Mission and Services
The IT Department of Academic Technology leads the acquisition, implementation, maintenance and support for tools and platforms and coordinates with other university units. This mission requires cooperation and coordination between a variety of administrative, academic and technology units. We enable the university and its varied academic communities to realize their potential in teaching, learning, and research through the innovative design and meaningful integration of technology to meet broad and specialized goals, and by providing support, consulting and services which foster innovation.
Our Services and Goals
AT actively partners with faculty, staff, and students to imagine ways to use technology to meet academic goals. We:
- consult with faculty regarding use of technologies to solve pedagogical challenges and achieve learning outcomes;
- develop applications, learning modules, videos and web sites to support curricular needs;
- provide AV support for events, “smart” classrooms, equipment loans, and other technology resources to support Academic activities;
- explore current and emerging technology tools and consider how they might be used at PAVAMU to achieve or enhance its objectives;
- provide (or source) software platforms used to support events, learning (face-to-face and blended), and faculty work;
- facilitate training sessions with students and/or faculty to increase capacities and fluency with technologies.
“WITHOUT GOALS AND PLANS TO REACH THEM, YOU ARE LIKE A SHIP THAT HAS SET SAIL WITH NO DESTINATION.” — FITZHUGH DODSON
Understanding Why Planning Is Important for Success
It goes without saying that if one fails to plan, one plans to fail. Without proper planning, we see the usual symptoms of sliding back into our normal “how we used to do things.”
Why do we need to plan?
- Proper planning encourages us to achieve the goal
- Proper planning helps us break our goal into bite-size pieces and small goals for greater success
- Proper planning gives us a clear perspective on what needs to be done, what goals need to achieve, and what amount of time is to be spent on completing those goals
“PLANNING IS BRINGING THE FUTURE INTO PRESENT SO THAT YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT NOW.” — ALAN LAKEIN
Benefits of Planning?
- Proper planning helps to prepare a guideline, relatively a timeline on how to maintain and reach the established goals
- Proper planning helps to reduce the amount of stress and frustration that can be avoided by planning
- Proper planning helps those individuals managing our budgets to have time to properly ensure the funds are available for our complete project and allow for cost savings
“MAKE TIME FOR PLANNING; WARS ARE WON IN THE GENERAL’S TENT.” — STEPHEN R. COVEY
The Outcome of Planning?
- Proper planning helps the planner to stay focused on the original plan without any distractions (adjustments are a part of managing the plan)
- Proper planning puts pen into paper the skeletal schedule and goals
- Proper planning promotes efficiency, productivity, and a target for the end goal to be met
“PLAN YOUR WORK FOR TODAY AND EVERY DAY, THEN WORK YOUR PLAN.” — MARGARET THATCHER