March 26, 2007
Dear PVAMU Student:
The purpose of this communication is to inform you of changes in the financial aid acquisition process for summer 2007. The changes are as follows:
- There will no longer be a summer application for financial aid! In order to apply for summer aid, students must (1) pre-register for at least six (6) hours (2) have a complete and valid 2006-2007 Free Application for Federal Student Aid on file with the PVAMU Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Should you wait until regular registration to select your summer classes, please be prepared to pay for your classes ‘out-of-pocket.’ We can not guarantee that your financial aid funds will be available in time to pay for your classes. Thus, it is imperative that you pre-register for your classes (at least six hours) and if applicable, e-sign your promissory note at www.opennet.salliemae.com.
- All students will be required to (1) select a new lender and (2) e-sign a new student loan promissory note for the summer. You may e-sign a new promissory note at www.opennet.salliemae.com.
- Students deemed as making insufficient satisfactory academic progress towards a degree will be notified (via mail) of their status and informed they are no longer eligible for federal student aid. In order to receive aid for the summer, you will be provided with a very short-time frame to appeal for financial aid reinstatement. If your appeal is denied or your decision delayed, you may also want to prepare to pay for your summer education expenses ‘out-of-pocket’ and/or apply for an Alternative loan.
- Once grades are posted for the spring 2007 semester, the PVAMU Office of Student Financial Aid will begin packaging summer financial aid. We anticipate awarding summer financial aid to eligible students on or before May 21, 2007.
- Students that have exhausted their financial aid eligibility will be awarded an Alternative (Private) loan. You must apply for this loan at www.opennet.salliemae.com. Students that find that they do not have enough federal aid to cover the cost of their education may also apply for an alternative loan.
We appreciate your continued patience and patronage as we strive to meet your educational financing needs. Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to call your Financial Aid Specialist at (936) 261-1000.
PVAMU Office of Student Financial Aid