Immigration Services FAQs

  1. I have received an offer of employment from the University, can I initiate the H-1B process myself?  No. The hiring department must submit their request to hire you as an H-1B through the Office of Human Resources.
  2. I am currently in H-1B status through another University and would like to use my same H-1B to work for your University – is this allowed?  No. The H-1B category is employer specific.
  3. Where can I pay the SEVIS fee?  The SEVIS fee cannot be paid to the University or the Embassy. This fee must be paid to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). You may pay online with a credit card, Western Union or by mail. The University will send the form and instructions with your Form I-20. You can pay the fee or someone else can pay the fee for you. It does not matter if the fee is paid in the United States or outside of the United States. After you pay the fee, print your receipt immediately.
  4. What happens if I pay the SEVIS fee and I am denied the visa?  Your payment of the SEVIS fee will remain on the records for 12 months and would be useful should you wish to apply again.
  5. I paid the SEVIS fee and went to the embassy, however, they did not have a record of my payment. Why did this happen?  We recommend that once you pay the fee, print your receipt immediately and take it with you to your appointment. You may want to wait at least 3 to 5 days after paying the fee for the data to reach the system at the Department of Homeland Security.
  6. How do I know by which date I should plan to arrive in the U.S.  Check Item number 5 on your I-20, it will state the latest date you can arrive in the U.S.
  7. I applied to more than one school and received an I-20 for each school – which one do I use to enter the United States?  Prior to going to the embassy the first thing you want to do is decide which school you want to attend. According to immigration regulations you must attend the school which issued the I-20 that you will be using to enter the United States.
  8. As an international student can I work once I arrive in the U.S.?  International students in F-1 status who are maintaining legal student status and are enrolled for a full course of study at the University may work on-campus for no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. During holidays and vacation periods you may work full time.
  9. My spouse will come to the United States as my dependent – will my spouse be able to attend school?  Your spouse will have F-2 status and must apply for a change of status to F-1 prior to attending school.
  10. Will my spouse on F-2 status be able to work in the United States?  No. Your spouse on F-2 status will not be able to work in the United States and your spouse will not be eligible for a social security number.

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.