Leave FAQ’s

What is a Leave Document?  A leave document is an electronic document that is used in place of the paper request leave form. It is assigned a unique document identifier (Doc ID).

How do I request leave?  You request leave by simply going to the Request Leave tab and completing the form. If a document appears when you go to the Request Leave tab, press the “new document” button and you will begin the process of completing a new leave request. Enter the beginning and ending times for the leave request, and the number of hours you will be absent. The system will walk you through a process for selecting the type of leave you are taking.

How can I determine the current status of a leave request? Find the document in question on your Documents tab (the documents are sorted by date). The current document status will be listed next to the document. If you need more information about the document, you may select the document (by pressing on the document ID) and you will be taken to the Request Leave tab. This tab is also used to view a document. Pressing the “View Actions” button will give you the full history of the document, and show you what approvals are pending.

My leave document has been rejected – what shall I do? As an employee, if a document has been rejected by your manager or by an administrator you have two choices:

  1. Reopen the document and correct, change or delete the items that are in question. After entering the correct information, resubmit the document.
  2. You may also cancel the document. You may or may not submit another document.

I am no longer an active employee; can I still access Leave Traq? Inactive employees (employees no longer in an active budgeted position in the B/P/P System Budget file) will still be able to logon to Leave Traq for a period of 90 days after they become inactive.

Compensatory Time / Exempt and Non-Exempt Employees

Are Administrative and Professional employees exempt from FLSA? Yes. At PVAMU, all employees classified as Administrative and Professional are considered to be exempt from payment of FLSA overtime, and are also exempt from the earning of, and/or payment of compensatory time.

How do I know if a Classified Employee is exempt, or non-exempt? For assistance in determining your FLSA status you may review your job title in the Compensation Appendices.  The FLSA status for the title will be E for exempt job titles or NE for non-exempt job titles.

Does an employee eligible to earn FLSA overtime accrue such FLSA overtime if they are employed less than 100% time? An employee will not accrue FLSA overtime until they have worked in excess of 40 hours in a designated workweek. An employee may accrue straight-time or state compensatory time for each hour worked in excess of their normal weekly appointment. For instance, a half-time employee who normally works 20 hours per week will accrue 10 hours of state compensatory time if that employee actually works 30 hours during a week.

What happens if I work on a holiday? In most cases, exempt and non-exempt employees working 8 hours on a holiday will receive 8 hours of compensatory time. Neither the State of Texas nor PVAMU have any provisions for double-time, or any other type of special payment for work performed on a holiday. If a non-exempt classified employee has completed 40 hours of work during a workweek and works a holiday during that workweek, then FLSA overtime at time and one-half would be paid for all hours worked in excess of 40.

I am a non-exempt employee, may I be paid for my FLSA compensatory time? Unused accumulated compensatory time hours shall be paid to the employee immediately upon the close of the twelve-month period following the end of the workweek in which time was earned. Once an employee’s accrual exceeds the maximum hours of accumulated FLSA “comp time”, the individual must be paid for each hour over the maximum.

If I leave PVAMU, will i be paid for earned, but unused compensatory time? Upon separation from employment, non-exempt classified employees should be paid for all unused FLSA overtime compensatory time. Employees will not be paid for any accumulated state compensatory time.

What happens to my accrued compensatory time if I transfer between departments at PVAMU? Upon transferring to another department within PVAMU, the surrendering department must pay out all compensatory time in the form of pay or time off.

I typically come in about 15 minutes early each day and leave at 5:15 p.m. Usually I close my door during my lunch and work for 30 minutes, or so. Should this count as FLSA overtime? Prior written approval must be obtained from the employee’s immediate supervisor and/or department head before overtime may be worked. Permitting overtime to be worked is the same as ordering or authorizing it. In this example if the supervisor is aware that the employee works through lunch, starts early or stays late, and exceeds 40 hours per week, the supervisor would be responsible for compensating the employee for that overtime. In this case the employer has a responsibility to tell the employee he/she may not work during lunch hour or during breaks.

Prairie View A&M University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Ms. Alexia Taylor, Title IX Coordinator, has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies.

Ms. Taylor can be reached at P.O. Box 519; MS 1100 A.I Thomas Bldg. Suite 102 Prairie View, Texas 77446 or by calling 936-261-2123.

For further information on notice of non-discrimination, visit http://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OCR/contactus.cfm `for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.