I-20 Form: Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status
The Form I-20 is issued to the student who has met all admission requirements and has been accepted/admitted to study at the University. All information pertaining to applying to the University for admissions can be found on the Admissions website. Once the student is admitted to the University the student’s file is reviewed by Immigration Services to determine I-20 issuance. The Form I-20 will only be issued after the student shows proof of financial responsibility. This proof will comprise of an affidavit of financial support and supporting evidence.
Financial Support – The Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement requires that students show proof of financial responsibility in order to be issued the Form I-20. View summary of Tuition & Fees.
The estimated cost for an International student’s expenses for one academic school year at the University is as follows: Undergraduate
- Tuition & Fees: $14,928.00
- Living Expenses: $11,131.00
- Medical Insurance/ Books & Supplies: $ 2,200.00
- Total Undergraduate expenses: $28,259.00
- Tuition & Fees: $11,897.00
- Living Expenses: $11,131.00
- Medical Insurance/ Books & Supplies: $ 2,200.00
- Total Graduate expenses: $25,228.00
Affidavit of Financial Support – This form must be completed by the individual(s) who is going to be assuming financial responsibility for the student while studying in the United States. Affidavit of Support Form.
- All sections of the form must be completely filled out.
- This form must show that the individual will be supporting the student with at least the minimum estimated amount of financial support required. The dollar amount required is to be quoted in U.S. Dollars only. Please take this into consideration when doing a currency conversion. These amounts must be clearly stated on the form.
- The document must be signed by the financial supporter and also notarized.
- The affidavit of support must be current within six months.
Supporting Evidence of Financial Support – The documents below offer evidence of financial ability. Supporting evidence may be in the form of bank statements and financial documents.
- Bank statements must include the current balance. For security reasons, you should block out the account number except for the last four digits.
- Letters from bank officials attesting to bank accounts must state a specific dollar amount.
- Partial bank statements cannot be used as financial evidence.
- Internet generated bank statements cannot be used as financial evidence.
- Any document submitted must be an original document issued on the institution’s letterhead stationery.
- The supporting evidence documents must be current within six months.
All international students attending Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) are required to have medical insurance. The Texas A&M University System (TAMUS) has mandated that all system schools use the same health care policy in order to comply with the Affordable Care Act. The mandatory insurance provider for international students is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Prairie View A&M University international students will be required to apply for coverage through the University. Proof of medical insurance coverage will be required prior to registration. Please visit PVAMU’s insurance website, Academic Health Plans for more information: Academic Health Plans Insurance premiums are as follows:
- Summer 2014: $320.00
- Fall 2014: $750.00 – Continuing International Students
- Fall 2014: $812.50 – New International Students – New enrollees
- Spring 2015 (includes Summer 2015): $812.50 – Continuing International Students
- Spring 2015 (includes Summer 2015): $875.50 – New International Students – New enrollees
- Summer 2015: $438.00
I-20 Mailing Options
Students applying for F-1 visas overseas with an initial attendance Form I-20 from Prairie View A&M University may request that the University send immigration documents by express mail or United States regular mail.
- Regular Mail – Your immigration documents will be sent to the address listed on your admissions application by United States regular mail – unless Immigration Services is contacted with a preferred mailing address. Mailing times vary by country and the University cannot give an estimated time to receive your documents.
- Express Mail – Students may request that immigration documents be express mailed. Requesting immigration documents by express mail is at the expense of the student. In an effort to make express mailing simple and easy to use by students – we are now using eShipglobal. Through this company you may request that your immigration documents be express mailed to you through DHL or FedEX. You may request the shipment of your immigration documents by going to the following secure website: https://study.eshipglobal.com
To use this service – Please Note the Following:
- Express mail is at the expense of the student.
- Your credit card will be charged upon your request (Visa, Mastercard, Discover cards only).
- You will be required to create your own user name and password in order to create an account.
- When you are ready to request the shipment of your Form I-20 - Select Prairie View A&M University and then the Office of Human Resources as the Sender.
- You will need your mailing address, email address, telephone number, and credit card information.
- If you have any questions about how to use this service – you may email the Support Team.
Obtaining a Student Visa
Once the student has satisfied the admissions and financial responsibility requirements the student will be issued a Form I-20. The student should carefully read the Form I-20 and check Item 5 for the latest date (report date) for arrival in the United States and also verify that all the information is correct. The student should schedule the embassy appointment as early as possible after receipt of the Form I-20. At the embassy appointment the following documents must be presented to the officials at the embassy:
- Form I-20
- Letter of admission
- Evidence of financial support/affidavit
- Proof of payment of SEVIS Fee
- Valid passport
The Student Exchange and Visitor Information System manages data on foreign students. A SEVIS fee is required of all foreign nationals who come to the United States to pursue a full course of study. The fee is $200.00 US dollars and is separate from the visa application fee. The fee must be paid prior to the visa appointment. A student visa will not be processed at the embassy until the embassy can verify that the SEVIS fee has been paid.
The fee may be paid by internet, mail or Western Union. Any of these three methods will require completing of Form I-901. Fee Remittance for Certain F, J. and M Non-immigrants can obtained online at www.FMJfee.com In order to complete the form and pay the SEVIS fee the student must first be issued the Form I-20. The Form I-901 will require the student’s SEVIS identification number and the school code. This number will be on the student’s Form I-20. Once the fee is paid the student should immediately print a copy of the receipt. Students are advised to pay the SEVIS fee at least 3 to 5 days prior to the embassy appointment. The student is also advised to take the copy of the receipt to the embassy appointment.
Travel to the United States of America
After the student has obtained the F-1 Student visa he/she will need to make travel arrangements. When traveling to the United States the Form I-20, admissions letter, evidence of financial support, and a valid passport will have to be carried personally and should not be packed into checked baggage/luggage as they will have to be presented to the customs/immigration agents at the airport.
The closest airports to Prairie View A&M University are:
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.