AVECTO: EMPOWERING YOU+
What is Avecto?
Avecto is an innovative solution that empowers users to manage (install, uninstall, update, remove, etc) their applications while ensuring privilege management and information security. Without the need for local administrator right, users across campus will be able to manage most used (approved) applications and tasks such as installing printers, updating a software, install/uninstall applications, etc.
When: Information Technology Services will deploy Avecto client to campus-wide computers (remotely) on April 6th, 2018, with little to no interruption to your operations. It will NOT affect the performance of your workstation. Once it is installed on your computer (no user interaction needed for installation of Avecto), icon will appear in the Windows system tray (bottom bar – right side – next to clock/calendar).
Following industry best practices, PVAMU adheres to the principle of least privileges (PoLP). Avecto allows adhering to PoLP, while allowing our users to manage most common tasks and applications. It allows our users the flexibility needed to perform their daily duties without calling the helpdesk, while ensuring compliance with security standards.
Use of Avecto:
Users can manage approved applications and actions without administrator account/rights or Information Technology Services assistance.
If the software is NOT on the approved list, the following image will appear on the screen. Users can open a ticket with ITS helpdesk at 936-261-2525 or online at ITS Helpdesk to request assistance.
Avecto – Approved Software & Actions
The following softwares and actions/tasks can be managed by users without administrative rights or Information Technology Services involvement.
List of Approved Softwares:
- VLC Player
- Cisco WebEx
- Google Chrome
- Google Drive
- All Adobe Products
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Respondus LockDown Browser
List of Approved Actions:
- Install a driver for a device (G. a digital camera driver)
- Install an ActiveX control
- Configure Remote Desktop access
- Install Printer
- Defragment Hard Drive
- Modify Display Settings
- Users cannot defragment the hard drive, but a service does this on their behalf
- Play CD/DVD media (configurable with Group Policy)
- Burn CD/DVD media (configurable with Group Policy)
- Change the desktop background for the current user
- Open the Date and Time Control Panel and change the time zone
- Use Remote Desktop to connect to another computer
- Change user’s own account password
- Configure battery power options
- Configure Accessibility options
- Restore user’s backed-up files
- Set-up computer synchronization with a mobile device
- Connect and configure a Bluetooth device