PVAMU is Seeking VP & Director of Athletics
Prairie View A&M University is seeking a visionary and energetic and experienced leader as the next Vice President & Director of Athletics. The Vice President & Director of Athletics reports directly to the President of the University and is a member of the President’s Cabinet. The position is responsible for providing strategic leadership, direction, and oversight for an eighteen-sport NCAA Division I FCS intercollegiate athletics program. The successful candidate will provide oversight of strategic planning, fiscal affairs, staffing, fundraising and promotions, athletics facilities, regulatory compliance with respect to intercollegiate athletics, and general operations. The position works closely with multiple internal and external constituencies to advance the University’s strategic objectives and goals. The Vice President & Director of Athletics supervises a full and part-time staff of approximately 80 people and manages an annual budget of an estimated $12 million. The successful candidate will also be expected to take the lead in representing PVAMU in its responsibilities as an NCAA Division I participant and a member of the SWAC Conference.
For more than 140 years, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses, and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of “the first class” in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research, and service. PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston.
Qualifications for The Vice President & Director of Athletics are as follows:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Ten (10) years of progressively responsible management experience.
• Must have the ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
• Must be knowledgeable of word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications.
• Master’s degree preferred
• Ten (10) or more years of successful managerial experience with evidence of increased responsibility in intercollegiate athletics.
• Working knowledge of NCAA Division I athletics programs and what is required to achieve success at that level.
• Evidence of effective leadership and the ability to manage and motivate others.
• Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to compliance with NCAA, SWAC and Title IX regulations.
• Evidence of strong communication skills and the ability to build relationships with internal and external constituents.
• Demonstrated success and mastery in managing a sizable budget.
• Evidence of successfully generating revenues for a complex organization.
• Commitment to and experience in raising private support from donors and from corporations.
• Established record of achievement in the areas of marketing and promotions.
• Successful record of long-range financial planning in a complex organization.
• Successful record of and commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion among employees and student-athletes.
To review the job announcement in its entirety and to apply online, please visit University’s Career Site at www.pvamu.edu/hr/prospective-employees/careers-at-pvamu/.