To be considered for federal student aid, a student must complete a FAFSA. The FAFSA is the only form students must fill out to apply for Title IV Aid. However, a school may require extra information from students for verification or resolution of conflicting information and packaging privateor institutional aid.
Overview of the Financial Aid Process
How to Fill Out the FAFSA
- How do I complete FAFSA if I am pregnant and a dependent student?
- I forgot my Federal Student Aid PIN. How can I request a duplicate PIN Number?
- My parents’ income was reduced through a job loss—what can I do?
- Steps to Apply for and Receive Financial Aid
- When do I need to submit my FAFSA?
- How do I answer the tax questions if I (or my parents) don’t file a tax return?
- I lost my tax information. What can I do?
- What does it mean if I’ve been selected for verification?
Complete the FAFSA by going to www.fafsa.ed.gov. Complete FAFSA by using your (students) and parent’s federal income tax returns and W2s. You will receive the SAR (Student Aid Report) from Department of Education.
You may request a duplicate Federal Student Aid PIN via the US Department of Education’s web page at http://www.pin.ed.gov.
Federal regulations allow a financial aid administrator to consider unusual circumstances that may affect a student’s financial aid award (s). Examples of special circumstances include: divorce, death, change or loss of employment, or disability after the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is processed.
In order to be considered for a special circumstance, please complete the Special Circumstances Form. You may obtain the form via our online Forms Library at http://pvamu.edu/pages/1950.asp.
Steps to Apply for and Receive Financial Aid
|Apply for admission to Prairie View A&M University as a degree-seeking student.
If you haven’t done so, Apply Now.
|Enroll in at least six (6) hours as an undergraduate or graduate student at Prairie View A&M University.|
|Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. You must be a citizen of the United States of America, or an eligible non-citizen. PVAMU’s Federal School Code is: 003630.
Fall Priority Deadline: March 15. Spring Priority Deadline: October 15.
|Complete and return the PVAMU Statement of Student Compliance with Selective Service Registration & Credit Literacy.|
|If you were awarded a Federal Direct Loan, you must complete entrance counseling and eSign a new Promissory Note. Otherwise, your loan(s) will not be disbursed toward your account.|
|Log into PVPLACE to get access to your PantherTracks.|
|Check your Unsatisfied Requirements and award status on Panthertracks.|
Title IV School Code: 003630
FM 1098 @ L. W. Minor Street
Memorial Student Center, 3rd Floor
Prairie View, TX 77446
P. O. Box 519
Mail Stop #1005 (MSC 309)
Prairie View, TX 77446
|Phone: 1 877 PVAMU30
Monday – Friday: 8:00 A.M – 5:00 P.M.
Apply Early! FAFSA is available for submission starting Jan. 2 of each year. Apply between January 2nd, 2011 and June 30th, 2011. We recommend completing as soon as federal income taxes are filed. Go to https://fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm to complete.
To simplify the application process, gather required documents and other information ahead of time. The following will also help you with the process:
If you will not file a tax return:
- Answer “Not going to file” to the “Have you completed a tax return?” question.
- You will then be taken to the “Income earned from work” question.
- Enter any income that you earned from a job that is listed as taxed on a W-2 form.
- Answer only those income questions that apply to you from that point on.
If your parents will not file a tax return:
- Answer “Not going to file” to the “Have your parents filed a tax return?” question.
- You will then be taken to the “income earned from work” question.
- Enter any income that your parents earned from a job that is listed as taxed on a W-2 form.
- Answer only those income questions that apply to your parents from that point on.
If you or your parent/stepparent files a 2010 Federal Tax Return, but did not keep a copy, you can obtain a copy from your tax preparer or request a transcript summary from the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040. You may also log onto their website at www.irs.gov to download 4506T (Request for Transcript Tax Return). Transcript summaries must be SIGNED by the taxpayer unless they are mailed DIRECTLY to Prairie View A&M University from the IRS. If you filed an amended return, you must submit it along with a copy of the original SIGNED federal tax return.
What does it mean if I’ve been selected for verification?
You were randomly selected by your institution or Department of Education for a review process. Documentation may be requested during the verification process by our office.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.