A Brief Chronology of PVAMU

A Brief Chronology of Prairie View A&M University:

Download
PDF File

February 1876: Texas State Representative William H. Holland submits an “act to establish an agricultural and manual school for colored youths of the state.”

August 14, 1876: The Fifteenth Legislature authorizes the creation of the “Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas,” “established for colored youths.”

1877: The state takes title to 1,388 acres in Waller County for the site of the college.

March 11, 1878: Alta Vista College for Colored Youth opens with eight students.

1878: L.W. Minor of Mississippi named the first Principal (1878-1879).

April 19, 1879: The school is renamed “Prairie View State Normal School.” The school is the first coeducational public institution of higher learning in the state.

1885: First diplomas granted.

1887: The Twentieth Legislature adds “the Agriculture & Mechanical Department” to the official school name.

1890: The institution becomes a Land Grant College (Second Morrill Act, 1890).

1899: The institution renamed Prairie View Normal and Industrial College.

1901: The institution begins offering a four year course of study.

1918: The Prairie View Training School for nurses established.

1919: Four year senior college program began.

1921: First four year degree offered.

1930: College of Arts and Sciences established.

1937: Division of graduate studies added.

1939: First Masters degree granted.

1945: Prairie View Normal and Industrial College renamed Prairie View University.

1947: Prairie View University renamed Prairie View A&M College of Texas.

1947 – 1948: Dr. E.B. Evans appointed as Principal and subsequently appointed by the Texas A&M University Board of Directors as Prairie View’s first President.

1950: School of Engineering established.

1958: The institution accepted for membership in the Southern Association.

1964: First white students attend Prairie View.

1968: The Navy ROTC program established.

1972: College of Business established (degrees offered since early 1930s).

August 27, 1973: Prairie View A&M College renamed Prairie View A&M University and is an independent unit of the Texas A&M University System.

1982: Prairie View becomes a party to U.S. Dept. of Education’s Office of Civil Right’s lawsuit.

1983: College of Nursing relocates to Texas Medical Center complex in Houston.

November 6, 1984: A constitutional amendment restructures the state’s Permanent University Fund (PUF) to include Prairie View A&M as a beneficiary of its proceeds.

1998: School of Architecture established.

1999: College of Juvenile Justice established.

2000: University College established.

2001: The University’s first doctoral program (Ph.D. in Juvenile Justice) is offered.

2001: Funding approved by 77th Texas Legislature to support state commitment to Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Priority Plan.

July 2002: “Land-Grant institution by federal statute” added to Mission Statement.

2003: Dr. George C. Wright is named as the seventh president of Prairie View.

December 2004: First Ph.D. awarded (Juvenile Justice).

Note: For additional historical information about the institution, see Prairie View A Study in Public Conscience 1878-1945 by George Ruble Woolfolk (NY: Pageant Press, 1962)

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.