Hazlewood Benefits

The Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act) is intended to provide an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas Veterans and to eligible dependent children and spouses, in accordance with Texas Law.

In August 2009, the Texas Legislature added the new Hazlewood Legacy Program to the original Hazlewood benefits, allowing qualified Texas Veterans to transfer unused benefits to one dependent child. In August 2011, the Texas Legislature added the ability of qualified Texas Veterans who are deceased to transfer unused Hazlewood benefits to one dependent under the age of 26.

The child designee must be the biological, stepchild, or adopted child of the parent Veteran; dependent who are not biological children must be claimed as a dependent on a federal income tax return filed by the Veteran for the preceding or current tax year. The child must be a resident of the State of Texas, be 25 years or younger on the first day of the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed, and must be making satisfactory academic progress in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution. Only one qualified beneficiary can use the benefit at any one time. Veterans’ spouses are not eligible to receive a transfer of unused hours under the Legacy Program.

Hazlewood for the Dependents of Qualified Disabled or Deceased Texas Veterans:

Qualified Texas Veterans who meet the qualifications for Hazlewood and who are 100% Disabled as determined by the VA or Texas Veterans who died in the line of duty or as a result of injury or illness directly related to military service (as determined by the VA), missing in action, or who became totally disabled for the purposes of employ ability as a result of a service-related injury or illness qualify to pass their Hazlewood Benefit to their spouse and dependents.

Required Documents:

  • Hazlewood Application (Veteran and dependent application to transfer benefits) (Please complete all applicable sections) If the veteran and/or student is eligible for benefits under title 38, the student must submit copy of the Veteran benefit eligibility letter dated no later than 3 months to the date of application. {This only applies to incoming Freshman and Transfer Students}
  • Hazlewood Continued Enrollment Application should be filled out by all returning students that qualify for the benefits. (Use this form if you are a returning student from the previous semester.)
  • Copy of the Veteran’s DD214 – member 4 copy (Veteran must have served more than 181 days in active duty, discharged as honorable or under honorable conditions, entered in or declared the state of Texas as their home of record upon entering into active duty, and have not defaulted on any Texas state loans);{This only applies to incoming Freshman and Transfer Students}
  • Proof of Dependency (Child’s birth certificate showing relation to veteran or recent tax transcript or child support decree);{This only applies to incoming Freshman and Transfer Students}
  • Both the veteran and dependent must register with the Hazlewood online database system. The link provided will take you to the log-in page https://www1.thecb.state.tx.us/Apps/HSH/students/?CFID=351605&CFTOKEN=31218876&jsessionid=8430b4746c9ecf69cafe28486245774e13a6 (Please print the confirmation screen for both the veteran and dependent and submit with applications Fall and Summer)
  • Notice of Understanding signed by the student
  • Student Detailed Schedule

The Texas Hazlewood Act provides qualified Texas Veterans, their spouses, and children with an education benefit of up to 150 credit hours of tuition and fee exemptions. Hazlewood exemption does not cover your room, meal plan, books, Student Services Fee, parking permit, or other non-mandatory fees, which must be paid by the student each semester.

This is a state benefit and is not administered or managed by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The benefit cannot be applied retroactively for previous semesters (only for the current or future semester) in accordance with the policies and procedures of the university and guidance from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).

This program is administered by the Veteran Services Office in May Hall, room 118C in accordance with the Texas Administrative Code. There are no exceptions to the requirements to qualify for the benefit. All forms must be filled out and submitted each Summer and Fall semester, 7 days prior to the start of first class day. If your documents are turned in after this time period, you are responsible for the balance on your account until Financial Aid has processed your paperwork. Financial Aid will make the final determination of the benefit applied to your account.

You may continue to turn in the Hazlelwood Application until the last class date of the semester in which you are enrolled.

Visit the Texas Veterans Commission at http://www.tvc.texas.gov/Hazlewood-Act.aspx for qualifications, forms, and more details.

Certifying Official
Mr. D.M. Bowie
Email: dmbowie@pvamu.edu
Phone: (936) 261-3563
Fax: (936) 261-3584