Roles/Responsibilities of a Manager
- Manager must ensure the employee submits leave document in advance for planned vacation leave.
- All leave documents submitted by employees must be approved by their immediate supervisor prior to the date of the requested leave through the Leave Traq System.
- All leave documents must be approved, or rejected on a daily basis by the immediate supervisor or their delegate.
- If a manager chooses to reject a leave document due to inaccuracy, or due to a departmental hardship, then the manager must submit a comment on why they are rejecting the leave document.
- If an employee is unable to submit their leave document, then the immediate supervisor must submit the leave document on behalf of the employee.
- Manager must ensure the employee submits leave document in advance for planned Doctors appointments.
- If the employee is unable to submit their leave documents in the Leave Traq System (for extended leave), the manager must ensure that the Departmental Leave Coordinator informs the Office of Human Resources (email@example.com) and submits a paper leave document on the employee’s behalf.
- When an employee is out for more than 3 days, the manager must ensure that the employee submits a doctor’s excuse from their treating physician, before they are allowed to return to work. The manager must review the doctor’s excuse to ensure it includes the days the employee was out and the day the employee can return. If the doctor’s excuse has restrictions, the manager will determine if they can accommodate the employee with the restrictions set forth by the treating physician. The manager will then forward the doctor’s excuse to the Employee & Benefits Associate.
- When an employee is out on extended qualifying Medical Leave, then the manager must inform the employee that they must submit a Medical Certification Form completed by their physician. The manager must ensure that the employee submits leave documents on a monthly basis. A monthly doctor’s excuse should be submitted if the employee will be out for more than a month, to show the status of the employee.
- The manager and departmental leave coordinator will monitor the employee’s leave balance, and if the employee is close to exhausting all of their leave balances then the employee is notified of the Sick Leave Pool decision and the Employee Benefits Associate will complete the necessary actions to grant time to the employee in the Leave Traq System.
- Once the employee has been granted the time in the Leave Traq System, then the employee must submit their leave documents corresponding with the dates for approved leave time.
Sick Leave Pool
- When an employee is out for extended medical leave for them self or an immediate family member, the department must notify the employee that they may qualify for time from the Sick Leave Pool.
- The manager must inform the employee that they must meet the qualifications below to be considered for time from the Sick Leave Pool.
- Must be out for catastrophic illness or injury.
- Must exhaust all available leave.
- Must be absent for 160 hour
- If the employee meets the qualifications, then the manager will inform the employee that the following documents must be completed and submitted to the Office of Human Resources prior to exhausting all available leave. Sick Leave Pool Policy.
- Once all paperwork is submitted, the employee and the department will receive a response from the Office of Human Resources within five (5) days of submission of all completed documents.
- If the employee is approved for the Sick Leave Pool, the leave time will be granted on a monthly basis in the Leave Traq System. The manager is responsible for ensuring that the employee submits the documents in the Leave Traq System. If the employee is unable to submit their documents then the manager must inform the Office of Human Resources.
- If the employee is unable to return to work on the day specified on the Medical Certification Form, the employee will inform the department and the department will then inform the employee that they will need to start the process all over again to apply for time from the Sick Leave Pool.
- If the employee is released to return to work on the date as specified on the Medical Certification Form, then the employee will inform the Office of Human Resources that they have returned back to work.
- If there was any unused sick leave pool balance that the employee did not use, then the time will be returned to the Sick Leave Pool bank.
Leave Without Pay
- If an employee has exhausted all of their available leave and needs to be placed in a leave without pay status for less than a month, the manager should ensure that the employee submits the documents in the Leave Traq System.
- The manager/department will complete a Payroll Adjustment Form and route it through the appropriate channels, attaching Leave Traq documents and forward a copy to the Office of Human Resources.
- If the employee is placed in a leave without pay status for disciplinary purposes, the manager should inform the employee by giving them a letter.
- Once the employee is given the letter they should submit their documents in the Leave Traq System as leave without pay for disciplinary reasons.
- The manager/department should inform the Offices of Human Resources Leave Coordinator of the action.
- The manager should ensure that the department completes a Payroll Adjustment Form and forward through the appropriate channels and attaching a copy of the Leave Traq documents that the employee has submitted.
- If the employee is in a leave without pay status for a month or longer, the department will complete an EPA document to reflect the same information.
- The manager will need to ensure that the employee has submitted their documents in the Leave Traq System to reflect the same information.
Manager’s Inbox Your inbox is a list of documents that have been routed to you upon which you should take some sort of document action. Currently, valid actions for managers are “Approve” or “Reject”. When one of your employees (as defined in the reporting relationships structure) submits a leave request, a record is placed in the first manager’s inbox for that employee. If you are the first manager in that employee’s manager list, you will receive the document first. If you are the second or third manager in that employee’s manager list, you will receive the document in your inbox when the other managers have approved the document. This record will remain in your inbox until the document is approved or rejected by you, or cancelled by the employee or departmental administrator. Approving Leave Documents From your manager’s inbox you will select the employee’s leave documents that you want to approve, reject or cancel. You will select each document, then approve or reject. If you are rejecting a document, you must list a comment for the rejection. All leave documents must be approved on a daily basis.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.