Equal Employment Opportunity
Hiring Process Guidelines/Checklist
FOR FACULTY POSITIONS
Purpose: To assist hiring committees and panels with preparation for and documentation of all new hire searches.
Objective: To carefully captured on paper to ensure proof of the University’s compliance with TAMU/EEO mandates.
Pre-requisite (for Search Committee/Hiring Panel participation): Each person that is a member of a search or hiring committee/panel must be in compliance with both of the following TAMUS requirement of remaining current with online EEO training modules. See https://sso.tamus.edu to select the following training modules:
- “Effective Hiring Practices", which must be taken immediately or within 12 months before search committee participation; and,
“Creating a Discrimination Free Workplace”, which must be repeated once every two (2) years following a PVAMU employee’s initial hire date.
(All Documentation referenced herein shall be sent to the EEO for Compliance Review)
This process ensures compliance with current university and system hiring process requirements and addresses components of an equitable hiring process:
Step 1: Identification of Search Committee/Hiring Panel Members:
Each member must be identified on the Search Committee Identification Form.
Step 2: Ensuring a Diverse Pool of Applicants (for Faculty Positions):
Search Committees shall solicit and place a copy of applications and CVs, from various sources such as: Websites, Institutions and Direct Announcements, in the Hiring Process File.
The search committee must also solicit the curriculum vitae (CV’s) of nominated persons that have not formally applied via the posting process. For applicants that complete online applications, the system automatically acknowledges receipt of the same.
Step 3: Documenting the Evaluations of All Candidates’ Credentials:
Search Committees must document explicitly their reasons as to why an applicant was deemed unsuitable, based upon the specific criteria relative to the job description, experience and basic job functions, which are contained in posted job announcements/descriptions. Any reasons for elimination must be reduced to written form on the Pre Evaluation Sample and the Sample Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrix form. (Includes sample criteria, click in each box to replace with your job related criteria for evaluation)
Search Committee Members must record on Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrix form:
- The individual rating areas and scores relative to job-specific criteria (for each applicant);
- The total overall scores (for each applicant); and,
- The reasons for elimination of applicant(s).
Before Posting - Submit these Items for EEO Officer’s Compliance Review & Approval
1. Proposed Job Description.
2. Proposed Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrix using standard job-specific criteria.
3. Proposed Standard Interview Question Matrix.
After obtaining the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer’s Approval:
4. Post job description with Human Resources (HR) and other recruitment sources.
Step 4: Creating A Complete Hiring Package:
After Position Closes and HR Releases Qualified Applicants Pool:
5. Human Resources will grant S/C’s access to a List of Applicants; please use the “all” applicants selection located in the reports section of PV-PAWS; then, print and attach it to your hiring history package.
6. Search committee members must jointly determine which applicant(s) they wish to interview using job-related criterion from the Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrices.7. The search committee must then complete a “Request to Interview Form”; and,
8. Submit First Stage Hiring Process History Package for compliance review by the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity.
The package shall include:
- List of Applicants (printed from PV-PAW reports).
(The list should reflect all not merely active & inactive; rather a list of all available applicants which will include those deeded by Human Resources as not meeting min. requirements for the position. This information must be part of the EEO Officer’s files for audit purposes);
- Job Description;
- Request to Interview Form;
- Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrix;
- Standard Evaluation Matrix;
- Notes of eliminations & reasons for each applicant not offered an interview;
- Written interview questions using Standard Interview Questions Matrix form.
9. Make corrections to any documents and/or interview questions resulting from the EEO Officer’s review; and resubmit them to the same for approval.
10. Conduct scheduled Interviews.
11. Document all of the interviewees’ answers to interview questions using Standard Interview Questions Matrix fashioned by the committee and derived from job requirement information contained within the posted job announcement.
12. After the interview(s), each committee member is required to reduce to writing their evaluation(s) of all interviewees using the Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrix.
13. Submit completed, Second-Stage (forms/documents) for EEO review & retention.
- EEO Officer or the EEO designee shall inform HR of incomplete files.
- Hiring proposals are not approved without EEO verification confirming receipt of all documents *(see Hiring Process Check List).
Step 5: After EEO Officer Approves Hiring File.
14. Search Committees may submit hiring proposals.
Records Retention for System Audit Purpose: Hiring Process Records received by the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity are closed when complete and maintained for a period of two (2) years in accordance with Prairie View A&M University’s Retention Schedule.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.