The Black Foxes Audition
Black Foxes Audition Requirements
Auditions have been scheduled for APRIL 8TH, 2017!!!
Check-in/Warm-up – 8:30 a.m.
Auditions begin promptly at 9:30 a.m.
Location: MSC Ballroom
Before You Arrive
There is a non-refundable $25 audition fee. Fee should be paid via the online payment site. No checks, money orders or cash will be accepted. Click HERE for the online payment site.
Fill out our online application, which can be found at Black Fox Audition Application. We are only accepting applications online. It is highly important that you read thoroughly, complete and submit this application prior to arriving for the audition.
What to Bring
- A headshot photograph. Photographs will not be returned.
Note: Please note that “selfies”, and photos printed on copy paper are not suitable to be submitted as a headshot. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please contact us for guidance.
- A copy of your most recent transcript (current Prairie View students only). Please note that all current Prairie View student candidates must have a 2.5 GPA to audition. High school candidates must be accepted by the University before the audition date. No GPA required for high school candidates accepted into the University.
- CD or digital device containing your music for your solo. Please make sure that your music device operates properly and that your music is cued to exactly where it should begin.
- Any attire or props required for your solo
- Bring lunch, water, and snacks in preparation for a long day.
Candidates are asked to wear the following:
- Black sports bra or midriff dance top
- Black Boy Shorts
- Flesh colored (suntan, nude, etc.) dance tights
- Black or Tan jazz shoes or Black dance sneakers
Note: Proper footwear is very important in an audition. Please NO basketball sneakers, fashion sneakers (Keds, Converse, etc.) or fashion shoes/boots. Ballet slippers are allowed if you do not own jazz shoes. It is suggested that you bring both jazz shoes and dance sneakers (if you have both) to accommodate any floor surface. We want you to feel as comfortable as possible during your audition.
- No jewelry is permitted, except for small earring studs.
- Please come properly made up for your audition. You should strive to look your best in regards to hair and make-up.
Preliminary Auditions will be conducted in 4 rounds:
Round 1 –Solo Dance – Dancers will present prepared choreography showcasing their dance strengths and performance quality. Solo should be costumed and one minute and 30 seconds long.
- Solo Guidelines
- Please refrain from using vulgar or otherwise inappropriate music.
- Solo routine should showcase your strengths and personality. It is your chance to show the judges your uniqueness.
- Sometimes less is more. If a prop or theme interferes with the execution of your routine, consider eliminating the prop or changing your theme.
Round 2 – Basic Skills/Across the Floor- Dancers will need to demonstrate dance agility, showmanship, energy and proficiency in standalone skills and moving combinations. Candidates will be asked to execute the following skills:
- Splits (right, left, center)
- Jazz Walks
- Pas de Bourrée
- High Kicks (Battemént)
- Chassé Split Leap
- Chassé Split Leap in 2nd position
- Toe Touch Jump
- Chainé Turn
- Piqué Turn
- Pas dé Bourrée, Single Pirouette
- Pas dé Bourrée, Double Pirouette
- Heel Stretch
- Turning leap in 2nd position (Video)
- Turning “C” Jump (Video)
Note: If you need assistance with some of the ballet terms, you can google/search for them and locate definitions, pictures and videos of the ballet moves. An excellent YouTube channel that features videos of these moves is the “Just for Kix” Youtube channel.
Round 3 – Group Dance – Dancers will be required to demonstrate proficiency in 2 phases of this round:
- Stand Routines – Dancers will be taught short stand routines indicative of the Fox dance style. This will allow judges to see how well a candidate can perform in the expected style.
- Short Routine – Dancers will also be taught a short routine representative of the Black Foxes field show routines that candidates will be seeing for the first time at the audition. This will allow judges to see how quickly a candidate picks up choreography and assess their ability to memorize and retain what they have learned.
Dancers will be evaluated on how they perform with group members, how quickly they pick up the material, and how well they perform the material, showmanship and poise.
Round 4 – Interview – Dancers will be asked questions by the judges to evaluate their speaking ability, poise and maturity.
There will be cuts after each round. If you are excused after a round you will not be able to remain in the recital hall as the audition process is closed to spectators. All audition rounds and performances will be recorded, and ALL judges decisions are FINAL.
Follow us on Instagram @pvblackfoxes and on Facebook for any updates or news.
Dr. Tim Zachery
Director of Bands
Prairie View A & M University