- Spring 2015 – January 12, 2015 at 8:30 A.M. – Harrington Science Building, Room 105
This session is an overview of immigration documents and Homeland Security rules and regulations for maintaining legal F-1 student status while in the United States.
This session is mandatory for all new international students – including transfer students. Failure to attend this session will delay your registration. Do not confuse this session with any other scheduled university orientations.
Bring your immigration documents with you to this session (Passports, Form I-20, I-94 document or any other document(s) that pertain to your immigration status).
All international students attending Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) are required to have medical insurance. The Texas A&M University System (TAMUS) has mandated that all system schools use the same health care policy in order to comply with the Affordable Care Act. The mandatory insurance provider for international students is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Prairie View A&M University international students will be required to apply for coverage through the University. Proof of medical insurance coverage will be required prior to registration. Please visit PVAMU’s insurance website, Academic Health Plans for more information: Academic Health Plans
Insurance premiums are as follows:
- Summer 2014: $320.00
- Fall 2014: $750.00 – Continuing International Students
- Fall 2014: $812.50 – New International Students – New enrollees
- Spring 2015 (includes Summer 2015): $812.50 – Continuing International Students
- Spring 2015 (includes Summer 2015): $875.50 – New International Students – New enrollees
- Summer 2015: $438.00
Medical Insurance Waiver
Effective Monday, November 17, 2014 – all international students who wish to be waived from the mandatory student health insurance plan must submit a waiver application online. This does not apply to students who are covered under the graduate assistantship plan.
The deadline to apply for a waiver is January 30, 2015. After January 30, 2015 no new waiver applications will be accepted.
How to Apply for a Waiver
- 1. Review the waiver guidelines below to determine if you meet one of the waiver requirements.
- 2. Should you meet one of the waiver requirements – follow the instructions listed below - How to Apply for a Waiver. Please allow 5 to 7 days for a decision on your application.
- 3. You will be notified by email that your application has been approved or denied. If your application is approved – you will be waived from paying the insurance premium. If your application is denied – you will be required to be covered under the mandatory plan which is $812.50 for Spring and Summer 2015.
- Waiver Guidelines: Who is eligible to waive?
- Student is sponsored by the United States government;
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SSHIP;
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SSHIP;
- Student is enrolled in only distance learning programs; or
- Student is involved in intercollegiate athletics and coverage for all medical insurance is provided through a policy as part of the current sports accident medical policy approved by System Risk Management.
- Must be an Affordable Care Act (ACA) plan
- Must include medical evacuation and repatriation coverage
How to Apply for a Waiver: For students who are able to provide evidence of their own insurance that meets the ACA:
- Have a scanned copy of your insurance card and policy benefit pages including exclusions as well as your school ID ready.
- Go http://pvamu.myahpcare.com/waiver
- If your plan meets the A&M System waiver criteria, click the button on the bottom of waiver criteria page.
- On the Student Registration page you will be asked to enter your demographic information and to select a password. Select the ‘Register’ button when done.
- Then on the next page, click the link under the heading Submit Waivers (on the right hand side of the page).
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.
YOU MUST follow the process indicated above. If you have questions about the insurance waiver process, please contact Academic Health Plans Customer Service at 877-624-7911.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.