The general policies relating to admission of graduate students to the College of Nursing are consistent with those of the Graduate School. Applicants applying for admission to graduate study in the Prairie View A&M University College of Nursing must hold a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), hold a current license as a registered nurse in the State of Texas or have an application for licensure in progress and be employed as a professional nurse for at least one year.
The applicant must also meet the following criteria for admission for graduate study in the College of Nursing:
- Submit official transcripts covering all periods of enrollment in institutions of higher education.
- Satisfactorily complete a basic statistics course and a health assessment course if not included in the BSN curriculum.
- Possess a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 hours of coursework toward the undergraduate nursing degree and a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B average) in all prior graduate course work.
- Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores that are within ten (10) years.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation from professional nurses, one of which must be from a former nursing faculty.
- Present a current resume´ or curriculum vita.
- Present official documentation of a negative criminal background check and drug screening tests.
- Complete a satisfactory writing sample.
- Complete an individual interview with graduate faculty/committee.
Post – MSN Certificate Admission Requirements
Post – MSN Certificate is offered for all degree options. Admission criteria are:
1. A master’s degree in nursing from an ACEN or CCNE accredited program
2 Official transcripts covering all periods of enrollment in institutions of higher education.
3. Current licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Texas or application for licensure in progress.
4. A minimum GPA of 3.0 (B average) in all prior graduate course work.
5. Three (3) satisfactory professional/academic letters of recommendation.
6. A current resume´ or curriculum vita.
7. Official documentation of a negative criminal background check and a drug screening test upon request.
8. An interview is required of qualified applicants
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.