Dr. Cleveland O. Lane, Jr.

The Texas A&M University System (TAMUS) honored ten professors with the 2018 Chancellor’s Academy of Teacher Educators (CATE) award, and Dr. Cleveland O. Lane, Jr., assistant professor and director of the Anatomical Visualization and Simulation Center in Prairie View A&M University’s Department of Biology, was one of them.

“I was truly honored to receive this award and represent PVAMU,” said Lane. “PVAMU has a rich history in preparing educators across this country, and I am blessed to have the ability and opportunity to contribute to the development of present and future educators.”

The yearly award is given out to individuals within the TAMUS system who make significant contributions to the field of teacher education. It also highlights the role of the A&M System in producing K-12 teachers for the state of Texas. “Over the years, I’ve spearheaded a variety of projects to help train teachers,” said Lane. “My specialty is teaching them different ways to integrate technology into their instruction. I’ve also set up summer camps for both teachers and students covering the exploration of biology using tomorrow’s technology.”

And, I could tell from the short time I visited Lane, he has an extreme passion for technology and teaching. “I’ve been here at PVAMU for 20-plus years, serving in various capacities, from student to professor,” said Lane. “Being here has given me the opportunity to research, use technology, teach, train, and mentor — I’m doing everything that I could ever want to do…I’m doing what I love! But, the greatest part of my career is seeing students take the information and skills we have shown them and achieve the goals they set for themselves. Plus, I’ve learned so much from others, administrators, professors, staff, and mentors. They are what helped mold me into the educator I am today.”

You can read more about this year’s CATE award here.

###

-This story by Marchita Shilo originally appeared in Academic Insights.