|OSFA Information Memorandum No. FY08-09
Distributed via Campus Announcements and Financial Aid Web Page
||University Students, Faculty, and Staff
||Carlos Clark, Ph.D.
Assistant Provost for Student Financial Aid
||March 14, 2008
||Mandatory Financial Literacy Counseling
Beginning fall 2008, before financial aid (i.e. scholarships, state aid, waivers, and federal aid) is awarded; financial aid recipients at Prairie View A&M University ARE REQUIRED to complete the web-based USA Funds “Life Skills” financial literacy modules each year.
The purposes for this policy are as follows:
- Improve student knowledge of the importance of good personal finance habits (i.e., How to develop a personal budget?);
- Improve student awareness of identity theft and how to prevent it;
- Explain the importance of maintaining a good credit score and assist students with understanding how to read their credit report;
- Reduce the University’s Federal Student Loan Cohort Default Rate (currently 11.4%).
- Go to www.pvamu.edu/faid;
- Go to the “Financial Literacy Program” section;
- Click on your classification for fall 2008. For example, if you are scheduled to be a junior beginning fall 2008 then you would click on “Undergraduates”
- Below the LOGIN button, click on “New User? Please Register”
- Provide necessary demographic information;
- Select appropriate classification (your classification for the fall 2008 semester);
- Please remember, before the AWARD HOLD is removed, you MUST COMPLETE ALL of the modules associated with your classification!