Student Organization Policy: Event Planning
The most crucial element of any program is the planning that precedes the actual event. Planning more often than not is the element that determines the success or failure of a given event. Some general guidelines that might prove helpful are:
- Begin planning well in advance to assure a quality program.
- Be aware of the audience to which the program will appeal. Schedule it at a time and place that is most convenient to that group.
- Concentrate most of the advertising budget on that target group.
- Do not skimp on advertising. (Three signs on campus do not reach many people.)
- Avoid conflicts with other events that appeal to the same audience.
- Co-sponsorship with other student organizations and/or departments reduces financial risk and may lead to better attendance.
- Evaluate each program and learn from your successes and failures.
Events held on the campus of Prairie View A&M University should be registered for the following reasons:
- Registration IS REQUIRED to hold any event. The forms must be completed with the appropriate signatures no less than five business days prior to the event.
- The organizational event, when properly registered, gains publicity through the media resources available in the Office of Student Activities & Leadership.
- The organization will receive valuable consultation which allows you greater ease in cutting through and/or eliminating the red tape which sometimes surrounds the planning of an event. In addition, the event should be registered when:
- money is exchanged
- the activity is open to the public
- PVAMU’s buildings/grounds are used
- solicitation or parade permits are necessary
- funds are solicited
- event is co-sponsored with a commercial enterprise
NO student organization shall be allowed to schedule EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES during DEAD AND FINALS WEEK. Major events which are planned to attract a wide segment of the campus will interfere with the final exam preparation period and are discouraged.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.