Library Distance Services FAQ


May I use these services?

You must be enrolled in an online course, a TV course, or an off-campus learning course administered by PVAMU in order receive these services. If you are also enrolled in on-campus courses we request that you visit the library in person rather than request materials by mail.

When you request research help or materials as a distance education learner you will be required to submit the course and location information. The forms that you submit to us online will have to be filled out completely with this information.

Do I need a library card?

No, you do not need a library card to take advantage of these services. When you request distance education services from the library you will be required to submit your name, address, phone number, and information pertaining to the class you are taking off-campus. You may still wish to apply for a TexShare and HARLiC card, however, so that you may check books out from other libraries in the area. Please see our Interlibrary Loan help page for more information on the TexShare and HARLiC cards.

How do I find out whether you have a book that I need?

Search the PVAMU Online Catalog (https://voyager-pv.tamu.edu/) to locate the books you need. For help with searching see our How to search… page.

I found a book in the PVAMU Online Catalog. Can I get it from you?

Fill out the Distance Education Materials Request Form completely. If the book is available for check-out we will check it out to you and mail it to you free of charge. You will need to send it to the library via return post so that it gets to us by the due date in order to avoid overdue charges.

Some materials may not be checked out. Reference books, rare books and videocassettes may not leave the library. We are happy to photocopy chapters or pages from these books for you. We may not under any circumstances photocopy more than a chapter of a book for you, however.

How can I find journal articles?

You can do this one of several ways.

If you know the title, journal, and issue of the article you may send a Distance Education Materials Request Form and we will either email or snail mail your article to you free of charge. If you haven’t found an article yet, you will need to use a resource for doing so. You can use paper, CD-ROM, or online indexes at many libraries. Some indexes are freely available on the WWW. Once you have located the title of the article, name of the journal, and issue number and pages you can send us the Distance Education Materials Request Form. You will need a dialup account to access our paid subscription databases, some of which include full-text articles.

If you need help with your research, then you may either send a Distance Education Research Help Form or give the us a call at (713) 790-7282. We can help you with your research.

Can you email articles to me?

We will be happy to email articles to you if they are in electronic format already. You will need to fill out a Distance Education Materials Request Form in order to receive articles. If you have an email address we will email them to you if the article is available to us electronically in order to avoid postage charges.

Please note, however, that we cannot do your research for you. You may not send us a request for “5 articles on horses” and leave the research to us.

How much does it cost to have PVAMU Library materials sent to me?

We will send you books and articles at no cost. You must have them returned to us at your own expense, however. Articles and other photocopies do not need to be returned. Books must be returned by the due date.

Is there a charge for Interlibrary Loan services?


I can’t seem to get into some of the databases. What’s wrong?

Some of the JBCL databases are not freely available on the Web. Access is restricted by IP address, which means that you must access the database from PVAMU web site. Please see the Access from Home page for instructions.

Can I borrow books from another college library?

Please see our Interlibrary Loan help page for information on obtaining TexShare and HARLiC cards, and the libraries participating in this service. You will need to send in a new Distance Education TexShare/HARLiC Card Application each semester.

How long can I keep the books that I have checked out from your library?

The loan period for distance education learners is three weeks. Returned books must be received by the library on the due date in order to avoid overdue charges. Books may be renewed by telephoning the JBCL Circulation Dept. at (936) 261-1536 by the due date.

What do I do if you don’t have the book that I need?

Please use the Interlibrary Loan Request Form . We will request this material from another library and send it to you free of charge.


Subject Content by Jean Brumfield, Distance Services Librarian
Maintained by Karl Henson, Library Webmaster
Updated 5/24/2012 


Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.