

The world may not be able to feed itself by 2050 if it doesn't increase food productivity.” 2014 Global Harvest Initiative report

Project2050 Maurice Perkins

T

he global population is expected to increase from 7.2 billion to 9.6 billion by 2050. Nearly all of this population increase will occur in developing countries. These alarming projections are being addressed at Prairie View A&M University’s College of Agriculture and Human Sciences.

Although Texas is not in the top 10 of most rural states, it is considered a “StrikeForce” state. One in six Americans lives in poverty, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and 90% of counties with the highest poverty rates are in rural America. These also are communities with high numbers of historically underserved groups, and mimic developing countries closely. USDA’s StrikeForce aims to increase investment in rural communities through intensive outreach and stronger partnerships. Prairie View A&M University’s College of Agriculture and Human Sciences purposely and strategically has targeted many of these counties in Texas with aid, data collection and research feedback. These activities are in preparation for possible future outreach initiatives to teach developing countries that encompass similar obstacles and demographics about research proven solutions on how to handle a 39% increase in population with limited resources. The College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) has had its roots firmly established at Prairie View A&M University since 1879 when the University’s academic curriculum was expanded to include agriculture and home economics. The College of Agriculture and Human Sciences is unique in that it operates in the true land-grant tradition of teaching, research and service through its academic, extension and research components. “The world may not be able to feed itself by 2050 if it doesn’t increase food productivity,” according to a 2014 Global Harvest Initiative report. The report further reveals that the demand for food, feed, fiber and fuel will likely outpace food production if the current rate of output remains the same. Experts believe that countries need to prioritize agriculture and the growing of food in more sustainable methods. They argue that if we don’t start now, we’ll have a problem sooner, even by 2030.

2

The CAHS is starting now to tackle these issues in a variety of efforts: Texas Sustainable Strawberry Production Research, funded by Wal-mart, was conducted on ways to increase the production of strawberries, a highly valued commodity, in Texas. One of the primary objectives of the project was to uncover some of the common problems a producer is likely to experience growing produce in a given region of the state.

Reproductive Physiology Research holding the key to the discovery of new methods for predicting fertility-related traits. The goal is to develop low-cost tests that will allow the screening of males for favorable fertility potential. As a result, producers benefit from increased efficiency in production of their livestock.

Water Resource Management Good irrigation management is vital for optimum crop production and minimum nutrient losses that might contaminate water resources. The aim of this research is to optimize the water and nutrient management of some vegetable crops that are grown in the southeast Texas region. Step Up to Wellness/Total You Wellness In response to the issues and Texas’ underserved families being challenged with diet related issues, the Step Up to Scale Down Program was implemented. Additionally, Total You Wellness is an initiative aimed at educating communities on healthy food choices, exercise and mental health to name a few.

The CAHS agrees with experts in finding sustainable options for crop production, as well as increasing reproductive possibilities and effectiveness of livestock reproduction; but we have added another dynamic to the equation. If we train families on making healthier food choices and to increase mobility and exercise, families will consume fewer resources.

Our research and programs are at the forefront in planning for the year 2050 population demands.

is published by Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, Department of Marketing Communications & Information Technology Dean and Director of Land Grant Programs Dr. Alton B. Johnson Director of Marketing, Development, Planning, Communications, and Information Technology LaRachelle Smith Editor and Media and Publications Coordinator Maurice Perkins Photographer/ Graphic Designer Michael Thomas Contributing Photographers Maurice Perkins Yanique Rhule Jasmine Hayes Contributing Writers Maurice Perkins LaRachelle Smith JaCorey Miller Jasmine Hayes Miranda Clark Regan Johnson Yanique Rhule Danielle Hairston-Green Contributing Researchers Ali Fares, PhD Louis Nuti, PhD Peter Ampim, PhD Shaye Lewis, PhD Aruna Weerasooriya, PhD Yoonsung Jung, PhD Adela Mora, PhD Barbara Johnson, DVM Contributing Proofreaders Wash Jones, PhD KellEy Redmon Danielle Hairston-Green Shine Communications Crystal Wiltz, PhD

Cooperative Extension Program The CAHS strategic plan is keen on the USDA Texas StrikeForce Initiative which is a program that aims to increase resources in rural communities by providing technical assistance to the 96 pre-determined counties in the State that register on the 2010 census with consistent poverty. We are committed to rearrange our current resources around these designated counties over the next five years and provide necessary support and services to the underserved communities to improve their quality of life. Currently, the Cooperative Extension Program is present in 36 counties of which 18 are a part of the StrikeForce initiative.

Send news, story ideas and comments to: 250 E.M. Norris St. P.O. Box 519, MS 2001 Prairie View, Tx 77446 cahscomm@pvamu.edu

While the CAHS provides services to all citizens of Texas as a Land Grant college, it particularly works to enhance economic opportunities for limited resource citizens in the state. Our endeavor will span over the ninety-six USDA StrikeForce counties to help enhance rural growth and opportunity.

ď Ž Current Locations ď Ž Prospective Locations

Opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, PVAMU or the Tri-Ag editor. This publication available electronically at www.pvamu.edu/cahs/e-publications

www.pvamu.edu/cahs 1

H O W D OES OU R

1890 LAND-GRANT RESEARCH H E L P E V E R Y D AY P E O P L E ?

My research and programs...

…explore the potential of ingredients

derived from medicinal plants for healthier living and introduces the medicinal plants as “new” cash crops for producers.”

Aruna Weerasooriya, PhD These statements will be on display at the 125th Convocation display in Washington, DC.

2

What’s on Your Plate? Danielle Y. Hairston-Green, MA

I have always struggled I have always struggled with consuming the right amount of water daily. However, a few years ago, a friend of mine stopped by my office and offered me a bag full of wonderful organic herbs from her garden, including mint. She bragged about how adding mint to her drinking water increased her water consumption daily …I tried it and I love it! Now I infuse my water with mints, berries, and lemons daily.

Infusion

Strawberry, Kiwi

Health Benefits of Infused Water

Health Benefits

Cardiovascular health, immune system protection, blood sugar regulation, digestion

Infusion

Cucumber, Lime Lemon According to Dr. Robert Parker, BS, DC (Parker Health Solutions), “There are three essential elements necessary for our bodies to sustain life. In order of necessity, they are air or oxygen, water, and nutrition from food. Proper hydration is critical for maintaining health on a cellular level. Every cell in the human body is reliant on water for proper function.” The USDA explains, “Whether drunk from the tap or a bottle or eaten in foods, water has important health benefits. Insufficient consumption can

Health Benefits

Water weight management, bloating relief, hydration, appetite control, digestion

lead to muscle spasm, renal dysfunction, increased risk of bladder cancer, and even death.” Drinking water infused with fruit or herbs is a smart and tasty way to hydrate and cleanse without getting overloaded with sugar and calories.

Infusion

Green Tea, Mint, Lime

There are many health benefits of infused water including appetite control, hydration, immune defense, heartburn prevention, blood sugar regulation and weight management. My absolute favorite infused water includes: Green Tea, mint and lime. This combination has helped to soothe my headaches and is an excellent breath freshener. It also benefits your digestive system, protects your immune system, and supports fat burning. In addition, lemon infused water has been known to provide great beauty benefits, supporting healthy skin texture and appearance as well as regulating our pH level, supporting good kidney health, providing a good dose of Vitamin C and supporting the fight against cancer. Below, is a chart that lists the variety of infused beverages and their health benefits.

3

Health Benefits

Fat burning, congestion relief, headache relief, breath freshener, digestion

Maurice Perkins

Land Grant Institutions Created to Serve Unique Purpose Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) have been providing higher education opportunities to African-American students since 1837 when Cheyney University of Pennsylvania opened its doors. Despite years of progress, many HBCUs have experienced struggles over the past few decades, including lack of enrollment and declining funding. These problems have resulted in several HBCUs closing their doors forever. With the struggles and closures of HBCUs, what sets a 1890 Land Grant University apart from its counterparts?

Relevance of the 2nd Morrill act Harvard, Yale and Princeton are familiar names in higher

Four years later in August of 1890, the second Morrill Act was

education, dating back to the 1500s.

signed into law authorizing additional direct appropriations

These private institutions have primarily provided higher

for the land grant colleges of agriculture that had been established under the original Morrill Act of 1862. The most

education to white Americans, and access was traditionally

significant feature of the second Morrill Act was that the 1862

afforded only to the affluent. It wasn’t until July 2, 1862 when

schools could receive the additional funds only if they admitted

President Abraham Lincoln signed the Morrill Act into law that

Blacks into their programs or if they provided separate but

the federal government and the states forged a partnership

equal agricultural higher education to Black students. Sixteen

to create what is known today as the public system of higher

southern states refused this stipulation and established

education. This law gave states public lands, provided the lands

separate land grant colleges of agriculture for Black students

be sold or used for profit and the proceeds used to establish at least one college—hence, the name, land grant colleges—that

under the 1890 Act.

would teach agriculture and the mechanical arts.

This year marks the 125th year anniversary of the 1890

Prairie View A&M University had its beginnings in the Texas

Morrill Act. Under the theme “Providing Access and Enhancing Opportunities,” 1890 institutions of higher learning celebrate

Constitution of 1876, which, in separate articles, established

the anniversary that resulted in the creation of these special

an “Agricultural and Mechanical College” and pledged that

land-grant colleges and universities. Today, the 1890 land-grant

“separate schools shall be provided for the white and colored

universities continue to take pride in education, and continue

children, and impartial provisions shall be made for both.”

to produce numerous African-American leaders who render

As a consequence of this constitutional provision, the 15th

valuable service to their communities, nation and the world.

legislature established Alta Vista Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas for Colored Youth on August 14,1876.

4

Relevance

of the 2nd Morrill act

Yanique Rhule

one of them. I began cruising through class with the hope of graduating as soon as possible. I struggled every semester to get enrolled in classes and at some point I felt lost - just another

PVAMU, Land Grant Institutions Provide Hope

number. I was not engaged and did not value my experience. Three years later, the lessons I learned about the second Morrill

The College of Agriculture and Human Sciences celebrated the

Act changed my perspective.

125th anniversary of the Land Grant System this year and I was

After the Civil War, higher education only existed for white

astonished by what I learned about the university I am attending.

Americans and freed slaves had no opportunity to earn any sort

I quickly became flustered when I realized how I took the comfort

of education or receiving training in a trade. In 1862, the U.S.

and privileges of this world for granted. I did not know the impact

Congress passed the first Morrill Act, which established land

of the program I was studying or how important it was.

grant institutions that created an opportunity to expand the

During my first year of college, I would go to class and observe

college and university system. Blacks were excluded. In 1890,

other students who were lazy and uninspired. I usually turned my

each eligible state received a total of 30,000 acres of land on

nose up at them, assuming that they did not take advantage of

which to build agricultural and mechanical colleges. School like

the opportunity that was presented to them. But I soon became

Prairie View A&M University were established and provided an opportunity for minorities to receive an education. What if the Morrill Act of 1890 was not passed? Where would I be without a father, a mother or education and no hope for the future? I often ponder on these things and I become angry at myself and other students who do not realize that we have been given a grand opportunity. I become angry that I did not fully embrace the role I was playing in history. Yes, if the Morrill Act didn’t happen, there is a chance that some other legislation down the line would still come into play. But, if it weren’t for the second Morrill Act, PVAMU and other 1890 land grant institutions would not be in existence today. The dreams of the students that walked the halls of the University before me would not be. The ideas and visions that the current students have would be lost and so would the evolution of our mind and perspective. PVAMU, like the other 19 land grant institutions has ushered proud leaders into society and I strongly believe that with more funding the school and its College of Agriculture and Human Sciences will be able to reach out and give hope to more students like me. Yanique Rhule is a student in the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences. She is majoring in both Communications and Agriculture Economics.

Relevance Regan Johnson 5

See page 9 ď ľ

6

Enthusiasm filled the campus, when Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) hosted its first ever, Agriculture and Human Sciences focused career fair.

The inaugural PVCAHS Career Fair was conducted March 11, 2015, in the John B. Coleman Library.

The

PVCAHS Career Fair is designed for

Agriculture and Human Sciences’ students and alumni interested in seeking full-time or part-time career opportunities, graduate degrees, internships and summer jobs. Participants meet face-to-face with universities, businesses and employers within the Agriculture and Human Sciences sectors.

60%

The inaugural event boasted over of the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences spring 2015 student enrollment. In addition, some alumni returned to the campus to support and see what the businesses had to offer. The CAHS hosted industry leaders such as, Ag Workers Insurance, Farm Service Agency, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service and RiceTec to name a few.

Employers, vendors and Graduate Schools are invited to participate in the upcoming PVCAHS Career Fair.

September 15, 2015 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

On the campus of Prairie View A&M University Prairie View, Texas

Businesses that provide employment and internship opportunities are encouraged to participate. For more information and registration visit:

www.pvamu.edu/CAHScareerfair

7

H O W D OES OU R

1890 LAND-GRANT RESEARCH H E L P E V E R YD AY P E O P L E ?

My research and programs...

…lead to healthier foods enriched

with omega-3 fatty acids lacking in the American diet to address maternal health and child nutrition.”

Adela Mora, PhD These statements will be on display at the 125th Convocation display in Washington, DC.

8

Relevance

of the 2nd Morrill act

Regan Johnson My Experience: From the Classroom to the Farm My experience at Prairie View A&M University has been like none other. As a student in the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, I have been afforded several opportunities to take knowledge learned in a traditional classroom setting and apply it to real world experiences. During my time here on “The Hill,” the relevance of the Second Morrill Act of 1890 has played a significant role. It not only assisted the university with funding for programs, but it paved the way for generations of students to attend, including myself. I entered the university on an 1890 scholarship, which peaked my curiosity. “What is an 1890 university?” I thought. Through research, I found that PVAMU is considered a land grant institution as a result of the passing of the Second Morrill Act of 1890. The bill targeted southern states requiring “each state to show that race was not an admissions criterion.” The institutions were given funding to establish programs teaching military tactics, as well as engineering and agriculture. Since my freshman year, I have spent time working for the college on the farm. As an agriculture major with a concentration in human nutrition and food, it was important for me to understand how daily interactions with plants, textiles and animals could directly affect my environment. This spring, I was excited to participate in all of the festivities for the 125-year celebration of service as a land-grant institution. I thought to myself, “How can I take my passion for farming and human science, and help other students understand those benefits during this designated week?” I worked with the college to organize food demonstrations and samples in the Memorial Student Center, and invited my fellow students to indulge in products made on the farm. The Second Morrill Act of 1890 is something that I will continue to educate my peers about. As students attending this university, we are a part of a rich history of service that should be discussed in every classroom. We have to be advocates of the power of land grants and tell the stories of our contributions to the greater society.

Relevance Jasmine Hayes See page 14 

9

There is no doubt that the world needs to invest in agriculture, but agriculture alone cannot solve the problem of hunger, and national food assistance programs were vital to eradicate hunger.”

You would never guess what world-renown figure speaks on Land Grant institutions!

Use the QR Code to find out

United Nations

10

Project2050

The Man Behind the Eyes Maurice Perkins

Three-feet tall plants obeying the commands of the wind, standing at attention until the summer breeze gently makes the vibrant green leaves sway as if they were marching to the same cadence. Left, right, left . . . White flowers speckle these superb wonders. At their feet, vegetation mimic an alien spaceship, docked at a fueling station, ivory in color with green stems. Flat, smooth on the top and bottom, with strategically scalloped edges, as if they were windows for the passengers to see their destination, the White Bush Scallop Squash, affectionately is known as the Paddy Pan Squash. Harvesting these sweet nutty flavored vegetables is 74-year-old Billy James of Huntsville, Texas. Mr. James’ farm and current residence is in Richards, TX.

Billy James resembles most produce farmers his age, with a little more spunk. A flat brimmed white straw cowboy hat crowns his head to protect him from the 100-degree weather for which the State of Texas is known. His silver and gray hair resembles wool peeking under his hat. His torso is draped with a plaid button down shirt, with sleeves rolled and the top three buttons unfastened, to offer ventilation to his bare bronze chest. As sweat drips down his neck, James shares that he has been farming for only 10 years. He excitedly shared, he learned farming from his grandmother, while in Huntsville. The fullness and healthiness of his farm shows that his grandmother passed down great farming secrets. James talks with an ever so familiar country boy twang, as he engages with Agriculture and Natural Resources Program Leader, Billy Lawton (PVAMU). You can hear the wisdom and age in his vocal tone. As James rubs the salt and pepper hair on his chin, he reflects the past year. His tongue moving over his bottom teeth, behind his lip as if he was clearing tobacco, James says that after he starts breaking his ground during the winter months, just after Christmas, he grows mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens and beets; he confidently shares that “mustards” are his best seller. When it’s time to plant and harvest his squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and purple hull peas, Mr. James knows he needs more peas he says, his customers can’t get enough of his purple hulls. Very few businesses in this century can survive without advertisement, social media or marketing, but James doesn’t have this obstacle, as he states “people just know to come to my stand. They just come!” Farmer James doesn’t have to drive into town; all of his customers come to him. James is a great example of the great impact a farmer in a small town can make to ensure that food production continues to flourish. Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences supports the efforts of hard-working citizens like Billy James. One of the best ways to describe his farm is sustainable. Other than the tilled and hoed soil, you will only find produce. There is no watering done on this farm; he states that he relies on “the good Lord, HE knows what I need.”

Hunger is not just a consequence of poverty, it leads to poverty.” United Nations

www.pvamu.edu/Project2050

11

The Lindsey Weatherspoon Agriculture Breakfast is

held annually Saturday morning, the week of Prairie View A&M University’s homecoming. The ceremony

Oct. 10

2015

and breakfast takes place at the Alfred N. Poindexter building and tented field next to the building. The inception of the Alfred N. Poindexter Lifetime Professional Achievement Award and the Lindsey Weatherspoon Progressive Young Professional Award was October 11, 2014. Prairie View A&M University’s College of Agriculture and Human Sciences created the annual recognition to not only honor the namesake, but to acknowledge our alumni who exude what Dr. Alfred N. Poindexter and Mr. Lindsey Weatherspoon instilled in the college, agriculture as well the students they influenced and led. Nominations are being received for the 2015 Alfred N. Poindexter Lifetime Professional Achievement Award and the 2015 Lindsey Weatherspoon Progressive Young Professional Award.

The following criteria will be considered in selecting award recipients:

Submit Your Award Nominations Today! Submission deadline: August 15, 2015 When submitting nominations, write in 200 words or less the accomplishments of the nominee, including a biography and any other documentation to verify credentials. Ensure to note the criteria when composing submissions.

Upload www.pvamu.edu/CAHSagBreakfast Email cahsinfo@pvamu.edu Mail PO Box 519; MS 2001

Prairie View, TX 77446

Alfred N. Poindexter Lifetime Professional Achievement Award ● Graduate of the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences ● Completed at least ten years of professional work experience ● Involvement in community service/professional organizations ● Participation in philanthropic activities ● Engagement in mentorship and professional development of others ● Fulfillment of leadership roles

Lindsey Weatherspoon Progressive Young Professional Award ● Graduate of the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences ● Completed less than 10 years of professional work experience ● Involvement in community service/professional organizations ● Participation in philanthropic activities ● Engagement in mentorship and professional development of others ● Engagement in progressive, professional activities or roles

12

H O W D OES OU R

My research and programs...

…ensure the public that animal products are safe for human consumption to protect the health and welfare of animals and people.”

Barbara Johnson, DVM These statements will be on display at the 125th Convocation display in Washington, DC.

13

Relevance

of the 2nd Morrill act

Jasmine Hayes Connecting the Dots: How the 1890 Grant is Important to the University and Society As a transfer student attending Prairie View A&M University, I have noticed that the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences has low student enrollment. In my opinion, this issue goes in hand with the United States Department of Agriculture’s number of vacant positions. The same way students are unaware of the career possibilities that result from an agriculture degree, the

1890 institution. This may lead more students to study agriculture sciences, become involved in the production of food, and possibly better the economy of America. There is a wide umbrella that will bring many opportunities to students who study agriculture or human sciences that extend past the traditional role of farming. Just as the field is diverse, employment opportunities are just as diverse. I am excited about what a small change in thinking can do for an industry with such great impact. Jasmine Hayes in a student in the College of Agriculture. She is set to graduate in 2016 and is reviewing employment opportunities with the USDA.

general population is unaware of the importance of the USDA and its impact. It starts with education. Here on my campus, I have noticed a lack of communication about the University’s land grant status and this year’s 125-year anniversary. As the College celebrated the milestone with activities and events, they were hardly successful. Not for a lack of trying, but because the majority of the university population - students, faculty, staff and the local community - were unaware of these functions and how the 1862 and 1890 Morrill Land Grant Acts support the endowment for institutions of agricultural and mechanical arts. More efforts have to be made to ensure that the public is highly informed and aware. This awareness should go beyond the celebrations and should focus on the purpose and history of the land grant status. It has to educate on the original purpose of the institution, which provided for an education in the fields of agriculture, home economics, the mechanic arts and other useful professions. As one of these special institutions, the entire campus community should work hand in hand to ensure this goal is accomplished. It is solely not the responsibility of the College of Agriculture. With these standards applied, I am confident that we will educate not only students attending universities like Prairie View, but we will also provide better information for people around the world who lack the knowledge about the importance of agriculture and the value of an

Relevance JaCorey Miller See page 18 

14

Prairie View A&M University’s Agriculture Program Prairie View A&M University’s agricultural program prepares students to enter careers in the human sciences, animal, crop and the environmental sciences, and agricultural and resource economics. The University has a deep sense of responsibility and is committed to use its talents and resources to apply knowledge that will help advance the state of Texas in the global economy. The faculty members are finding new and creative ways to develop educated, productive citizens. Researchers are actively engaged in relevant research that includes but not limited to: increasing the shelf life of dairy products, protecting fruits against sun rays, advancing knowledge in the use of medicinal plants to improve health, removing allergens from peanuts, securing water resources, and developing strategies to enhance watershed functions in a sustainable way. Funds allocated to PVAMU have resulted in nine patents being granted over the past 17 years to agricultural researchers in the food and plant sciences.

Impact

Government Funding at Work in Texas Impact From 2004 to date, the Community Economic Development Program (CED) in Extension has reached 25,000 rural residents concerning small business opportunities, where 800 new jobs were created and over $30 million in revenue infused into the Texas economy. Last year, the CED worked with thirty-eight Texas families to apply for USDA home ownership or rehabilitation funding and $2.5 million in new home loans, mortgage re-financing, and rehabilitation loan requests were approved. With the federal financial support given, the PVAMU 4-H Youth Development Program since 2012 has reached more than 181,000 youth through educational programs and activities focused on increasing Science, Technology, Engineering, Agriculture, and Mathematics (STEAM) awareness, civic participation, and healthy living habits. The PVAMU Family and Consumer Sciences Program along with the 4-H Program have created a core of 622 youth ambassadors who helped reach more than 35,000 other youth and family members. Of the 35,000 participants, 77% (29,950) shared in their evaluation that there were improvements in their nutritional health decisions. Last year (2014) the Agriculture and Natural Resources Program conducted workshops and assisted 54 small and limited-resource Texas farmers and ranchers to submit applications for loans totaling up to $7.8 million and to date $4.9 million have been approved.

15

Support from the United States Federal Government Prairie View A&M University has and continues to enjoy a strong partnership with the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA). Because of the large population of Texas and also having the largest number of farms, Prairie View receives the largest portion of the funds from the three sections of National Agricultural Research, Extension, and Teaching Policy Act (NARETPA) for its 1890 programs. In total, PVAMU receives about $11 million annually from USDA, the highest amount of any 1890 Institution. Over the past 10 years, Prairie View received $42.2 million for agricultural research, $34.5 million for agricultural extension and $14.1 million to construct new facilities or renovate existing ones in the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences. The extension and research funds appropriated have been used to hire personnel and conduct programs that help Texans and improve lives.

Future Possibilities Prairie View A&M University is committed, as with all of the 1890 Land Grant Universities, to enhancing economic opportunity, foster academic excellence, and improving the health and wellbeing of limited-resource and under-represented citizens in our respective states. Our ability to do the aforementioned is predicated on the continuous and even additional financial support from the federal level. With that financial support we will work tirelessly to provide access and opportunity to students matriculating thus providing world-renowned instructions and first class facilities to ensure their educational preparation. Moreover we will be able to expand our reach global with projects like the goat and sheep research initiative started in Ethiopia.

Over 50,000

people’s eyes were opened to the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) so far this year. Let’s reflect on the impact the CAHS has made:

The Return of Tri-Ag 

We began with the resurrection of the Tri-Ag Newsletter. With over 1600 copies circulated throughout the state of Texas, the resurgence of this publication grew from a mere four pages in January 2015 to a 16-page special edition newsletter in April for the 125th Anniversary of the 1890 Land Grant Program. Each month, the Tri-Ag attempts to share updates of what the college is doing and inform readers on best practices in agriculture and human sciences.

Semester in With 5 months left in 2015, the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences is sure to reach

DOMCiT hosted PVCAHS Career Fair 

History was made on the campus of Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU), when the The Department of Marketing, Communications and Information Technology (DOMCiT) hosted its bi-annual PVCAHS Career Fair on March 11, 2015. Over 50 positions were presented exclusively for applicants in the agriculture and human sciences career fields.

DOMCiT hosted Spring Student Forum 

The Department of Marketing, Communications and Information Technology (DOMCiT) made a promise to the CAHS student body in the fall of 2014. They were challenged to provide an opportunity for the student body to ask tough questions directly to the college’s administration. The stage was set on February 19, 2015, where DOMCiT hosted the Student Forum with a panel of CAHS Administrators including the Dean, Associate Directors and Administrative Support Directors. The students were geared up and ready to launch their questions and each was addressed. Dr. Johnson sent out a challenge of his own, encouraging the students to rally the classmates to be more involved in their future.

16

FFA Invitational Career Development Event 

Over 800 high school students and agriculture teachers visited the campus of Prairie View A&M University as the CAHS hosted its 2nd Annual FFA Invitational Career Development Event (CDE) February 26, 2015. Students from high schools across Texas competed in 10 events that cover job skills in areas such as communications, land evaluation, wildlife, business management, and floriculture. Some events allow students to compete as individuals, while others allow them to compete in teams. [Editor's note: The official name of the organization Is FFA. It no longer is called Future Farmers of America. All references to this organization should say FFA, and not Future Farmers of America.]

Review well

Frequent www.pvamu.edu/cahs for events, programs and updates.

over 100,000 people before the year’s end.

PVAMU CAHS Represents at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo 

The CAHS made its presence felt at the 2015 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR). Approximately 2.4 million visitors walked through the gates of NRG Park to relish in the world of agriculture. Whether to partake in food or learn about livestock, America converged to be involved. On March 5, 2015, the CAHS Livestock Club competed in the Dairy Goat Show, winning a total of 19 awards, including Grand Champion and Reserve Champion. Additionally, faculty, staff and students from across the college spent 20 days sharing the CAHS story and recruiting future students to the college.

125 years of Providing Service: 1890 Land-Grant 

The month of April included another campus-wide historic event; PVAMU celebrated the 125th Anniversary of the 2nd Morrill Act, which established the university as an 1890 Land-Grant institution. During the week of April 20 – 25, 2015, the celebration expanded nationwide with a wellness walk, including all of the 1890’s as well as a few 1862 Land-Grant universities, like Texas A&M University. The university hosted United States government executives from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Dr. Chavonda Jacobs-Young, Karis T. Gutter and Dr. Joe Leonard, Jr. expressed their pleasure in choosing Prairie View A&M University as the 1890 Land Grant with which to celebrate. The CAHS was the focal point in the student center all week, displaying history and products produced on the university’s farm, as well as a nutrition booth setup. The Marching Storm to kick-off the festivities. The celebration closed the week with the annual Agriculture Field Day and Western Soiree on the university’s farm.

17

Relevance

of the 2nd Morrill act

JaCorey Miller

entire institution. In 1862, the United States Congress passed the first Morrill Act, which provided for the establishment of a Land Grant institution in each state to educate citizens in

My Very Own Epiphany

the fields of agriculture, home economics, mechanic arts and other professions deemed useful at the time. In the South,

While Prairie View A&M University was in the midst of

blacks were not permitted to attend these institutions. A second

celebrating the 125th anniversary of the 1890 Land Grant

Morrill Act was passed in 1890 specifically to support the land

System, I had an epiphany. I realized just how important

grant institutions for blacks. The resulted in the creation of

the observance is to the University, not just the College of

Historically Black Colleges and Universities throughout the

Agriculture and Human Sciences.

south, now referred to as the “1890 institutions.”

As I learned about the Land Grant System and for the first

As an 1890 institution, PVAMU is a part of network that

time I understood that the Morrill Act of 1862 created the school

provides relevant academic programs that prepare students

that we have come to love, not just one portion of it. The

for a competitive future. PVAMU, and other HBCUs like it,

Morrills Act’s impact is felt outside the confines of the CAHS.

are crucial to history. Some of the leading innovators of our

Unfortunately, not all students have come to appreciate the

time were educated at HBCUs, creating a

history of the University in the same way. During the week

powerful legacy at their respective

of the celebration, I asked several students how they

schools. With such a strong

felt about the anniversary. The response I generally

tradition, it is important for

received stunned me. Hardly any of them knew

all students to understand

anything about the Land Grant system.

how our school’s existence

There is a misconception that the Land Grant

is rooted in the land grant

system is only related to agriculture. But the

system.

Morrill Act of 1862 is the basis of history for the

Relevance Miranda Clark See page 21 

18

H O W DO E S O UR

1890 LAND-GRANT RESEARCH H E L P E V E R Y D A Y P EOPLE?

My research and programs...

…mitigate drought and drought effects on natural resources, agriculture

production and water resources.”

Ali Fares, PhD These statements will be on display at the 125th Convocation display in Washington, DC.

19

Percy Sutton Freedom Rider, civil rights activist and prominent African-American lawyer best known for representing Malcolm X.

Notable

alumni

David L. Brewer ‘70 Retired three-star Vice Admiral of the United States Navy and former superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

Frederick Douglass Patterson Responsible for the founding of the only black School of Veterinary Medicine in the United states at Tuskegee Institute and the United Negro College Fund. Attended Prairie View A&M University around 1920.

Nathelyne Archie Kennedy ‘59 First female to receive an engineering degree from PVAMU; B.S. Architectural Engineering owns civil and structural engineering firm in Houston.

Rep. Senfronia Thompson ‘64 Dean of women legislators, Rep. Thompson has served longer in the Legislature than any other woman or AfricanAmerican in Texas history. A Houston attorney, Ms. Thompson is currently serving her 20th term in the Texas House of Representatives.

Our tradition. Your opportunity. Ken Houston Professional Football player Houston Oilers and Washington Redskins also inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Entered the NFL Draft in 1967.

Tracy Andrus ’05 is the first African American in the US to earn a Ph.D. in Juvenile Justice. Currently he is a notable criminologist who is recognized for the development of two crime theories —”Enviroecogenetics” and “Broke Theory.”

Loni Love ‘91

Dr. Maya Rockeymoore ‘93 currently the President and CEO of Global Poliy Solutions. Accolades include serving as the Vice President of Research and Programs at the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Senior Resident Scholar at the National Urban League, Chief Of Staff to Congressman Charles Rangel, Professional Staff on the House Ways and Means Committee, and as a CBCF Legislative Fellow in the office of former Congressman Melvin Watt among other positions

Engineer, stand-up comedian, actress, radio and TV personality.

Johnie L. Jones ’09

20

Advisor on Public- Private Partnerships for the US Department of Agriculture.

Relevance

of the 2nd Morrill act

Miranda Clark The Relevance of the Second Morrill Act Recently, Prairie View A&M University celebrated its 125th anniversary as an 1890 Land Grant institution. The College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) planned a week full of adventure and fun events for the student body to participate in and enjoy. When students were asked, “Do you know what this week is?” Many responded “No, it’s another week.” Numerous students assumed it was “Agriculture Week.” As I observed each student’s response and witnessed their disinterest in the events that took place around the campus, I started to realize how the majority of Prairie View students lack the knowledge and history of their University.

During the week of the event, only Agriculture classes were cancelled. I believe all classes should have been cancelled for at least the first day of this important school event. How can we educate our students about campus events when we shield them from it? The school focused most of its attention on the College of Agriculture which shouldn’t have been the case. The Second Morrill Act funded HBCUs like PVAMU and mandated the creation of agriculture-related classes. However, the agriculture program―amongst others like military tactics and mechanical arts―only served as the original curricula implemented because of this act, not the complete listing of programs now offered. When I first started my research on this topic, I strongly agreed that it was the students’ fault that they lacked knowledge about agriculture related events and history. But after broader exposure to the history of the Second Morrill Act, I now see that it’s completely in the hands of University officials. Events such as Homecoming, Hump Day and celebrity guest speakers are proudly broadcasted around the university campus, so why is it that the school’s history must suffer? Is it because no one cares? I feel that if we have student leaders, such as “Student Ambassadors” who can help share this history with the student body, our students would be more willing to learn the importance of the Second Morrill Act and how it helped to create the 1890 Land Grant universities. From personal experience, I’ve witnessed that students are more easily persuaded by other students. If we had leaders willing to step up to the plate and make a change, 1890 universities would see a lot of improvement in student enrollment as well as school spirit. This issue is extremely important to me, and should be addressed in order for us to work as one to make a positive and effective change. If we continue to hide major issues going on within our universities, then we’ll never be able to make a difference in the next generation’s lives. As leaders, we need to ensure that all universities―funded by the Second Morrill Act―instill knowledge into their students about their university’s history and all the trials and tribulations they had to go through, in order to embrace the name of being an 1890 Land Grant University.

21

BEHIND THE MAGIC

Designing the Romeo Activity Book

M

Michael T. Thomas

The International Goat Research Center (IGRC) currently is home to over 1,000 dairy and meat goats. The Center is one of the largest and longest established goat research programs in the country, and it specializes in research in the areas of genetics, reproductive physiology, nutrition and veterinary health. At the helm of this program and concept of this adventure was “ Romeo.” Romeo’s lease was coming to an end, in the expectation of being sold. The IGRC was very fond of Romeo and didn’t want to see him go. A campaign was created to make him famous in hopes he could get an extension on his lease, hence the creation of his comic-like character. Partnered with other characters pertaining to the college, “Sarah the Strawberry” and “Courage the Cucumber,” a storyline was created that outlines some of the college’s premier programs. The activity book was produced not only to inform children about the wonders of agriculture, but also to educate them on the exciting programs the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences at Prairie View A&M University has to offer. Michael Thomas brought to life the concept that Maurice Perkins presented to “save Romeo.” Mr. Thomas hand drew the comic likeness and transposed “Romeo” to digital form and created the interactive puzzles. Since the creation of the Romeo Kids Activity Book, we have had great reviews. We anticipate what other adventures “Romeo” and his friends will share with us in issues to come.

eet “Romeo,” “Ms. Berry” and “Courage,” These characters are the additions to the College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) in the “Adventures of Romeo & Friends Activity Book.” For the first time, Prairie View A&M University CAHS has created a tool specifically geared at educating elementary school age children about the world of agriculture. The conceptualization of the activity book was the easy part, to say the least, as there are several steps in the creation and design process. Researching content, including puzzles, farm facts and other dynamics that children would enjoy took a great deal of exploration. Since “Romeo” is a goat, we needed to be sure we were knowledgeable of the goat research center, where “Romeo” was a tenant.

s n o i t a r c e i n n r u o m c m co

T

Maurice Perkins

he 100-year anniversary of the signing of the Smith-Lever Act of 1914, which officially created the national Cooperative Extension System, occurred in 2014. This celebration highlighted Extension’s past and focused on the contemporary application of Extension’s transformational educational programming into the future. Often times, as in agriculture, the work of Extension Agents goes untold. The College of Agriculture and Human Sciences (CAHS) at Prairie View A&M University view the Extension Agent as the liaison within the college’s tripartite. They are the eyes and ears that cover the state, bringing issues that arise in the counties to the CAHS researchers for resolutions. New innovative research findings are shared with the county agents for them to take back to their counties. Over 100 years later, the work of the Extension Agent goes unnoticed. Many Americans have no clue what an Extension Agent is, let alone what one does. #SpecialAgent1876 is a pilot video series created to tell the story of the Prairie View A&M University, 1890 Land Grant Extension Agent. The Department of Marketing, Communications & Information Technology follows agents in their environment, as they engage with families, youth, entrepreneurs, producers and farmers. The 15-minute videos give the viewer a “behind the scenes” perspective of what happens beyond the grocery store. #SpecialAgent1876 highlights key

areas of agriculture and human sciences, in particular Agriculture and Natural Resources, Community and Economic Development, Family and Consumer Sciences and 4-H and Youth Development Programs. The informative and entertaining #SpecialAgent1876 is slated to release in 2016. To view this series and other video projects produced by Prairie View A&M University College of Agriculture and Human Sciences, visit: www.youtube.com/pvamutriag.

#SpecialAgent1876

College of Agriculture and Human Sciences

www.pvamu.edu/cahs

22

COL LE GE OF AGR ICULTURE AND HUMAN SC I E NCE S

Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.