Majors and Minors
All theatre majors and minors meet with the Department Director for advisement at least once per semester to monitor and discuss student academic progress, artistic growth and degree plan completion. Advisement is required for students to receive their alternate pin and approval to register for Theatre classes in the following semester. Additional advisement appointments and evaluations may held and requested, as needed.
Theatre Majors and Minors are expected to be familiar with and understand their Degree Plan, the required theatre courses and the order in which those courses are taken. This information is shared during the Wednesday Department meetings at the beginning of Fall semester and available to students in the Requirements and Regulations for Academic Progress and the Theatre Student Handbook . Students are expected to take initiative for their academic progress and degree completion.
Sign-up for Advisement
- Advisement appointments are available 2-3 weeks after Mid-Terms each semester. Sign-up sheets for appointment slots will be posted in the Theatre Hallway. Write your name next to your desired slot.
- Unscheduled, walk-in advisement appointments are not available.
- Students should not schedule their advisement during class time. Advisement is not a valid excuse for class absences or tardiness.
Cancel/Reschedule Advisement Appointments
- Remove your name from the Advisement Sign-up Sheet in the Theatre Hallway and sign-up for a different date. Same-day cancellations should be emailed to the Program Director in addition to removing your name from the sign-up sheet.
- If you are late to your advisement appointment or are not prepared with the necessary paperwork and documents, your appointment will be cancelled. Cancelled or missed appointments are rescheduled according to the availability of the Program Director and may delay the students eligibility to register for courses when University Registration opens for the next semester.
Prepare for Advisement
- Complete the Theatre Degree Plan Checklist and bring it to your appointment. Fill in the Mid-Term and Final grades for all of the classes you have take so far (in pencil). The classes that are left blank are the ones you need to take in order to complete your degree. Use this form to help you decide which classes you will take in the next semester. For many Theatre classes there are pre-requisite courses that must be taken first. Pay attention to pre-requisites to know which Theatre classes you are eligible to take and which have to be taken in a certain order (i.e. Intro to Acting, Intermediate Acting, Advanced Acting, etc). Students must update this form every semester to track their own degree progress and bring the form to every advisement.
- Bring a print-out of your Mid-Term grades in each class for the current semester. You can access these via PantherTracks/PV Place. You may also use your cell phone, iPad or Laptop to display your Mid-Term grades when you come to advisement–but have the grades pulled up before the start of your appointment.
- Complete the Registration and Special Approval Form with the classes that you anticipate taking in the next semester. (Freshmen and Theatre Minors need only list the Theatre classes you are planning to take in the next semester. Upperclassmen Theatre Majors must list their anticipated Theatre and Core classes.) Fill out the form in pencil in case changes need to be made during your advisement. Consult the Theatre Degree Plan Checklist, Theatre Course Offerings by Semester, Course Descriptions (which also lists pre-requisites) for which theatre classes that you are eligible to take and need to take toward your degree completion.
- Freshmen/Transfer students should meet with their CGPals for guidance on how to complete the forms, when preparing for their first advisement appointment.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.