Student Organization Policy: University Police Presence
The purpose of University Police at an event is to keep the peace, to protect University property, and to assist the program sponsors in ensuring the well-being of those in attendance. An event may require police presence if it meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Is held in any University facility on University property
- Will attract a capacity crowd
- Is open to the public
- Includes a demonstration scheduled on the Quad or University grounds
- Is predicted to arouse controversy or potential difficulty with participants or non-participants
- Is predicted to involve crowding, drunkenness, or other factors which could result in physical harm to participants
- Has resulted in problems on other campus
Factors which will influence the number of police at an event includes, but is not limited to:
- Number of University staff who will also be present
- Contingency plans for action in the event of a problem situation
- Predictions as to crowd size and behavior
- Overall planning to insure an orderly, safe event
Upon registration of the event with the Office of Student Activities & Leadership and PVAMU's Department of Public Safety, a determination will be made regarding the need for University Police presence by the Chief of Police.
Final decisions on the need for and/or number of police necessary is made by the Chief of Police or his/her designated delegate. Organizations are expected and required to pay the entire cost of security coverage during the sponsored events.