Minor in Communication
Students select any 6 courses with COMM prefixes, which allows maximum flexibility to construct a personalized program of study, with emphasis on speech communication, print journalism, or video and television production. All prerequisites must be observed, and for this reason, students are advised to complete COMM1003 and COMM1713 as soon as possible. 18 SCH total.
Minor in English
Students complete 7 courses including ENGL 3153: Literary Theory and ENGL 4433: Special Topics. The other 15 hours can be any 5 courses above the freshman level (2000 level and above). 21 SCH total.
Minor in Spanish
Students choose any 6 courses in literature, language, and culture at the 3000 or 4000 levels. SPAN 2023: Intermediate Spanish II or testing equivalent is the required prerequisite. 18 SCH total.
Minor in Humanities
Students who want to explore culture, imagination, and the human condition may want to consider the flexible interdisciplinary minor in humanities (HUMN), which includes courses in art, architecture, music, philosophy, theater, literature, and foreign languages. Because of the humanities’ rich legacy in issues of truth, knowledge, and meaning, this minor is ideal for pre-med students, pre-law students, and future educators in English, history, music, or drama.
- 18 SCH total from the list of eligible courses
- 3 SCH at the 2000 level or higher in a foreign language
- No more than 6 SCH from any single humanities prefix, including foreign languages, on the list of eligible courses
- At least 6 SCH at the 3000 or 4000 levels
Keep in mind that you cannot count the same class in two different places on your degree plan. ARTS 1203 can satisfy your visual arts requirement for the core -or- a class for the HUMN minor. It can’t do both.
Sample Humanities Minors:
- SPAN 2013: Intermediate Spanish I
- PHIL 2013: Intro to Philosophy
- ARCH 2233: History of Architecture I
- DRAM 2113: Theatre History I
- DRAM 3113: Contemporary Theatre
- ENGL 3063: Studies in African-American Literature
- CHIN 2013: Intermediate Chinese I
- CHIN 2023: Intermediate Chinese II
- ARTS 2233: History of Art I
- MUSC 2333: Afro-American Music
- DRAM 3123: Contemporary Drama
- ENGL 3243: Studies in American Literature
Questions about the Humanities minor? Ask any English professor for assistance.
The image shows Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci, American author Frederick Douglass, Spanish poet and playwright Federico Garcia Lorca; American playwright Suzan-Lori Parks, Greek philosopher Aristotle, and American actress and singer Ethel Waters. Photo of Parks from Eric Schwabel under a GNU Free Documentation License. Photo of Waters by Carl Van Vechten, from the Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division (van 5a52754).
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.