Frequently Asked Questions

  1. F A QWhere can I pay the SEVIS fee?  The SEVIS fee cannot be paid to the University or the Embassy. This fee must be paid to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). You may pay online with a credit card, Western Union or by mail. The University will send  instructions with your Form I-20. You can pay the fee or someone else can pay the fee for you. It does not matter if the fee is paid in the United States or outside of the United States. After you pay the fee, print your receipt immediately.
  2. What happens if I pay the SEVIS fee and I am denied the visa?  Your payment of the SEVIS fee will remain on the records for 12 months and would be useful should you wish to apply again.
  3. I paid the SEVIS fee and went to the embassy, however, they did not have a record of my payment. Why did this happen?  We recommend that once you pay the fee, print your receipt immediately and take it with you to your appointment. You may want to wait at least 3 to 5 days after paying the fee for the data to reach the system at the Department of Homeland Security.
  4. How do I know by which date I should plan to arrive in the U.S.   Check your I-20, it will state the earliest admission date that you can arrive.
  5. I applied to more than one school and received an I-20 for each school – which one do I use to enter the United States?  Prior to going to the embassy the first thing you want to do is decide which school you want to attend. If you decide to attend a school other than the school whose I-20 you used for visa issuance please contact the school whose I-20 you used to enter the United States.
  6. As an international student can I work once I arrive in the U.S.?  International students in F-1 status who are maintaining legal student status and are enrolled for a full course of study at the University may work on-campus for no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. During holidays and vacation periods you may work full time.
  7. My spouse will come to the United States as my dependent – will my spouse be able to attend school? Yes. Your spouse will have F-2 status and will be able to attend school but on a part-time basis. If your spouse wants to attend school as a full-time student your spouse will need to apply for a change of status to F-1.
  8. Will my spouse on F-2 status be able to work in the United States?  No. Your spouse on F-2 status will not be able to work in the United States and your spouse will not be eligible for a social security number.