Questions Asked by Employers
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your hobbies?
- Why did you choose to interview with our organization?
- Describe your ideal job.
- What can you offer us?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths?
- Can you name some weaknesses?
- Define success. Failure.
- Have you ever had any failures? What did you learn from them?
- Of which three accomplishments are you most proud?
- Who are your role models? Why?
- How does your college education or work experience relate to this job?
- What motivates you most in a job?
- Have you had difficulty getting along with a former professor/supervisor/co-worker and how did you handle it?
- Have you ever spoken before a group of people? How large?
- Why should we hire you rather than another candidate?
- What do you know about our organization (products or services)?
- Where do you want to be in five years? Ten years?
- Do you plan to return to school for further education? Education
- Why did you choose your major?
- Why did you choose to attend your college or university?
- Do you think you received a good education? In what ways?
- In which campus activities did you participate?
- Which classes in your major did you like best? Least? Why?
- Which elective classes did you like best? Least? Why?
- If you were to start over, what would you change about your education?
- Do your grades accurately reflect your ability? Why or why not?
- Were you financially responsible for any portion of your college education?
- What job-related skills have you developed?
- Did you work while going to school? In what positions?
- What did you learn from these work experiences?
- What did you enjoy most about your last employment? Least?
- Have you ever quit a job? Why?
- Give an example of a situation in which you provided a solution to an employer.
- Give an example of a time in which you worked under deadline pressure.
- Have you ever done any volunteer work? What kind?
- How do you think a former supervisor would describe your work?
- Do you prefer to work under supervision or on your own?
- What kind of boss do you prefer?
- Would you be successful working with a team?
- Do you prefer large or small organizations? Why?
- What other types of positions are you considering?
- How do you feel about working in a structured environment?
- Are you able to work on several assignments at once?
- How do you feel about working overtime?
- How do you feel about travel?
- How do you feel about the possibility of relocating?
Are you willing to work flextime? Before you begin interviewing, think about these questions and possible responses and discuss them with a career advisor. Conduct mock interviews and be sure you are able to communicate clear, unrehearsed answers to interviewers.