Nebraska native Zhane Latrice Brown explains why she chose to pursue her education in agriculture and to dream of becoming a veterinarian at Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU). Brown hails from a small town offering limited educational progress to their minority residents. For her, PVAMU was a culture shock, but she quickly learned to embrace the environment that encourages and promotes persistence and determination in spite of an obstacle.

A Regents Merit Scholar, Brown maintains a high GPA and is an early admit to Purdue University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. As Brown notes, “Being an agriculture major made me a well-rounded student. I was able to gain a knowledge base that brought everything about agriculture together and my education became larger than just being a vet.”

Something magical happens in the CAHS when intelligence, grace and being impacted align with the future goals of students. Brown interned in the Cooperative Agricultural Research Center (CARC) and credits Laura Carson, Research Scientist, and Sela Woldesenbet, Research Specialist and DVM, with lab experiences in pathogenic bacteria that will help her as a veterinarian.

Brown completed the Purdue University program Access to Animal-Related Careers (AARC) in summer 2016. In addition to Carson and Woldesenbet, she credits her grandmother, Aunt Judy, and Mama Morgan as role models who gave her the drive to meet her objectives and future goals. Not wanting to let her grandmother down, Brown lives by Maya Angelou’s adage, “Now that I know better, I do better.”

Kelley Redmon

Kelley A. Redmon
Communications Specialist
karedmon@pvamu.edu
(936) 261-5009