Title: Director, University Library Services – Retired
Professor, Educational Media and Technology
Office Location: John B. Coleman Library, 2nd Floor, Room 207C
• Ph.D. – University of Illinois (Library and Information Science)
• M.L.S. – University of Michigan (Library and Information Science)
• M.A. – University of Chicago (Educational Psychology)
• M.S. – Governors State University (Human Development and Learning)
• B.S. – Tennessee State University (Biology)
- 2000-2005 – Dean of Library Services – Professor of Library & Information Science
Florida Memorial University – Miami, FL
- 1993-1999 – Assistant Professor – Library & Information Science
Graduate School Wayne State University – Detroit, MI
- 1989-1993 – Doctoral Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant
University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign, IL
- 1985-1989 – Assistant-to-the-Director of Libraries, for Research, Grants, & Planning University of Missouri – Columbia, MO
- 1983-1985 – CLR-Fellow – Academic Research Management
MLS Program University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, MI
- 1981-1983 – Library Technician IV- Serials/Acquisitions Supervisor
Georgia State University – Atlanta, GA
Albritton, R. and Shaughnessy, T. (1990). Developing Leadership Skills: A
Source book for Librarians. (Foreword by Deanna Marcum,
Vice President, Council on Library Resources). Englewood,
CO: Libraries Unlimited, 300 pp.
- Albritton, R. The Founding and Prevalence of African-American Social
Libraries and Historical Societies, 1828-1918: Gatekeepers of
Early Black History, Collections, and Literature. In, M.T. Tucker (Ed.),
Untold Stories: Civil Rights, Libraries, and Black Librarianship,
pp. 23-46. Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Publications Office, University of Illinois, Champaign,
- Albritton, R. A New Paradigm of Leader Effectiveness in Academic
Libraries: An Empirical Study of the Bass Model of Transformational
Leadership. In, T. Mech and G. B. McCabe (Eds.) Leadership and
Academic Libraries, pp. 66-82. (Greenwood Library Management
Collection). Greenwood Press, Westport, CT: 1998.
- Albritton, R. Transformational Leadership in Academic Libraries:
An Empirical Study of the Model and Its Relationship to Perceived
Organizational Effectiveness. In, D. E. Williams and E.D. Garten
(Eds.) Advances in Library Administration and Organization,
Vol. 13, pp. 57-110. JAI Press, Greenwich, CT: 1995.
- Albritton, R. Continuing Professional Education: A Management
Development Approach. In, B. Katz (Ed.) Continuing Education
of Reference Librarians, pp. 237-255. Haworth Press, NY: 1990.
- Albritton, R. Perceptions of Transformational vs. Transactional Leadership
in University Libraries. In, R. Arheim, (Ed.) Proceedings of the
Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) 7th National
Conference: Continuity & Transformation – The Promise of
Confluence. Pittsburgh, PA: March 29-April 1, 1995. (pp. 205-206)
ACRL/ALA Publication, Chicago: 1995.
- Albritton, R. Multicultural Education in Library and Information Science:
Developing a Comprehensive Concept of Multiculturalism.
(Abstract from Panel Presentation). In, R. Arheim, (Ed.) Proceedings
of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) 7th
National Conference: Continuity & Transformation – The Promise
of Confluence. Pittsburgh, PA: March 29- April 1,1995. (pp. 205-
206) ACRL/ALA Publications, Chicago: 1995.Journal Articles
- Albritton, R. IFLA’s core program on universal data flow and
telecommunications: A Report on 1992-93 activities. Resource
Sharing and Information Networks. 9 (2): 163-168, 1994.Albritton, R. Assessing early outcomes of the intern-scholar Program at the
University of Missouri. Journal of Academic Librarianship.
17 (2): 77-78, 1991.Albritton, R. and Estabrook, L. A Research agenda for Illinois public
libraries. Illinois Libraries. February 1991: 123-128.
- Albritton, R. Continuing professional education: A Management
development approach. The Reference Librarian. No. 30,
p. 237-255, 1990.Albritton, R. Leadership development. College & Research Libraries
News.48 (10): 618-623, 1987.
- Albritton, R. The Intern-Scholar Program at the University of Missouri-
Columbia. Show-Me Libraries. (9): 9-18, 1987.Sievert, M. and Albritton, R. Investigating Computer Anxiety in an
Academic Library. Information Technology and Libraries.
7 (3): 243-252, 1988Other Publications (including Internet and ERIC Documents)
Web-Master/Publisher/Editor. AfriTECH ™ NEWSLINE: An Online
Magazine, and The AfriTECH™ Project Home-Page, 1998-2003.
Editor. The AfriTECH ’95 Newsletter. The Newsletter for the AfriTECH
Electronic Discussion Group. Volume 1, no. 1 published September
1994; Volume 1, no. 2 published December 1994; and Volume 1,
no. 3 published June 1995, as AfriTECH NEWS.
Albritton, R. Developing Leadership in Academic Research Librarianship:
The UMC Libraries’ Intern Scholar Program. Final Report to the
Council on Library Resources (CLR). Program for Recent Graduates
Grant #3103. ERIC Document ED-310-769. 1990.
Albritton, R. and Sievert, M. Investigating the Effects of Human Factors on
the outcomes of a Library Computer Literacy Program. Final Report to
the Council on Library Resources (CLR). Faculty/Librarian Grant
#5002. ERIC Document ED-290-485. 1988.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.