CARR is a comprehensive NASA research center at Prairie View A&M University. We are focused on developing capabilities and techniques that will lead to a better, more fundamental understanding of space radiation effects on devices, materials and the human crew environment. Our research emphasis is on tasks related to human space flight in conjunction with the missions and strategic plan of the Human Exploration and Development of Space (HEDS) strategic enterprise. However, our research is fundamentally cross-enterprise in nature since all aerospace activities take place in a potentially hostile radiation environment.
The basic mission of CARR has both a technical and a human resource component. The elements of this mission can be summarized in the following goals:
- Provide NASA with a radiation research capability to facilitate the accomplishment of their missions and tasks.
- Increase minority participation, particularly African-American, in science, mathematics, engineering and technology to the benefit of NASA.
- Add value, infrastructure and capabilities to Prairie View A&M University to the benefit of its current and future students, faculty and staff.
- Perform research and enhance the technical expertise of the students, faculty and staff to the benefit of NASA and the national economic competitiveness.
The long-range vision for CARR guides the activities of the center toward its goals. The elements for this vision are summarized as follows:
- Become an integral part of the NASA organization to support its strategic plans, especially as it pertains to human space flight.
- Recruit and retain students in PVAMU programs, especially those of interest to NASA.
- Receive worldwide recognition for cutting-edge research.
- Expand and enhance existing academic programs at PVAMU, and help create new one of interest to NASA.
- Expand and sustain interactions with other government agencies, universities and industry.
- Provide research infrastructure and management to support the strategic plan of the university.
- Develop and implement plans for mainstreaming and maintaining the center's activities.