Prospective & Incoming International Students
Step 1: Apply for University Admittance
Step 2: Obtain Form I-20
The Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form I-20) is issued by mail to the student who has
- Met all admission requirements and has been accepted/admitted to study at the university
- Shows proof of financial responsibility
All information pertaining to applying to the University for admissions can be found on the Admissions website. The Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement requires that students show proof of financial responsibility and supporting evidence in order to be issued the Form I-20.
Submit Affidavit of Financial Support
The Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement requires that students show proof of financial responsibility in order to be issued the Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Student). It is required that the student submits an Affidavit & Financial Support Instructions and Supporting Evidence. This form must be completed by the party who is assuming financial responsibility for the student’s stay in the United States.
- The Affidavit must be completely filled out.
- The Affidavit must show that the individual will be supporting the student with at least the minimum estimated amount of financial support required. These amounts must be clearly stated.
- The document must be signed by the financial supporter and notarized.
- The Affidavit must be current within six months.
Submit Supporting Evidence of Financial Support
This document is evidence of financial ability. Supporting evidence may be in the form of bank statements and financial documents.
- Bank statements must include the current balance. Letters from bank officials attesting to bank accounts must state a specific dollar amount.
- Partial bank statements cannot be used as financial evidence.
- Internet generated bank statements cannot be used as financial evidence.
- Documents submitted must be an original document on the institution’s letterhead stationery.
- Documents must be current within six months.
How to Receive your I-20 (Mailing Options)
Students applying for F-1 visas overseas with an initial attendance Form I-20 from Prairie View A&M University may request that the University send immigration documents by express mail or United States regular mail.
- Regular Mail – Your immigration documents will be sent to the address listed on your admissions application by United States regular mail – unless Immigration Services is contacted with a preferred mailing address. Mailing times vary by country and the University cannot give an estimated time to receive your documents.
- Express Mail – Students may request that immigration documents be express mailed. Requesting immigration documents by express mail is at the expense of the student. In an effort to make express mailing simple and easy to use by students – we are now using eShipglobal. Through this company you may request that your immigration documents be express mailed to you through DHL or FedEx. You may request the shipment of your immigration documents by going to the following secure website: https://study.eshipglobal.com
To use this service please note the following:
- The first I-20 will be sent free of charge. (All additional I-20’s will be at the expense of the student.)
- You will be required to create your own user name and password in order to create an account.
- When you are ready to request the shipment of your Form I-20 – Select Prairie View A&M University and then International Affairs as the Sender.
- You will need your mailing address, email address, telephone number, and credit card information.
- If you have any questions about how to use this service – you may email the Support Team.
Step 3: Pay Sevis Fee
The Student Exchange and Visitor Information System manages data on foreign students. A SEVIS fee is required of all foreign nationals who come to the United States to pursue a full course of study. The fee is $200.00 US dollars and is separate from the visa application fee. The fee must be paid prior to the visa appointment. A student visa will not be processed at the embassy until the embassy can verify that the SEVIS fee has been paid.
The fee may be paid by internet, mail or Western Union. Any of these three methods will require completing of Form I-901. Fee Remittance for Certain F, J. and M Non-immigrants can obtained online at www.FMJfee.com In order to complete the form and pay the SEVIS fee the student must first be issued the Form I-20. The Form I-901 will require the student’s SEVIS identification number and the school code. This number will be on the student’s Form I-20. Once the fee is paid the student should immediately print a copy of the receipt. Students are advised to pay the SEVIS fee at least 3 to 5 days prior to the embassy appointment. The student is also advised to take the copy of the receipt to the embassy appointment.
Step 4: Embassy Appointment for Student Visa
Once the student has satisfied the admissions and financial responsibility requirements the student will be issued a Form I-20 by mail. The student should carefully read the Form I-20 for the earliest admission date for entering the United States. The student should also verify that all the information is correct on the I-20. The student should schedule the embassy appointment as early as possible after receipt of the Form I-20. At the embassy appointment the following documents must be presented to the officials at the embassy:
- Form I-20
- Letter of admission
- Evidence of financial support/affidavit
- Proof of payment of SEVIS Fee
- Valid passport
Step 5: Travel to Prairie View A&M University
After the student has obtained the F-1 Student visa he/she will need to make travel arrangements. When traveling to the United States the Form I-20, admissions letter, evidence of financial support, and a valid passport will have to be carried personally and should not be packed into checked baggage/luggage as they will have to be presented to the customs/immigration agents at the airport.
The closest airports to Prairie View A&M University are:
View the Map for directions to Prairie View A&M University