College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
PVAMU Credit By Exam - CLEP Policy
The College Board College Level Examination Program (CLEP) enables students the opportunity to take exams in order to obtain college level credit. CLEP offers more than 33 exams in multiple subject areas. The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends that test takers receive a passing score of 50 in order to be awarded credit, however qualifying scores vary by department and college.
Prairie View A&M University accepts scores from certain CLEP tests for credit in selected courses. Interested students should contact PVAMU Testing Services for information on registration and test sites. All CLEP exams may be taken at PVAMU but only CLEP exams listed on the "PVAMU CLEP Examination Course Equivalency Table" will be accepted for credit at PVAMU. Students should contact an academic adviser to determine which courses apply to their perspective degree program.
Before the Exam
- Register and pay exam fee for CLEP exam via clep.collegeboard.org
- $87 - Exam fee paid online with credit card while registering for CLEP Exam
- Click the "CLEP Appointment Form" button to schedule your CLEP appointment with PVAMU Testing Services and pay the administration fee
- $25 - Administration fee for PVAMU Students
- $40 - Administration fee for Non PVAMU Students
- You will receive a CLEP Appointment Approval email confirming your appointment date and time. If you do not receive this email within 48 hours after completing the CLEP Appointment Form, please contact PVAMU Testing Services at (936) 261-3627
- ON TEST DAY: Takers should report to the Testing Lab at least 15 minutes PRIOR to their scheduled testing time
After The Exam
If you pass the CLEP exam, you will need to wait until CLEP sends the official transcript to the Testing Center. This could take from 2 to 6 weeks. Once the transcript is received, a letter will be sent to the registrar’s office informing them to grant the student credit for the CLEP exam that was taken.
CLEP Retake Policy
- 90 day waiting period from the date of an exam to retake a CLEP exam.
- Test taker is responsible for knowing and adhering to retake policy.
- Registration, administration, and test fee applies.
Additional Score Transcripts
If you did not indicate a score recipient institution at the time of your exam, and you want to request your CLEP scores, you can do so by ordering a CLEP Transcript. This transcript is a cumulative score report of all the CLEP exams you’ve taken, and the scores you earned in the last 20 years. The institutional transcripts must be official transcripts in a sealed envelope, and show credit was received for the CLEP exam(s).