If you work full-time, you the employee will earn eight hours of sick leave each month. You earn a proportional amount if you work at least half-time. Eligible part-time employees earn sick leave based on the percentage of time worked. The amount of sick leave that may be accrued and carried over to the next year is unlimited. System Policy 31.03.02. Leave requests are made through the Leave Traq system which is accessed through Single Sign-On.
- Employees may use up to eight hours of sick leave (Educational Activities) each fiscal year to attend parent-teacher conferences concerning their pre-kindergarten to 12th grade children.
- If employees or members of their immediate family become ill while on vacation, the time the employee or family member are ill should be reclassified as sick leave. Generally, a physician’s statement is not required if the period reclassified is three consecutive work days or less.
- New parents eligible for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) may take up to twelve (12) weeks, for the birth of a natural child or the adoption or foster care placement of a child younger than three (3) years. An employee who is not eligible for FMLA leave is entitled to a parental leave of absence, not to exceed twelve (12) weeks, for the birth of a natural child or the adoption or foster care placement of a child younger than three (3) years. This period begins with the date of birth or the date of the adoption or foster care placement.
- When an employee is absent for more than three (3) consecutive working days, a Medical Certification form or a physician’s statement that indicates the cause or nature of the illness and the estimated recovery date, or a comparable written statement of the facts concerning the illness from the practitioner will be required upon his/her return to work.
- Employee must submit leave document in advance if it is a planned doctor’s appointment.
- If the employee is out on unexpected sick leave, he/she must submit his/her leave document on the day of the leave and inform his/her immediate supervisor. If the employee is unable to submit their leave document he/she must submit it on the first day back at work.
- If the employee is out on Medical Leave for more than 3 days, then the employee must supply the department with a doctor’s excuse from their physician, stating the days absent and the date he/she will be allowed to report to work.
- If the employee is out on extended Medical Leave, then the employee must submit a Certification of Health Care Provider for Employee’s Serious Health Condition Form, completed by the employee’s physician, (Forms for employee(s) family member). The employee must ensure this form along with the leave documents are submitted on a monthly basis. In addition, a monthly doctor’s excuse should be submitted to the Leave Administrator if the employee is out for more than a month. If the employee expects to exhaust all of his/her paid leave leave, then he/she may decide to opt for the Sick Leave Pool.
Prairie View A&M University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Ms. Alexia Taylor, Title IX Coordinator, has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies.
Ms. Taylor can be reached at P.O. Box 519; MS 1100 A.I Thomas Bldg. Suite 102 Prairie View, Texas 77446 or by calling 936-261-2123.
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, visit http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OCR/contactus.cfm `for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.