Equal Employment Opportunity Hiring Process
FOR ADMINISTRATIVE and / or STAFF POSITIONS
Purpose: To help Search Committees-(S/C) and/or Hiring Panels prepare for, conduct and document new hire searches.
Objective: Documentation of the search process is an important search committee/hiring panel responsibility that must be carefully captured on paper to ensure the University’s proof of compliance with TAMU/EEO mandates.
Pre-requisite (for Search Committee/Hiring Panel participation): Each person that is a member of a search or hiring committee/panel must be in compliance with both of the following TAMUS requirement of remaining current with online EEO training modules. See https://sso.tamus.edu to select the following training modules:
“Effective Hiring Practices”, which must be taken immediately or within 12 months before search committee participation; and,
“Creating a Discrimination Free Workplace”, which must be repeated once every two (2) years following a PVAMU employee’s initial hire date.
The Steps –
(All Documentation Referenced herein Shall Be Sent to the EEO Officer for Compliance Review)
This process ensures compliance with current university and system hiring process requirements and addresses components of an equitable hiring process:
Step 1: Identification of Search Committee/Hiring Panel Members:
Each member must be identified on the Search Committee Identification Form.
Step 2: Documentation of Evaluations of All Applications:
Search Committees must document explicitly their reasons as to why an applicant was deemed unsuitable, based upon the specific criteria relative to the job description, experience and basic job functions, which are contained in posted job announcements/descriptions. Any reasons for elimination must be reduced to written form on the Sample Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrix form. (Includes sample criteria, click in each box to replace with your job related criteria for evaluation).
Search Committee Members must show on Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrix form:
- The names of all Applicants received from the the pool individuals released by HR.
- The individual rating areas and scores concerning job-specific criteria for each applicant;
- The total overall scores for each applicant; and,
- The reasons for elimination of an applicant(s).
Step 3: Creating A Complete Hiring History Package:
Hiring Process documents must be submitted in the following order of events:
Before Posting - Submit the following Items to the Office of Equal Opportunity for Compliance Review & Approval of the search documentation:
1. Proposed Job Description.
3. Post job description with Human Resources (HR) and other recruitment sources.
After the Position Closes and HR Releases the Qualified Applicants Pool:
4. Human Resources will grant S/C’s access to a List of Applicants; To print this list, please click both boxes to select “all” Applicants in the PV-PAWS list of Applicants. The report must be included in the Search Committee’s Hiring Package.
5. Search committee members must jointly determine which applicant(s) they wish to interview.
6. The search committee must then identify the applicants to interview on a “Request to Interview Form”; and,
7. Submit the First Phase Hiring Package to the Office of Equal Opportunity for compliance review & approval.
The package must include:
- The PV PAWS List of Applicants (printed from PV-PAW reports).
(The list should reflect all Applicants, not only those listed as active but also Applicants listed as inactive, (these include the individuals deeded by HR as not meeting minimum requirements for the posted position). Please include this information as it must become part of the EEO Officer’s search history files for auditing purposes);
- Job Description;
- Request to Interview Form;
- Notes of eliminations & reasons for each applicant not offered an interview;
- Written interview questions using Standard Interview Question Matrix.
- Make corrections to any documents and/or interview questions resulting from the EEO Officer’s review; and resubmit them to the same for approval.
Upon EEO’s Approval:
9. Conduct scheduled Interviews.
10. Document all of each interviewee’s answers to interview questions using Standard Interview Questions Matrix fashioned by the committee and derived from job requirement information contained within the posted job announcement.
11. After the interview(s), each Search Committee member must reduce to writing their evaluation(s) of all interviewees using the Standard Hiring Evaluation Matrix.
12. Submit completed Second-Stage forms/documents for EEO review and retention.
- The EEO Officer or their designee will inform Human Resources of hiring file completion status.
- Hiring proposals will not be approved absent the EEO Officer’s verification confirming the receipt of all documents. (*see Hiring Process Check List).
Step 4: After EEO Approves A Hiring File:
13. The Search Committees may submit hiring proposals to Human Resources.
Records Retention for System Audit Purpose: Hiring Process Records received by the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity are closed when complete and maintained for a period of two (2) years in accordance with Prairie View A&M University’s Retention Schedule.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.