Frequently Asked Questions

  •  If a student does not present you an official accommodations letter from the Office of Disability Services:  If a student request accommodation without the letter from ODS, please refer the student to the Office of Disability Services.
  • If a student who is receiving accommodations and is not doing well in class:  Treat the student as you would any other student. The semester grade should be based on the grading rule statement included in the course syllabus distributed at the first class meeting. The syllabus should also contain other information pertinent to the final grade such as weights for tests, homework, laboratory assignments, projects, class attendance and participation and any other graded activity.
  • If a student thinks they have a disability:  Please refer the student to the ODS.  Diagnostic testing services are available to all registered students with an instructor referral.
  • If you have a question about the appropriateness of an accommodation:  Please direct all questions regarding the appropriateness of an accommodation to the Director of Disability Services.
  • If a student tells you they have a disability but have no letter of accommodation:  Ask to see an accommodations letter.  This letter will describe functional limitations and suggested accommodations for the individual based on documentation.
  • If a student wants to file a grievance:  Refer student to the PVAMU homepage (ADA Resources) or Disability Services website for ADA policies and procedures.
  • If someone thinks he or she has been discriminated against because of a disability you may:  Try to resolve the complaint at the lowest level by talking with the people involved.  You may contact the Director of Disability Services.  A grievance can be filed with the PVAMU ADA procedures.  An individual may also file his or her complaint directly with the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights.

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.