Student FAQ’s

How do I find a student job?
Student job postings can be located on the Student Employment website on the Student Employment website . From the Student Employment home page click on the Job Listings link at

How will I know when I can begin working?
To verify you are eligible for employment on the 1st or the 15th of the month, you must ensure you have the ability to access a current time sheet through the Time Traq System. Prior to your first day of work, log on to Time Traq at If you are able to access a time sheet, you are eligible for employment. You may not begin work until you are able to successfully access the Time Traq system.

How do I obtain my UIN?
Your hiring supervisor will submit your employment packet to the Student Employment Office (SEO) after you have completed the SEO Orientation. Students no longer submit their employment packets directly to the SEO. The check list provided in your employment package (front cover sheet) can be used to ensure all required documents have been completed and included. You are required to present original identification to the SEO as per the Lists of Acceptable Documents provided with the I-9 Form during the SEO orientation. Upon receipt of your completed packet from the hiring supervisor the SEO office will process your paperwork to generate a UIN. You will receive your UIN after you have attended orientation and the hiring supervisor has submitted all required documents. This process takes up to 24 hours. You will use your UIN to complete the online training. Print your training transcript and resubmit your completed packet back to SEO for final processing.

How can I sign up to attend orientation?
Students do not need to sign up to attend orientation.  Completing the New Hire or Rehire Orientation ONLINE is the first step in completing the employment packets.  The orientations walk the student worker through the entire hiring process.

Will I be paid minimum wage for any job I accept?
Yes, all positions will pay minimum wage or more. Please refer to the Wage Table on the SEO website.

How do I sign up for direct deposit?
You may sign up for direct deposit online through HR Connect at Click the Payroll tab and input your bank routing and account number.

How will I receive my W2 tax withholding statement?
The PVAMU Payroll Office will mail your W-2 to the mailing address you have listed in HR Connect. Be sure to review and update your information at You can also sign up to receive your W2 electronically through HR Connect.

Can I work when my class is canceled?
You may work as long as you have proof that the class is cancelled.

Can I have more than one student job at a time?
, you may only have 1 on campus student job at a time.

How many hours per week can I work?
Undergraduate students
may work up to 20 hours per week.
Graduate students are allowed to work up to 20 (Teaching) or 25 (Non-Teaching) hours per week.
Internship students are allowed to work up to 30 hours per week.

Can I be hired as a work study-student without a work-study award?
students have to apply for financial aid and demonstrate financial need to be awarded a work-study award as part of a financial aid package. However, you may obtain employment under the student hourly program.

Because I have been awarded work-study, am I guaranteed work-study employment?
, it is your responsibility to find a work-study job, by searching through jobs on the website, then contacting employers and arranging interviews. Receiving work study does not guarantee you will be hired in a work-study job.

What happens if I do not earn my entire work-study award?
Nothing; you will not be penalized for not earning all of your reward.

What happens if I earn my entire work-study award before the end of an academic period?
You cannot exceed your award amount. Once you have earned your maximum work-study award amount, you must immediately stop working unless the department has agreed to allow you to continue working as a student hourly employee.

Can my work-study award carry over from one period to another?
, remaining work-study award amounts do not carry over from one academic period to another. The Office of Student Financial Services will re-evaluate each student after every semester.

I am an international student. Can I get a job and work while I’m attending the university? Yes international students may obtain jobs on campus. In addition to the normal procedures you must also complete Glacier, an online tax summary report.  For more information on immigration, please visit the International Student Services webpage on the Human Resources website.

What are the minimum semester hours I am required to be enrolled in as a condition of financial assistance for work study employment?
time Undergraduate Students receiving work study should be enrolled in 12 Semester Credit Hours. Part time Undergraduate Students receiving work study should be enrolled in 6 Semester Credit Hours.

Full time Graduate Students receiving work study should be enrolled in 9 Semester Credit Hours.

Part time Graduate Students receiving work study should be enrolled in 6 Semester Credit Hours.

During Summer I & II – All students must be enrolled for a minimum of six (6) hours in either session or enrolled for three (3) hours in Summer I and three (3) hours in Summer II to be eligible for summer employment.

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.