Hiring International Students

International students attending Prairie View A&M University are eligible for on-campus employment provided they are maintaining legal F-1 student status.  On-Campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session.  Students may be employed full time when school is not in session as long as the student intends to register at the university the next semester.

Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
The university is required by law to complete a Form I-9 on all hired individuals to verify identity and employment eligibility.  The Form I-9 will be processed by the Student Employment Office or the Office of Human Resources – whichever office having responsibility for processing the student’s employment paperwork.

On-Campus Employment Eligibility
Students eligible for on-campus employment must be cleared for employment by the international student advisor’s office.  Employment eligibility will be verified each semester of offered employment. Students who have  completed their course of study are not permitted to continue on-campus employment with the University. Additional employment authorization will be required.

International Students Who are Enrolled at another University
International students who are enrolled at another university are only eligible for on-campus employment at the school they are attending (the school that issued the Form I-20). Students wishing to be employed by Prairie View A&M University are required to have permission from the school they are currently attending.  An example of such employment would be Curricular Practical Training (internship).

Social Security Card/Number

The social security account number is issued by the Social Security Administration for employment purposes only. To apply for a social security account number the student must be registered for a full course of study and have the following documents to present to the Social Security Office:

  • An offer of employment with an employment start date.
  • A letter from the DSO (International Student Advisor).
  • Immigration documents (Passport, Visa, I-20, I-94)

Note: F-2 dependents of F-1 students are not eligible for a social security account number.  F-2 dependents are not eligible for employment in the United States. Further details can be found under Social Security Administration

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.