The informal program allows students to access a database of Mentor Participants. Key information concerning the Mentor, including degree and year of graduation, will be available.
How do I participate?
Simply visit the Career Services Center or request an application form, sign up, and then use the Mentoring module to select the alumni you wish to speak with and contact him/her.
What do I say?
Prior to meeting with your mentor, you should go through a thorough self assessment and think about what you hope to gain from the Mentor Connection Program. Your mentor will expect you to lead the discussion and ask questions, so be prepared. Some questions you may wish to consider asking include:
- Why did you choose to study __________________ at University?
- What kings of things where you involved in while at University?
- How did you get your 1st job? Subsequent jobs?
- If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
- What is a typical day like in your job?
- What do you think it takes for a person to be successful in this industry?
- What can I do to increase the chances of finding employment?
- What do you think employers are looking for in a new hire?
- What do you think are some of the career options available for someone in my field?
- What are the typical entry level positions within your organization?
- What do you think are the factors that contribute to someone’s promotion?
- Why should I participate in an internship?
- Why should I participate in a Co-op Assignment?
The mentees are encouraged to send a thank you card or note to the alumni once the contact has been made.
For further information, please contact:
Career and Outreach Services
Evans Hall, Room 201
Prairie View A&M University
Prairie View, TX 77446
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.