Employee Relations FAQs

  1. Is there any policy addressing religious expression or material in the workplace?  There is no System policy, regulation or Prairie View A&M University rule specifically addressing religious expression or material in the workplace. However, supervisors and employees may want to be guided by the Guidelines on Religious Exercise and Religious Expression in the Federal Workplace.
  2. Is there a University guideline on employees speaking a foreign language in the workplace?  There is no policy or rule that directly governs employees speaking a foreign language in the workplace. As a good practice, restrictions on speaking a foreign language in the workplace should be limited to business necessity. For example, if the use of a foreign language is interfering with job performance or involves an issue of safety, the supervisor would be justified in requiring the foreign language not be spoken when involving those issues.
  3. Can a budgeted employee of Prairie View A&M University attend classes as a student during work hours?  Budgeted employees are eligible to register as a student for a course load not to exceed four credit hours in any semester or summer session. However, time off from the regular work week to attend classes depends on satisfactory arrangements being made prior to enrollment for the employee to make up the time outside of normal work hours. Employees must work the full number of hours for which they are paid, and class attendance must not interfere in any way with the accomplishment of duties or the work of the department or unit in which they are employed. Details are available in System Policy 31.99.01 and in University Procedure 60.09
  4. Can an employee work through their lunch period in order to work something like an 8:00 to 4:00 shift?  Flexible work schedules can be arranged as long as adequate staffing and supervisory requirements of the department are met and the employee works a full 40-hour week as set forth in System Policy 33.06.01.
  5. Is an employee required to give their supervisor or department advance notice of resignation, and if so, how much advance notice?  Although an employee cannot be required to provide advance notice of resignation, it is a commonly accepted practice and courtesy to provide at least two weeks advance notice.
  6. How much advance notice must be given to employees when terminating them?  Generally a minimum of two weeks shall be given when in the best interest of the University. No advance notice need be given for dismissals resulting from dishonesty, insubordination or disruptive conduct. Details can be seen in System Regulation 32.02.02.
  7. Can I bring my child to work?  The workplace is not an appropriate place for children on a regular basis for the following reasons:
    1. Children in the workplace create a potential liability for the department and the University.
    2. Children in the workplace disrupt the workplace both for the employee with the child and for the others in the work unit.
    3. Children in the workplace create an atmosphere that may feel un-professional affecting both employees and visitors.
    4. Children can, however, be brought to the office for brief visits or other times when common sense would dictate it is more efficient for the employee to bring the child into the office (such as prior to a doctor’s appointment or to pick up/drop off work). The child should not be in the workplace longer than 1-2 hours. Proper supervision is essential. It is important to note, however, that the University does not maintain any sort of insurance which would cover a child’s medical expenses should an accident occur, (Risk Management & Safety). It is not appropriate for children to be in the workplace on a regular basis such as after school each day or on holidays.

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.