Medical Insurance Requirement & Waiver Process
All international students attending Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) are required to have medical insurance. The Texas A&M University System (TAMUS) has mandated that all system schools use the same health care policy in order to comply with the Affordable Care Act. The mandatory insurance provider for international students is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Prairie View A&M University international students will be required to apply for coverage through the University. Proof of medical insurance coverage will be required prior to registration. Please visit PVAMU’s insurance website, Academic Health Plans for more information: Academic Health Plans
Insurance premiums are as follow:
New Premium – Effective Fall 2016:
The new insurance premium is $947.00 for F-2 dependents of the F-1 students, can be paid at PANTHERS MARKET PLACE https://secure.touchnet.com/C20166_ustores/web/store_main.jsp?STOREID=41.
F-1 students will be billed upon registration.
|Student||$ 947.00||$ 947.00||$ 556.00|
|Spouse||$ 947.00||$ 947.00||$ 556.00|
|Children||$ 1,526.00||$ 1,526.00||$ 895.00|
|Spouse & Children||$ 2,473.00||$ 2,473.00||$ 1,451.00|
Medical Insurance Waiver
F1 and J1 visa status students who wish to be waived from the mandatory student health insurance plan must submit a waiver application online. This does not apply to students who are covered under the graduate assistantship plan.
The online waiver for Summer 2017 is available from May 18, 2017 through June 1, 2017.
Waiver Guidelines: Who is eligible to waive?
- Student is sponsored by the United States government.
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP (student health insurance plan).
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP (student health insurance plan).
- The insurance coverage must be in effect on or before 05/17/2017.
- Policy provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits.
- Policies annual Deductible of no more than U.S. $500. (Except for employer plans)
- Policy contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Proof of Repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000.
- Proof of expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of no less than $50,000.
To apply for a waiver you will need to do the following:
- Your TAMU-Prairie View student ID number
- Have an electronic copy of your current insurance card, Policy Benefit Summary (including exclusions) and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage available).
- Go to https://pvamu.myahpcare.com
- Select the ‘Waiver’ tab
- Review the waiver criteria.
- If your plan meets the criteria, select the “Click Here to Submit Your Waiver…’ link at the bottom of the page to continue
- Login to waiver system by using the following:
Login: Student ID #
Password: Password you selected
If this is your first time to submit a waiver select the ‘New Student Registration’ link.
- On the waiver home page, click on the red waiver button found under the “NO, I do not want the insurance” section.
- Enter your insurance information and attach your proof documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button at the bottom of the waiver form.
- Once you have successfully submitted your waiver request you should receive an automated email confirming receipt of your request. Please make sure you have received a submission confirmation email and print for your records.
Didn’t receive an insurance card or need a replacement insurance card – you can easily request an insurance card by following these instructions: