GI Bill Benefits

The Veteran Services Office in May Hall, room 118 is responsible for processing and certifying GI Bill educational benefits for active duty, guard, reserve, veterans and eligible dependents under Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606 and 1607, Title 38, U.S. Code. You must submit a request for certification of educational benefits each semester/term by providing a copy of your detailed registration schedule.

NOTE: GI Bill recipients will only be certified for courses that fit the requirements of the PVAMU degree plan for their major or minor field of study. Students must obtain a copy of this degree plan from their college/department and refer to it prior to each registration. VA regulations prohibit payment for repeated courses (“A” through “D” grades) unless the school will not allow the student to continue in their field of study due to the grade received. VA will pay for the course, but not for any fees associated with retaking of the class. VA will not pay for any courses and/or labs that are not required for your approved degree program.

Additionally, you must report any reduction in training time or changes in your schedule to the PVAMU Certifying Official as soon as the changes occur to prevent over payment. Failure to report withdrawals could result in the loss of benefits dating back to the first day of the semester and subsequent liability for any resulting over payment. You must report any changes in your enrollment or approved degree/program as they occur.

The most commons changes include:

Change in credit hours: This occurs when you drop a class (es) or one of your classes has been cancelled due to lack of enrollment in the specific class. You should notify the PVAMU Certifying Official immediately.

Withdrawal from school: Should it be necessary for you to withdraw from ALL classes, you should contact the PVAMU Certifying Official immediately. If you are called to active duty, there are options; refer to the university catalog or contact the PVAMU Certifying Official for more details.

Change in major: Should you decide to change your major (program) you MUST complete school forms. After you have changed your major with your college advisor, bring a copy to the PVAMU Certifying Official.

Change in place of training: Should you change your place of training, it is necessary to complete a VA Form 22-1995 (Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606 or 1607) or a VA Form 22-5495 (Chapter 35 only).

Required Documents: To start your GI Bill Benefits, bring the following documents to the Veteran Services Office in May Hall, Room 118:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (VA Award Letter)
  • Official Degree Plan from your Academic Advisor
  • Student Detail Schedule showing current registration (Panther Tracks)
  • Veteran Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form filled out and signed by student
  • Notice of Understanding signed by student
  • Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) – Reserve/National Guard ONLY
  • Report All Scholarships ( If you use Post 9/11, Chapter 33)

Note: If you do not submit the required documents when requested, your GI Bill Benefits may be delayed or suspended until these documents are provided. Your GI Bill is subject to payment by the VA based on your qualifications for benefits. The Veteran Services Office cannot defer or provide documentation that payment is pending and the student must work directly with the Financial Aid Office to ensure you are not dropped from classes each semester.

Visit the Department of Veteran Affairs at to find more information. For questions regarding VA benefits, call 1-888-442-4551.

Visit the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) at to complete the application for educational benefits; the VA is responsible for determining eligibility. If eligible, the VA Regional Processing Center in Muskogee, Oklahoma, will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), also known as an Award Letter, via the US Postal Service. Bring this letter to the Veteran Services Office in May Hall Room 118C as soon as possible. Each of the veteran’s benefits below provides the following assistance:

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (VA form 22-1990). Pays the Student a Monthly Stipend for school attendance*;
  • Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation (disabled veterans) (VA form 28-1900). Pays tuition, fees, parking permit, and books directly to the University; also pays a monthly stipend or BAH (see VA website for details);
  • Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill (VA form 22-1990e (dependent) VA form 22-1990 (veteran). Pays tuition and fees directly the University; Monthly Stipend & book allowance paid to student;
  • Chapter 35 – Dependents Educational Assistance (VA form 22-5490). Pays the Student a Monthly Stipend for school attendance*;
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (forms are at your unit). Pays the Student a Monthly Stipend for school attendance*;
  • Chapter 1607 – Reserve Education Assistance Program (VA form 22-1990). Pays the Student a Monthly Stipend for school attendance*.

* Does NOT pay tuition or fees to the University; student is responsible for paying all tuition and fees to the University; VA pays all benefits one month AFTER the benefit is used.

Semester Hour Classification

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) uses the semester hour classification scale below to determine a veteran’s payment for Post 9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33 processing. The number of semester hours enrolled at Prairie View A&M University is reported to the VA.

Undergraduate Hours Classification
12 Full-time
9-11 ¾ – time
6-8 ½ – time
4-5 Less than ½
1-3 ¼ time or less
Graduate Hours Classification
9 Full-time
6-8 ¾ time
4-5 Less than ½ time
1-3 Less than ½ time, more than ¼ time